What's new

Bending warped Bakelite

I managed to actually find a case for my Schick type F, but like so many of them it is a bit warped. It works fine to display the razor, but the case lid is bowed in to the point that it won't close over the razor. Could this be heated with a hair dryer and gently pushed back? Has anyone had any luck with such a repair?

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
So I haven't tried to repair Bakelite with heat, but I did manage to warp something with really hot water, so I feel certain you can move bakelite with heat....I would be tempted to attempt it, but I would first clamp it in the position you want it to be, and then carefully and slowly apply a heat source. I took a WWII contract Tech case and "sanitized" it one of my germaphobic moods, not with boiling water, but with near-boiling water, and needless to say, the case warped ever so slightly. Please keep us posted....and I hope someone with experience might weigh in.

Oh and one more thing that you may have already done....try searching bakelite restoration sites....there are a couple of folks who work with celluloid (pre-bakelite) and bakelite items -- lots of stuff was made with it, and you maybe able to find someone out there who has some experience and can provide better counsel.

Also, heat may lighten the color of black bakelite -- at least that was my experience with my all black Tech case. I wish I could be of more help.

It looks like there is lots of info out there from vintage radio restorers. Apparantly Bakelite cannot warp after it has set. My case could be made from something called Plaskon which is also an early plastic. It can begin to soften at 200 degrees. I might start with a hair dryer once I screw my courage up.

So I haven't tried to repair Bakelite with heat, but I did manage to warp something with really hot water, so I feel certain you can move bakelite with heat....I would be tempted to attempt it, but I would first clamp it in the position you want it to be, and then carefully and slowly apply a heat source. I took a WWII contract Tech case and "sanitized" it one of my germaphobic moods, not with boiling water, but with near-boiling water, and needless to say, the case warped ever so slightly. Please keep us posted....and I hope someone with experience might weigh in.

Oh and one more thing that you may have already done....try searching bakelite restoration sites....there are a couple of folks who work with celluloid (pre-bakelite) and bakelite items -- lots of stuff was made with it, and you maybe able to find someone out there who has some experience and can provide better counsel.

Also, heat may lighten the color of black bakelite -- at least that was my experience with my all black Tech case. I wish I could be of more help.

were in trouble......you guys are the ones who should be "weighing in" lol

good luck and go easy.

camo

R

romsitsa

If it’s your only F type case and your first try, DON’T do it. Bakelite won’t warp, ever, if it’s warped, it’s some kind of early plastic or resin based material. Check for a makers mark, maybe it helps figuring out what it’s actually made of and wether that material can be manipulated after it had cured.

Adam

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom