What's new

Benji

It's more and more rare that I'm moved and excited by a new album. I love music and have since I was six years old and discovered the Beatles. I've worked in record stores, booked concerts, interviewed musicians and, in the process, built a mighty music collection.

Lately, I feel like the old man who feels like new music isn't as good as the older bands (I'm not sure I'd say this out loud). Favorites for me include the Beatles, the Replacements, the Velvet Underground, Van Morrison, Dylan, Pavement, Superchunk. I still listen to new music and occasionally fall in love (I'm looking at you Bon Iver, Vampire Weekend, Arcade Fire), but it seems to happen with less frequency.

Just got got the new Sun Kil Moon album called Benji. It's incredible. I've been a Mark Kozelek fan since the Red House Painters. Twenty some odd years in, and the guy seems to have hit a highwater mark. It's an incredibly listenable, moving, personal album. With 10,000 or so albums in my collection, it seems like something new. The guy is singing so specifically about his life and somehow it becomes universal. It's like the best twitter feed you can imagine. Compelling stuff. He's a great guitar player, too.

I love the feeling of falling for an album and this one has got a hold of me. I wanted to share.

Last edited:
Top Bottom