What's new

Beginner's Dabbling in Brushes

I am an avowed and dedicated novice, climbing the learning curve of DE (so far) and cream face lathering with the fabulous, generous help of you here.

Having read, asked and read some more about brushes, I have released my inner thrifty RAD to assemble a small, low-cost trial stable of boar, synthetic and horsehair brushes. Badger is missing solely because I have been unable to draw any conclusions about badger which might fit my criteria. (Can you make a recommendation?)

What criteria? As described in my thread regarding a search for synthetics, "Looking for a stiff, dense, non-floppy, scrubby, grind-the-lather-into-the-beard synthetic brush. Not interested in the spreading, painting or splaying type of brush. Really not concerned with whipping the lather or the amount of lather retention by the brush." Since that thread, I'm no longer limited to synthetics.

So here they are (as of this writing):
1. Omega S synthetic
2. Proraso Pure boar
3. Semogue 610 boar
4. Vie-long Peleon horsehair (kindly PIFed to me by BRC)
5. Stirling 24 mm boar
6. Simpson Trafalgar T1 synthetic

The buying theme has been stubby/short loft, bulb-type, high density and stiff (when I could find that description). I like travel-sized brushes.

No conditioning is planned other than shave, shave and shave. I'll do my best to report back here, knowing that breaking-in periods, numbers of brushes and every-other-day shaving will make for a lengthy, enjoyable experiment.

Meantime, have you any comments, suggestions or constructive criticisms (which might help me and other beginners)? Suggested additions (including badger)? What am I missing and why?

Thank you for getting me to this point in my new favorite hobby. YOU FOLKS GOT ME HERE AND WILL PROPEL ME FORWARD!

You really should at least do a hot water soak on the 610 and some palm lathering. It only took about 1/2 dozen shaves before it became usable. It is stiff and won't hold lather well until the ends split. Mine is still stiff when dry after about 20 shaves, but a bit floppy when wet. You really do need to drench these things, no wetting just the tips like softer brushes.

One Badger suggestion from me, Yaqi Sagrada Familia 22mm 2 Band should fit all your criteria.
98377982-3B20-47FD-B89B-AF18D3C718CD.jpeg

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
The beginning of TWShaving journey is fun. There's so much to learn. You often don't know what you don't know until you Do know. That's why the experiences of the seasoned veterans here are so valuable.

SHD Badger brush from Maggards in a fan shape is the best bang for the buck IMO. I've bought the knots and made my own brushes but they must sell them already in handles.
And just about any of the low-cost Omega Boar brushes are great. I'm partial to the 3 band models for under 20 bucks. After they are broken in you get a great boar brush. The longer you soak it the softer the feel. So I don't soak but for half a minute on a broken in one. About any brush I use, being badger or boar I only soak for half a minute. BTW, you don't soak a synthetic brush.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
It sounds like badger brushes are most certainly out for you. You want the brush to grind the lather into your face, well thats not badger brushes, because they have soft tips! You most certainly sound like a dude, who would appreciate a BORE brush for sure! Many bore brushes are known for their scratchyness, and ability to maintain their stiff shape. But yet, they will require lots of soaking. Some people soak their bore brushes for two days.

I haven't heard of a synthetic brush that was super stiff, doesn't mean there isn't one. I just usually hear about synthetic brushes trying to aim to mimic badger brush softness. I certainly wouldn't say they are going to compete against a real silver tipped badger brush though, I don't think they are there yet. But ya, you want stiffness and scratchyness. I can only think of one brush type that ticks those boxes, and thats bore.

Thanks to all who are participating. Please know that I investigate all of your recommendations.

Just purchased this beauty, hoping that (in addition to the eye-candy aspects) it will give me a good basis to judge badger. I do have plenty of inexpensive non-badgers to compare.
Semogue OC Butterscotch.jpg

Thanks to all who are participating. Please know that I investigate all of your recommendations.

Just purchased this beauty, hoping that (in addition to the eye-candy aspects) it will give me a good basis to judge badger. I do have plenty of inexpensive non-badgers to compare.
View attachment 1446673
Congratulations that SOC is an excellent first foray into the wonderful world of badger! Please keep us posted. After all, we're here to enable you into getting more brushes help!
:a29:

Congratulations that SOC is an excellent first foray into the wonderful world of badger! Please keep us posted. After all, we're here to enable you into getting more brushes help!
:a29:
Well, only took an hour of RAD frenzy until the second toe into the badger waters (mixed with a bit o' boar):

Semogue OC Mistura Mixed Taj.jpg

For a beginner's den, now "testing" 10 brushes, a couple 100 blades (including 2 samplers), 5 razors and 7 creams. I need "Hair Traffic Control" to keep it all straight. There must be a new socio-economic category, "Shave Poor," to accompany the RAD psychological condition. Couldn't have gotten here without "help." Seriously, thanks to all!

Last edited:
Well, only took an hour of RAD frenzy until the second toe into the badger waters (mixed with a bit o' boar):

View attachment 1446836
For a beginner's den, now "testing" 10 brushes, a couple 100 blades (including 2 samplers), 5 razors and 7 creams. I need "Hair Traffic Control" to keep it all straight. There must be a new socio-economic category, "Shave Poor," to accompany the RAD psychological condition. Couldn't have gotten here without "help." Seriously, thanks to all!
Now you’re talking!!!

But seriously, the SOC in finest & the mixed badger/boar called the Mistura are two wonderful brushes. You will get two different experiences with them, & both experiences are great! I have both of those brushes & really like them both.

Congratulations on scoring two great brushes!

^^^ A wise sage in this hobby has written an article for beginners. One bit of guidance: Read, ask and read some more. It has been my golden rule in other hobbies and my modus operandi here and other forums.

We're it not for y'all, I’d still be stumbling and bumbling in a Mach 3 haze!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
^^^ A wise sage in this hobby has written an article for beginners. One bit of guidance: Read, ask and read some more. It has been my golden rule in other hobbies and my modus operandi here and other forums.

We're it not for y'all, I’d still be stumbling and bumbling in a Mach 3 haze!

Awww, I love reading comments like these. And you know what, I feel the same way Burgh! If it were not for the amazing folks on B&B, I'd be still getting razor burn cuts with my electric shaver. I know I know, I was on the dark side for awhile there, it sure was touch and go. But, B&B saved me, and now I am having a happier life. I am guessing that you feel the same way.

That new brush of yours has got some style to it. And I am guessing you saw my recent brush post and was like, ohhhhhh, I'ma gonna have to soak this brush, its bubble bath time! lol. But yes, give it a couple of bubble bath soaks in warm watter, get it to soften up, and clear away any stench that might be in the brush. Then, it shall be ready to be the brush thy wield, to bring forth the lather, and lift those hairs upon attention, to be ready for whisker removal eradication. Yes sir!

I really hope you love your new brush!

Top Bottom