What's new

beginner question about tightness of skin with different aftershaves.

Hi, i have just started wet shaving, i have done it twice so far.

Both times i just splashed cold water on my face at the beginning and used "De Vergulde Hand" shaving soap and a gillette tech with a shark blade.

The first time i used some 20 year old axe phoenix aftershave afterwards and it gave my skin a really dry and tight feeling, like stretched dried old parchment, i really did not like that.

The second time i had to dig a lot more with the razor because i had stubble over 5mm long in places... (yeah i know i shouldn't let it go this long) and got some redness in places.
Afterwards i used an alum block this time and it stung a bit all over were i've shaven.
At the end this time i used some 20 year old daniel hechter caractere aftershave but while it did cause some dryness and tightness, it was a lot less, maybe 10% of the axe at most.

Now my question is, is the bad feeling of the axe aftershave caused because axe is bad? (bec old or just low quality?) or does axe have more alcohol? or does caractere have moisturiser inside ? or was it the alum ?

I know i could just buy a bunch of different aftershaves and try but that's really out of my budget.

Anything Cold cause most things to contract, Hot has opposite effect.

I not fan of pain or discomfort, most products with Alcohol case more cooling then water based products.

Alcohol also evaporate fast increasing cooling.

Different AS can have more or less skin care ingredients for a nice postshave feeling. Your experience sounds more like a combination of overshaving (too much pressure) and only maybe a subpar or overaged AS.

Different AS can have more or less skin care ingredients for a nice postshave feeling. Your experience sounds more like a combination of overshaving (too much pressure) and only maybe a subpar or overaged AS.
The first time when the AS felt bad i only did a few light passes on my cheek to test it out.
The second time when it felt better i "properly" shaved and had to dig a bit here and there to get the long stubble.

Also i only use cold water for everything.

The first time when the AS felt bad i only did a few light passes on my cheek to test it out.
The second time when it felt better i "properly" shaved and had to dig a bit here and there to get the long stubble.
Perhaps time to get a fresh bottle. Axe has not really a reputation for high quality skin care and an open bottle can deteriorate in 20 years easily.

Is Floid available to you? Comes in 150 and 400ml.

28D993AF-12D5-494D-9A1B-346D3DF0C9D4.jpeg

It seems i can get floid here online for 1/10 of the price my local drug stores charge for big brand name aftershaves.

It seems i can get floid here online for 1/10 of the price my local drug stores charge for big brand name aftershaves.
It has lots of natural skin care ingredients and a pinch of menthol. They went back to recreate the original formula from the 30s. Try the 150ml to see how you like it. It’s a sweet/herbal „Barbershop“ scent (Musk, Talcum, Lavender, Rosmary etc.).

+1! I suggest you try Lucky Tiger (no alcohol) or Speick which are reasonably priced with good ingredients!

Aftershave can tighten the skin a little, but it shouldn't be uncomfortable. If your skin is dry after shaving, wait a few minutes and you can use some kind of face cream, like Nivea Men, or an aftershave balm. Apply to a damp face, and rub it in. You don't need very much at all.

Top Bottom