What's new

Bent Fatboy

This week, I found a 1961 Fatboy (G1) with display case for $10.00 in a local antique shop. The case cleaned up nicely. The razor, after I finished cleaning it, looked like it had been dropped and was a little bent (See pictures). I'm posting the pictures here for advice.

CAM00624.jpg
CAM00623.jpg
CAM00622.jpg
CAM00625.jpg

Just for the Heck of it, I loaded a Derby Extra into it and tried it out, bent and all, expecting multiple nicks & weepers.

Loaded up my SOC boar with Williams (OK, vintage Williams) and used #5 for the first pass, #7 for the second pass, #9 for the third pass and buffing.

What's weird is that I got a BBS shave with NO nicks or weepers. The alum block produced no sting, barely a tickle.

Had to be a fluke, right? Nope. The second day was a repeat of the first. So my first question is "HOW?" My second question is what should do to straighten it? Or should I leave well enough alone given the results?

If it ain't broke (only bent), don't fix it.
Sounds like it shaves just fine but you might have to give it a few more years of shaves to be sure.

Some of us are symmetrical minded and a bent safety bar staring us in the face each morning would drive us nuts. (I'm one of 'em.) I understand and support the "if it ain't broke don't fix it philosophy." But I would try to fix it, if I had confidence in my knowledge and ability and had the proper tools. Go easy and slowly, if you try to repair it with a pair of pliers. If you are successful it will endear this otherwise excellent razor to you

Too late now, but your razor illustrates it is imperative to examine merchandise before forking over hard earned cash for it.

The door misalignment may be from the fall, or it may be from gunk inside the handle. If the latter, give it prolonged soaks in hot soapy water while moving the knob and adjustment dial back and forth.

You may have an uncut gem in your hand. Or you may not. Good luck and let us know what happens.

If I got a razor like that for $10, I would definitely send it to Cap. When he was done with it, it would be worth more than your total cost. Absolutely, positively. JMO.

Maybe take a swing at tuning it up yourself? Easy does it and a little tweak here and there, followed by some measurements should do the trick.

With $10 invested, I'd take a swing at it if it was mine. If the results sucked, ship it off for a pro tweak. If it worked out well, lessons learned and have the satisfaction of a great DIY project...

/r

Allen

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
It's usually not the safety bars (how do those two hefty bars both get bent equally?) it's the T-bar that gets tweaked easily at the slightest drop on its head. And easily bent back if you know what you're doing. The Cap is quite adroit at this if you don't think you can manage. Just don't start bending the safety bars with a screwdriver, I've seen too many messed up that way.

But I would try to fix it, if I had confidence in my knowledge and ability and had the proper tools.

And there's the rub.

Too late now, but your razor illustrates it is imperative to examine merchandise before forking over hard earned cash for it.

At $10,I was happy with the case.

The door misalignment may be from the fall, or it may be from gunk inside the handle. If the latter, give it prolonged soaks in hot soapy water while moving the knob and adjustment dial back and forth.

Everything moves easily, so I don't think it's too gunked up. I think it got dropped and that torqued it just a little.

It's usually not the safety bars (how do those two hefty bars both get bent equally?) it's the T-bar that gets tweaked easily at the slightest drop on its head. And easily bent back if you know what you're doing. The Cap is quite adroit at this if you don't think you can manage. Just don't start bending the safety bars with a screwdriver, I've seen too many messed up that way.

What's the T-bar?

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
What's the T-bar?

It's what Cap calls the positioning bar in this photo. It controls the doors through a rod to the TTO knob. Slightly off perpendicular and the doors ride crooked like yours.

proxy.php

It's what Cap calls the positioning bar in this photo. It controls the doors through a rod to the TTO knob. Slightly off perpendicular and the doors ride crooked like yours.

You're right. Too easy for me to screw up. I'll either live with it or send it to Cap depending on the cost. Thanks for the advice.

This week, I found a 1961 Fatboy (G1) with display case for $10.00 in a local antique shop. The case cleaned up nicely. The razor, after I finished cleaning it, looked like it had been dropped and was a little bent (See pictures). I'm posting the pictures here for advice.

View attachment 832127 View attachment 832128 View attachment 832129 View attachment 832126

Just for the Heck of it, I loaded a Derby Extra into it and tried it out, bent and all, expecting multiple nicks & weepers.

Loaded up my SOC boar with Williams (OK, vintage Williams) and used #5 for the first pass, #7 for the second pass, #9 for the third pass and buffing.

What's weird is that I got a BBS shave with NO nicks or weepers. The alum block produced no sting, barely a tickle.

Had to be a fluke, right? Nope. The second day was a repeat of the first. So my first question is "HOW?" My second question is what should do to straighten it? Or should I leave well enough alone given the results?
Maybe this is the perfect razor for a Derby Extra? [emoji16]

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Top Bottom