What's new

Beginner straight

Hi all,

Was wondering if there was a particular razor(s) that you would recommend for a 1st time straight blade shaver. I have never used a str8 but am really interested in trying.

Just am afraid of slicing my throat and having to sharpen and all that. I've thought about a Feather but seeing that they are extremely sharp....I should probably start with a traditional blade.

Thanks.

Patrick

Patrick,
I'm sure lots of folks will tell you different things, if you want a new razor, bang for the buck I like Dovo; Others like TI, a lot depends on how much you want to spend. Look over on SRP, also, some of the guys there have straights for sale I've had good luck from John Crowley, Lynn Abrams, and Dave Wessel.
For older razors, I like Henckels; really consistently good shavers.
John P.

Greetings Patrick,

I would strongly recommend you start with a used shave-ready razor that's already been honed for you. Chances are you will get discouraged if you use anything else. Most new razors are not shave-ready; they needs to be honed by an experienced individual.

Laz do you have any suggestions?

One of my goals is to get a pay forward system going for straight razors once we have a group of guys capable and willing to participate.

You can also purchase a shave-ready razor from altima55 on eBay.

If you are interested - I'll sell you a Genco 6/8 half hollow that was from Lynn Abrahms personal "shavers" collection. Ain't a pretty razor, as it is plain jane, but it is an exceptional shaver.

patrick,

if you're interested in testing the waters, and don't want to spend alot of $$$ just to try something out, consider a dovo shavette. you can learn with a replaceable blade straight and not have to worry about sharpening or stropping. in addition, you can experiment with different brands of blades, and blade lenghts.

just my two cents!

-dan

Three ways for a beginner to go, and they all have been covered-

1) Get a shave ready one from an experienced member, new or used.
(This way you know what sharp is)

2) Disposable bladed razor, like a Feather, Shavette, or Weck,
(You won't have the learning curve of honing and stroppng to struggle with)

3) Get a razor and hone and start from ground zero yourself.
(Be hardheaded and learn it all yourself! But it can be done...)

Laz in Tampa said:
Three ways for a beginner to go, and they all have been covered-

1) Get a shave ready one from an experienced member, new or used.
(This way you know what sharp is)

2) Disposable bladed razor, like a Feather, Shavette, or Weck,
(You won't have the learning curve of honing and stroppng to struggle with)

3) Get a razor and hone and start from ground zero yourself.
(Be hardheaded and learn it all yourself! But it can be done...)

Greetings Laz!
Good to see you posting again! :thumbup1:

Hi all,

Have yet to take the plunge but have definitely decided that I will be purchasing a razor that is shave ready. Would like to get a razor for the holidays.

Thanks.

Patrick

I have an older Barbers Pet straight that I acquired from a nice gentleman on this site but it needs to be honed. Any suggestions on having someone else hone it? I don't think I am up to the task of doing it myself.

Or any experienced honers wanna give it a whack? Or want to trader for a shave ready straight?

Gents, you have my interest picqued. I have never been interested in straights until recently. Where can you get a good shavette?

Austin said:
Gents, you have my interest picqued. I have never been interested in straights until recently. Where can you get a good shavette?

Austin - A shavette is going to be quite different than a standard straight razor or a feather. If you are interested, lemme know, and i'll send you my shavette to try out if you cover the shipping. Personally - I'd recommend just buying one, as for the $8 in shipping both ways, you are almost half way into buying one, but hey - the option is there for you if you are interested!

Austin said:
Thanks Joel. I think I may take the plunge and just buy a straight.

If you are interested in a pre-honed straight ready to rock and roll, lemme know. I am not trying to get rid of, or sell my shavers (save for the dorko, which Rik just bought) but I think I might have one that would be good for ya.

Top Bottom