What's new

Belgian/Dutch/German Shaving Products

I tried several of the Palmolive (European) creams, the Classic, Menthol, and Sensitive Skin versions. I think they're very good, although I did find the Menthol one a little bit drying. The scent of the Classic definitely differs from the American Palmolive, I find it nicer.

Jeff

used the palmolive for the first time today. Good stuff and available for 2 euro's a tube (around $2.50) so you should definately pick up a tube or 2 of that.

Sounds like a sweet deal.

It always amazes me how well a lot of the mass-market European products perform at a fraction of the price of the high end stuff.

LX, I know this is a late answer, but I heard a lot of good things about De Vergulde Hand shaving soap, and I will be getting some in soon. I heard it smells very nice as well. A couple of years ago, I had the Palmolive soap stick, and I thought it was excellent as well.

Jeff

When I go to Belgium, I am too busy ODing on beer to worry about shaving products. I suggest you do the same. :wink:

Don't worry - I did that too!

Seriously, if you get a chance to go the Au Grand Rasoir, I highly recommend you do so.

Decent prices, great selection of Simpson and Plisson brushes, razors and accoutrements. I also bought a some tubes of Coates cream while I was there. They also have a great selection of pocket knives. The other upside is that you can get your VAT back on your purchases!

Word is that Amsterdam only now recovered from Scotto's last trip. For some strange reasons shaving soap and mattresses were in high demand..:a2:

crackstar said:
LX, I know this is a late answer, but I heard a lot of good things about De Vergulde Hand shaving soap, and I will be getting some in soon. I heard it smells very nice as well. A couple of years ago, I had the Palmolive soap stick, and I thought it was excellent as well.

Jeff
The Vergulde Hand soap is pretty good. I'm not a big fan of the scent myself which is why I gave it away to someone. But at 1.50 euro's it's definately worth the gamble.

Man, that's not terribly expensive, LX. If you want to really know about a good soap that's super cheap, try Arko. In Turkey where it's from, you'll probably pay 50 cents, maybe even less in some places.

Jeff

crackstar said:
Man, that's not terribly expensive, LX. If you want to really know about a good soap that's super cheap, try Arko. In Turkey where it's from, you'll probably pay 50 cents, maybe even less in some places.

Jeff
Whoa, whoa, whoa commandante Arko! It is not that it is cheap, it is inexpensive...:scared:

The De Vergulde Hand cream (not the soap) is also very cheap - 3 Euros.

Its decent, but no more - for about the same price, the Palmolive and Nivea are better products.

As for the Arko, I've only tried the soap - lathers well, does the job and is dirt cheap. I just find the scent too reminiscent of industrial cleaner and very strong. My shaving bag still smells like it - despite having removed the soap (which was in a ziploc bag) over a month ago!

Suzuki said:
The De Vergulde Hand cream (not the soap) is also very cheap - 3 Euros.

Its decent, but no more - for about the same price, the Palmolive and Nivea are better products.

As for the Arko, I've only tried the soap - lathers well, does the job and is dirt cheap. I just find the scent too reminiscent of industrial cleaner and very strong. My shaving bag still smells like it - despite having removed the soap (which was in a ziploc bag) over a month ago!

Thanks for the heads up, Crackstar can do without it then I havent seen the vergulde hand cream in the stores though anyways I better get going and see if the Truck I rented to bring the package to the post office for Jeff has arrived yet. monster weighs 1000 grams my poor back. filled with goodies that only fits an Arko King :em2100:

SSLStudio said:
Thanks for the heads up, Crackstar can do without it then I havent seen the vergulde hand cream in the stores though anyways I better get going and see if the Truck I rented to bring the package to the post office for Jeff has arrived yet. monster weighs 1000 grams my poor back. filled with goodies that only fits an Arko King :em2100:

Having said that, the De Vergulde Hand a/s balsam is pretty good, but it costs about 8 Euros.

I can't believe Jeff wants MORE Arko, he'll have to shave about 10 times a day to use up his stock - not including what you're sending to him!

:lol: :lol: My God, I'm PHREAKED out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Arko Rules!! But, hey, De Vergulde Hand as I understand is also great stuff. I'm always open to trying new brands. :smile:

Jeff

Suzuki said:
Having said that, the De Vergulde Hand a/s balsam is pretty good, but it costs about 8 Euros.

I can't believe Jeff wants MORE Arko, he'll have to shave about 10 times a day to use up his stock - not including what you're sending to him!

I think thats the priviledge of a King/President, thats why you and I arent Kings. :001_tt2:
Seriously there is an enormous Arko survival pack in it to make sure the next 3 years he doesnt run out,but mainly im sending the King Palmolive and V.Hand shave stick.

by the way 8 euro for a balsem is dirtcheap im getting some stuff in thats AU$60 list price what is in it? my youth back probably for the amount of money it better make me look 5 years younger or else ! :001_tt2:

guys, has anybody ever heard of LOCAR shave soap? It's made in Poland, I believe. It has a gorgeous scent, almost exactly like Irish Spring soap, a good lather, but unfortunately, it's drying to the skin. Check out the review I posted on it.

Jeff

Rene, bless you, I feel forever indebted to you, my friend! I won't forget this beautiful gesture ever! We can all be Arko kings if we truly want to. :lol: :lol:

Jeff

Top Bottom