What's new

Beginner's Safety Razor for Little Facial Hair Growth

I am looking to purchase my first safety razor, and even though I’ve read recommendations I still don’t know which option is best. I don’t have much in facial hair, and I only need to shave every two or three days. The growth is thin and there's not a lot of hair, so I’m not going to be shaving through lots of thick coarse hair. I have read good things about the Merkur HD 45C, but is that the best option for my needs?

EJ89 would be my recommendation - relatively inexpensive, impeccable finishing, easy to use and forgiving. YMMV of course.

I am looking to purchase my first safety razor, and even though I’ve read recommendations I still don’t know which option is best. I don’t have much in facial hair, and I only need to shave every two or three days. The growth is thin and there's not a lot of hair, so I’m not going to be shaving through lots of thick coarse hair. I have read good things about the Merkur HD 45C, but is that the best option for my needs?

My first was a Shaving Factory DE, it cost me like eight dollars from Sally's Beauty Supply, and around five for a pack of Personna blades. If you have one in your area they probably carry it. It's a decent razor, good weight, all metal, closes evenly..none of the problems normally associated with razors in the same price range really.

EDIT: I still have it, and it's still great. It's a competent companion to my grandfather's Schick Krona, and my Gillette Tech.

Last edited:
EJ89 would be my recommendation - relatively inexpensive, impeccable finishing, easy to use and forgiving. YMMV of course.

This is what I have and what I started with. Would definitely recommend it, I've literally never cut myself with it.

EJ's are good as is the Merkur 33c. A Parker or Cadet would probably do you very well too and they are pretty cheap. If you can find one, a vintage Gillette SS would serve you well even as your beard gets heavier.

I am a big vintage Gillette fan, so I would suggest a "Tech". The Tech gets lots of recommendations for new shavers because of it's mild and forgiving nature. They are readily available and can be had for as little as $1--$3 at flea markets. NOS and NIB can be had for $15--$25. The is always a steady supply available on the 'Bay if you don't want to shop around.

I started out with a Merkur 33C. I always recommend it for beginners.

If you want a little more heft, go for the 34C.

Pretty much any razor with a safety bar. Stay away from the open combs. All the razors stated above are good choices. If you want modern the EJ DE89 seems to get the most love. If you go vintage, you can't go wrong with any Gillette IMO. Good luck and good shaves to you.

I have an EJ87, and also a Gillette Fatboy adjustable... I really like them both, but I find the adjustable is truly exceptional. I'm also a big fan of Derby Extra blades- for my face they give the best shave.

My first was a Shaving Factory DE, it cost me like eight dollars from Sally's Beauty Supply, and around five for a pack of Personna blades. If you have one in your area they probably carry it. It's a decent razor, good weight, all metal, closes evenly..none of the problems normally associated with razors in the same price range really.

EDIT: I still have it, and it's still great. It's a competent companion to my grandfather's Schick Krona, and my Gillette Tech.

+1 I too have one of these and it was also my starter razor. I am currently using it in my rotation of DE razors. For the price, you get a good razor that does the job, especially if you will be shaving infrequently. Or, you can search for a cheap vintage Gillette razor for about the same amount of money (Gillette Tech or Gillette Super Speed). Good luck and welcome the Badger and Blade!

Stay away from the open combs.

??? Why? There are some perfectly mild open combs; the Merkur open combs are even milder than their mildest safety bar razors.

Some options if you don't want to break the bank for your first trials; the Lord L6 aka LP1822 (or even cheaper; the Lord Smart/S625) and the Gillette Tech will serve you well.

I like to recommend the 33C for a beginner's razor, especially for one who doesn't have a lot of facial hair. Not as bulky as the 34C.

Welcome to the forum and there are so many good razors to try. If you want to save money, you could easily find a vintage in a second hand shop.
If money is not much of an issue, EJ89, Merkur 34C, or most other moderns are nice.

I am a big vintage Gillette fan, so I would suggest a "Tech". The Tech gets lots of recommendations for new shavers because of it's mild and forgiving nature. They are readily available and can be had for as little as $1--$3 at flea markets. NOS and NIB can be had for $15--$25. The is always a steady supply available on the 'Bay if you don't want to shop around.

+1. I would also look for a no date code super speed or 58 tv special, these have served me well. A fatboy or slim will also provide mild shaves when dialed down, and you can make them more aggressive if you ever find the need. They are basically razors you will never outgrow.

Listen to this man! The Tech is a classic; guys used them for years and years. Techs are mild, smooth shavers, and virtually unbreakable. I started with a Tech, and still use one frequently. Techs are great for learning correct blade angle, too. And you'll never regret having a vintage Gillette in your arsenal.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
+1. I would also look for a no date code super speed or 58 tv special, these have served me well. A fatboy or slim will also provide mild shaves when dialed down, and you can make them more aggressive if you ever find the need. They are basically razors you will never outgrow.

+1 on the Slim. You will never need another DE razor. It is a customizable package of 9 razors in one. They can be had for a few bucks less than the iconic FatBoy which is very popular, and priced accordingly. Also consider a Super Adjustable. You will know it by its black handle and adjustment ring.

There's a lot of love for the vintage Gillettes, and with good reason. I use my vintage Gillettes all the while. If you want to go new, try an EJ.

Enjoy!

Top Bottom