What's new

Below the nose.

Hi, I can DE shave 99% of my face with no cuts, most of the time, but I always have a problem directly below my nose!
Any tips to avoid cutting the area while getting the hairs there shaved?

I shave up very lightly (from lip toward nose). Get's 'em every time. Remember, go slow and no pressure.

For me, it depends on the razor. With a milder razor I can do 4 passes and get all the hairs. If I try to go from my lip to my nose with a more aggressive razor I will get a nick. For me, it's a question of maintaining the right angle and using a very light touch.

May I ask what razor you are using? And before that, with what ever you were shaving with, could you shave that area without cuts?

May I ask what razor you are using? And before that, with what ever you were shaving with, could you shave that area without cuts?
Currently using A Wilkinson Sword Metal Butterfly DE Razor, have the same problem with all my other DE Razors, Edwin Jagger, Feather Popular, Lord L6, Etc. Using Supermarket Cartridge Razors & Gillette & Wilkinson Sword Disposables, not had that problem.

Currently using A Wilkinson Sword Metal Butterfly DE Razor, have the same problem with all my other DE Razors, Edwin Jagger, Feather Popular, Lord L6, Etc. Using Supermarket Cartridge Razors & Gillette & Wilkinson Sword Disposables, not had that problem.

One solution might be to shave everywhere but under your nose with the DE and then use the cartridge razor for that trouble spot. Hard to offer advice when we can't see what you are doing, but changing the angle of your razor and the approach + practice should resolve your problem.

You might watch a few shaving videos and see how they are doing it differently than you are.

So, this may seem silly, but I don't expect a N-S stroke to get the whiskers growing closest to my nostrils. I get what I can, but don't even try to get them all. The E-W and W-E strokes on the second and third passes take it all to BBS without the need for contortions or blood loss.

I only shave WTG and XTG on my upper lip. Never ATG which would have me going up from the lip towards the nose. My biggest problem area was just below each nostril. What I do is pull my nostril up with one finger and shave using the corner of the razor with short strokes to get as far up to the nostril opening as I can. I then repeat not he other side and shave downwards or sort of across the upper lip area. That works for me.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Under the nose is where I get most of my weepers and nicks. I usually go East to West and then West to East. With a smaller razor such as a Gillette Sportsman Tech and can usually get everything. With a larger razor such as a Fatboy or a Slim I might do a little bit of buffing ATG but this is done very, very gingerly.

I shave the mustache area last on each pass and pull the skin tight by pinning the body of the lip between my upper teeth and bottom lip.

I go N S on first pass (and miss a bunch) and then ear to nose and you can get right in there. Works well with local of different razors and gets really close.

I also only shave WTG/XTG under my nose. For large headed razors, I will sometimes pull my nose to one side, but with or without that I start with the blade right under my nostril and then "roll" the blade down until it's further towards my lip and in the usual shaving position. Pass 2 is ear to nose, and then I stop there. I find that mild to moderate razors work well with this technique; more aggressive razors can bite if you're not careful during the "roll" phase. I assume that the "roll" is much like you would do with a straight or shavette, although I've never tried one of those under my nose.

A 4-pass shave usually does it; 1st pass is down and has to be a steep blade angle, followed by 2 XTG passes and a final ATG pass upwards completes the process.

If I try doing a N to S under my nose with my bronze open comb timeless I get a little nik directly under the nose every time. It is completely user error. I just haven't gotten the angle right yet and every time it bites me. The solid bar naturally does not have this problem.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom