What's new

Beginning To Understand

Time, gents and ladies, can be our friend. I am fond of saying “Time has the final say—always has, always will.” It took time for me to learn to ride a bike, took time to mature (clearly still a work-in-progress), took time to learn proper technique so I didn’t irritate my neck so bad I could cook an egg on it. Time has apparently decided I’m allowed to pop my head in to the Big Boy’s room and take a deep whiff. I’m starting to ‘get it’.

The ‘it’ I speak of? Well, stick with me a moment.

The mornings here in the desert Southwest are, like everywhere in the North Hemisphere, beginning to cool considerably. I am well aware that as I write this there are warnings along the Plains and Northeast of record breaking lows . . . we here in AZ are not experiencing those (not that I’m gloating . . . well, not entirely :001_tt2:). But hopping out of a toasty shower in the autumn isn’t necessarily a pleasant experience; makes one feel alive, certainly, but we humans are better suited to a narrow temperature range.

I designated this morning and tomorrow morning as Proraso shaves: red today, green tomorrow. But I haven’t tried warming Proraso yet as I only acquired it during my trip to Italy back in Sept. So I took some water to just under boiling in the electric kettle and poured a little in my ceramic brush mug (nothing special, just a regular coffee mug), dropped in my Proraso/Omega boar, and filled my scuttle with the not-quite-steaming water, then poured some into the scuttle bowl itself — being mindful of simple physics ups the success potential.

IMG_2811.jpeg

I applied a quick bit of Proraso goodness to my face upon initial brush load then loaded a bit more and went to the scuttle bowl (after pouring out the hot water, of course). Man, that scent was something nice! If one can associate temperature with smell it was a wonderful, autumnal, warm yet earthy scent. I’m not huge on sandalwood, but this was on a slightly different level of good stuff, like when you get pizza crust just the way you like it or hear your lady laugh and see her eyes twinkle. Just an in-the-moment, pause-and-enjoy-life kind of thing.

I won’t bore you with the shave details, suffice to say the lather was beautifully warm, especially on the third pass, and the shave itself was the sort that confirms your day is off to a great start.

So, about the ‘it’. When I started this journey—a mere 10.5 months ago—I couldn’t understand how guys made such a big deal about ‘fall’ scents. I had taken up DE shaving on the embarrassingly false pretense that it was cheaper than the other way—if you don’t know what I’m stating then clearly you’re a newbie, and that’s okay, you’ll understand soon enough.

But now that I have close to a full year of experience, now I am finally beginning to appreciate the correlation between the change of seasons and the scent of the lather under my nose. It’s not a fully developed sense yet, I’ll cop to that, but like all good things it will mature. I have a tub of Soap Commander Refinement I need to revisit, TOBS Cedarwood, and Moon Soap’s Amaretto Speciale as well.

I finished college up north in Flagstaff, so I’ve had the opportunity to experience the change of seasons in northern Arizona, to feel the sharp crisp of fall, breathe in its quiet message of change, and listen to multi-colored leaves crunch underfoot. Now those warm, fall scents are beginning to make sense to me. Maybe this is one of the benefits of aging.

Cicero once wrote “Reason, when it is full grown and perfected, is rightly called Wisdom.” I look forward to that.

That was a splendid read, thank you! It's great to hear the stories of breakthroughs as they relate to our pastime. Congratulations, may you have many more wonderfully warm shaves!

never-stop-learning, no. As long as I can remember I've had a thing about penguins. Something about their aesthetic, the simple class of black and white. I suppose I have also found association with their curiosity and occasional playfulness. Never took to going long stretches without eating or regurgitating food for the offspring.

Plus I always liked Opus from Bloom County.

Proraso Red was my first soap when I started out DE shaving last December. It is a very nice cold-weather scent to be sure! I bet it’s real nice when kept warm in scuttle, very nice indeed, glad you enjoyed it.

You threw me a curveball when you said you had the Green lined up next. That’s a summer one for me, brrrr too cold in the fall/winter for me. Might be interesting in a warm scuttle tho.

Happy shaves!

completely agree with the OP. This has been a journey for me and I'm starting to get some of the things I never understood before AND i'm starting to pay attention to what scents belong together.

Thanks for the inspiring text. It's been a great pleasure reading it...
Thank you very much, Jahe :001_smile

And BudgetShaverGuy, I know that was a little out of sync, but my two tubs are sitting next to one another and I am curious as to what it feels like warmed up. I can't imagine it's too awfully different from ambient temperature, but I'm going for the experience. After these two, however, I think I'll use those I mentioned in the post.

