What's new

Belgian Coticule?

I am new to this forum and to straight razor shavging. I picked up a handmade razor at the flea market here in town, the a strop, then this hone. After looking around I am questioning whether this is a Belgian Coticule.
I don’t know anyone who straight razor shaves so I am turning to the forum for help. Thank you in advance.

Regards,
EL5280

Attachments

• 3DDDF2BA-9B57-4538-95F5-792C8070F16A.jpeg
    3DDDF2BA-9B57-4538-95F5-792C8070F16A.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 85
  • 59EA13EF-4060-4494-A642-485CC244D02D.jpeg
    59EA13EF-4060-4494-A642-485CC244D02D.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 83
  • 1D0661D0-0F4B-4BA5-B3C0-D4EF4C3305F4.jpeg
    1D0661D0-0F4B-4BA5-B3C0-D4EF4C3305F4.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 80
  • 93A26639-40CA-45AB-BA06-199B3F050DAF.jpeg
    93A26639-40CA-45AB-BA06-199B3F050DAF.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 81
Welcome!

Before giving any advice, would you mind sharing a bit more background?

Where in the world are you? (this helps to point you to local suppliers)
You say you are new to straight razors, do you have experience with safety razors, and using lather built with a brush?
Can you give any more details on the razor you bought - where you bought it, the make, and if it was sold as shave ready?

I am located in Denver Colorado. I have shaved with a vintage Red Imp straight razor only a hand full of times. I have a two brushes, boar and horse hair, that I use with a puck style soap. My go to is usually a double edge safety razor (Merkur.) The razor I purchased is not shave ready. The smith told me it’s high carbon steel, it’s about three inches long about an inch thick, full wedge. He told me it’s honed to 4K. He sold me the stone also, told me it’s a Coticule. He told me to use the stone to finish the razor before use. I have watched video after video on Youtube and feel confident that I can hone correctly. My brother is more experienced in hones but for knife use. He told me the guy took me because of my lack of knowledge and sold me a run of the mill stone passed off as a Coticule.

Synthetic coticule? I’ll have to do some research on the subject. The straight razor world is full of opinions and article, after article, of information.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
He told me the guy took me because of my lack of knowledge and sold me a run of the mill stone passed off as a Coticule.
It’s not a coticule, but it’s also not a run of the mill stone either. These stones are quite uncommon and usually fetch coticule prices when they come up for auction.

If you email Maurice at ardennes coticule he will tell you if this is a coticule or not, for real, without speculations.

Thank you guys for the reading material. I sent my brother a link to the thread. I never would if thought to hone on the back side of that stone. Again, a lot of information to take in.

I didn’t think of emailing him, though he is the professional of all things Coticule.

I am certain he will say the same as we have. It would be very interesting to see if he has any further background info on these though. I'm sure the company was aware of many imitators over the years.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Me too. I’ve owned a dozen of those synths. They’re really easy to spot if you know what you’re looking for.

I wasn’t speculating. If it’s a coticule, I’ll eat it. :001_cool:

This is the response I received from Ardennes.

I doubt if I look at the side of the stone.
Test: take a few drops of vinegar or another acid and sprinkle on the stone. If bubbles appear, it is a limestone and in any case is not a coticule. For 30 years there were false coticules on the market made of lime and cement ..

Maurice.

This is the response I received from Ardennes.

I doubt if I look at the side of the stone.
Test: take a few drops of vinegar or another acid and sprinkle on the stone. If bubbles appear, it is a limestone and in any case is not a coticule. For 30 years there were false coticules on the market made of lime and cement ..

Maurice.
There should be a sticky somewhere about those stones it comes up so often

I don't think we need to wait, that one is pretty evident. Even the sides look like a stone from a mold. I'm in the "eat it" camp as well. David and I will have to share if we're wrong. :001_302:

Top Bottom