What's new

Benchmade knife clip bent out of shape

Anyone have thoughts on what to do with a knife clip bent out of shape? I've had this happen on both Benchmade and Spyderco knives, usually not too long after I get them. They ned out away from the handle, and even when I try to bend them back in again, they don't hold firmly in my pocket. I've lost a couple of knives because the clip was too bent and it fell out of my pocket.

Are there aftermarket clips that will hold their "springyness" better?

depending on the model I think you can get a replacement clip or send it back for service. I've never owned spyderco but my benchmade is over 20 years old and the clip remains tight. are you sure that you aren't using the clip beyond it's capacity? mine is attached with screws and appears to be replaceable.

If you call or send an email to Benchmade, they might just send you a new clip. I know on some of their knives they'll send you a deep carry clip if you ask for one. If yours isn't bent too badly, you might be able to remove it, bend it back a little past where it's tight against the knife and then put it back on. Are you just clipping it into a pants pocket? That shouldn't bend it so much that it quits holding. Does the clip catch on things and bend that way? When I've bent a clip that's usually how it happened to me. I've also lost knives when a branch or something grabbed the clip and pulled it right out of my pocket without me noticing. If that's what's happening to you, I doubt an aftermarket clip will be better but there are some out there for both brands if you want to try it.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Send your knife to Benchmade for a spa treatment. Check their website for the form. I believe there is a place to write out what you need done. They will get back to you with a price before doing the work. The pricing is reasonable.

Can't imagine bending a clip too far out of whack by accident. They are pretty tough and hard to bend.
I have a Cold steel knife that the clip was too tight on so I slid a tapered strip underneath it to flex it out. It does stay but takes force to get it there.
Try bending it back or just ordering a new one. I wouldn't think an aftermarket clip would be better than the original.
Maybe they sell a beefed up version?

If you call or send an email to Benchmade, they might just send you a new clip. I know on some of their knives they'll send you a deep carry clip if you ask for one. If yours isn't bent too badly, you might be able to remove it, bend it back a little past where it's tight against the knife and then put it back on. Are you just clipping it into a pants pocket? That shouldn't bend it so much that it quits holding. Does the clip catch on things and bend that way? When I've bent a clip that's usually how it happened to me. I've also lost knives when a branch or something grabbed the clip and pulled it right out of my pocket without me noticing. If that's what's happening to you, I doubt an aftermarket clip will be better but there are some out there for both brands if you want to try it.
Yes, just clipping it into my pants pocket, whether jeans or dockers or suit. It may be that when I bend and sit and do other such things it may be stressing the clip, but those are such normal behaviors I would think the clip would have been tempered well enough to resist.

Thanks for the ideas, everyone. The clip I'm concerned about now is on a Benchmade I bought just a few months ago. When new, it was snug up against the knife scales, but now it sits about 1/8" or more out from the scales. If it goes like my last one, it won't be long before it's a 1/4" or more, and too loose to hold it in my pocket. For my mini-Griptilian, I just removed the clip, and it sits in the bottom of my pocket, but the Presidio is larger and wouldn't be comfortable carrying it that way. If past experiences hold true to form, I can take it off and bend it back into shape, but that just weakens the metal, and it will go out of whack even more quickly. What I was hoping for was an aftermarket piece that is tempered better and will hold its spring longer.

Top Bottom