What's new

Bent ajustables?

Good morning,

I've come to discover that a number of my gillette adjustables are no longer in alignment from side to side. One side will shave completely different from the other. While I haven't taken my guage set to them, the difference is visible.

So..... What can I do about this?:confused1 I'm starting to think that it is a common problem.

Your advice is appreciated.

Chris

I only have one Fatboy on hand, but I have a few slim adjustable and find them to be troublesome creatures.

Of my 4 slims, one of them has the guard bar bent, which twists the head of the razor into a moderate slant, another one can only adjust when there is a blade loaded in it, otherwise it gets stuck at the highest setting you set it to. It needs the blade to provide tension on the adjustment bars, otherwise they don't move.

The two other slims I have seem ok and the Fatboy is fine.

Chris,

I've found this to be a common problem on many of the razors I have purchased (both adjustable or not). Prior to using a razor for the first time, I always verify that the blade alignment / exposure is the same on both sides. If it is not, it is fairly easy to fix. (In fact, I've got a Fat-Boy and a long handled Super Adjustable which I will be 'tweaking' over the next few days. If I remember to do so, I will take pics of the process.)

I've found that misalignment is typically caused by either a bent guard bar, a bent side plate (the things that the 'silo doors' connect to), a bent inner barrell, or a combination of all of the above.

If the misalignment is caused by a bent guard bar, you can simply take a pair of pliers to it (being careful not to scratch the finish). I find it easiest to remove the 'silo doors' first, in order to get a better grip. Unfortunately, you will need to replace the 'silo doors' and insert a blade to check the alignment / blade exposure again.

If the misalignment is caused by a bent side plate, you can easily bend it back into place with a pair of pliers as well. You will not need to remove the 'silo doors' to do this.

If the misalignment is caused by a bent inner barrel, you will only be able to fix this by disassembling the razor :scared: -- something that I do not immediately recommend people do. I've only been able to successfully disassemble / reassemble Gillette DE's prior to around 1960. After that, you're SOL (that's Sh-t Outta Luck) my friend. Also, there is a tension spring in the handle of all the adjustable models, which is next to impossible to put back in place. :cursing:

Good luck!

Thanks for the info Ken. I'm glad to hear that it's a fixable problem, although what may seem easy for you might not necessarily be for me :smile:. One of these days I'll work up the moxy try and fix mine. I didn't even know that you could take the silo doors off without bending them all to heck.

You know I myself have a Futur adjustable,and a Gillette Fat Bot adjustable.

Both actually are fine, but I recently purchased a Merkur HD .

I think it is great and wish I had bought it before the other razors.

How many people who actully own an adjustable adjust it, it is only something to go wrong!!

Alan:biggrin: :w00t:

Top Bottom