Time, gents and ladies, can be our friend. I am fond of saying “Time has the final say—always has, always will.” It took time for me to learn to ride a bike, took time to mature (clearly still a work-in-progress), took time to learn proper technique so I didn’t irritate my neck so bad I could cook an egg on it. Time has apparently decided I’m allowed to pop my head in to the Big Boy’s room and take a deep whiff. I’m starting to ‘get it’.

The ‘it’ I speak of? Well, stick with me a moment.

The mornings here in the desert Southwest are, like everywhere in the North Hemisphere, beginning to cool considerably. I am well aware that as I write this there are warnings along the Plains and Northeast of record breaking lows . . . we here in AZ are not experiencing those (not that I’m gloating . . . well, not entirely :001_tt2:). But hopping out of a toasty shower in the autumn isn’t necessarily a pleasant experience; makes one feel alive, certainly, but we humans are better suited to a narrow temperature range.

I designated this morning and tomorrow morning as Proraso shaves: red today, green tomorrow. But I haven’t tried warming Proraso yet as I only acquired it during my trip to Italy back in Sept. So I took some water to just under boiling in the electric kettle and poured a little in my ceramic brush mug (nothing special, just a regular coffee mug), dropped in my Proraso/Omega boar, and filled my scuttle with the not-quite-steaming water, then poured some into the scuttle bowl itself — being mindful of simple physics ups the success potential.

View attachment 1036022

I applied a quick bit of Proraso goodness to my face upon initial brush load then loaded a bit more and went to the scuttle bowl (after pouring out the hot water, of course). Man, that scent was something nice! If one can associate temperature with smell it was a wonderful, autumnal, warm yet earthy scent. I’m not huge on sandalwood, but this was on a slightly different level of good stuff, like when you get pizza crust just the way you like it or hear your lady laugh and see her eyes twinkle. Just an in-the-moment, pause-and-enjoy-life kind of thing.

I won’t bore you with the shave details, suffice to say the lather was beautifully warm, especially on the third pass, and the shave itself was the sort that confirms your day is off to a great start.

So, about the ‘it’. When I started this journey—a mere 10.5 months ago—I couldn’t understand how guys made such a big deal about ‘fall’ scents. I had taken up DE shaving on the embarrassingly false pretense that it was cheaper than the other way—if you don’t know what I’m stating then clearly you’re a newbie, and that’s okay, you’ll understand soon enough.

But now that I have close to a full year of experience, now I am finally beginning to appreciate the correlation between the change of seasons and the scent of the lather under my nose. It’s not a fully developed sense yet, I’ll cop to that, but like all good things it will mature. I have a tub of Soap Commander Refinement I need to revisit, TOBS Cedarwood, and Moon Soap’s Amaretto Speciale as well.

I finished college up north in Flagstaff, so I’ve had the opportunity to experience the change of seasons in northern Arizona, to feel the sharp crisp of fall, breathe in its quiet message of change, and listen to multi-colored leaves crunch underfoot. Now those warm, fall scents are beginning to make sense to me. Maybe this is one of the benefits of aging.

Cicero once wrote “Reason, when it is full grown and perfected, is rightly called Wisdom.” I look forward to that.

I open pretty much any thread you start just to be fascinated by the command of the English language.

I had a great shave with the Red today, but I enjoyed reading this shared experience even more

I open pretty much any thread you start just to be fascinated by the command of the English language.

I am genuinely humbled by both comments, and certainly by all those who have most kindly mentioned they enjoy my posts. I don't use the word 'humbled' lightly, rather, deliberately. To say I wasn't proud of whatever ability I may have to write would be fraudulent--I think having a measure of pride in your abilities or what you do is a good thing, whether it's flipping burgers, emptying trash cans, or even quality shaves. But I certainly feel no arrogance about it (not that anyone said I did), but I do feel at once respectful and respected. I am very grateful for what this board has offered and continues to offer to anyone who cares to listen and participate.That I can add a tiny measure of enjoyment to the mix is a small grace I cannot nor will ever overlook.

For my part I very much agree with a sentiment KeenDog once alluded to, stating that he generally doesn't post unless he feels he has something worthwhile to add to the conversation. I am very much of the same mind. I may not have as much to add in the way of help or advice but if I feel my two-cents are warranted, well, that's what we're all here for, right . . . kinda?

FarmerTan, bray144k, naughtilus, Adam18, JAHE, BobbyB, dmshaver, and others I likely left out, my sincere thanks to you and everyone for taking the time to read my lengthy posts. So long as you gents tolerate me I will participate, and engage, with as many of you as possible. I thank you all again for your support and, frankly, words that at once brighten my day and lift me a bit above the daily rat race. You guys rock :punk:

Thanks for “Beginning To Understand”. It was definitely a refreshing read and gave me a reason to pause.

Top Bottom