What's new

Beginner hone recommendations

I am very new to straights. I want to purchase a hone just to keep the edges keen. All of my razors were honed by professionals for their initial honing. I have read a little on barber hones and Naniwa 12K. I do not want to hone razors from start to finish. I do not mind sending them to a professional for the initial hone, bevel setting, etc. I just want something to keep the edge going in between professional honings.

I know honing is a learned skill. In my mind, I am wetting the stone and giving it 10-15 careful passes and calling it good.

Is my goal of giving my straights a few laps even realistic?

Is my goal possible (one hone)?

What recommendations do you have?

Also, anyone have any experience with those Imperia Le Roccia? I saw a YouTube video where the user really liked them for finishing on a budget.

I will most likely post a WTB post in the BST to purchase a used hone. I have had great luck going that route. Hopefully someone upgraded and has a hone not being used. Before then, I would like to do some homework and know what to look for.

Thank you for any advice and recommendations.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I'd say you're on the right path with the Naniwa 12k. Once you learn the basic stroke you will be able to maintain your razors for a long time with that stone.

Yes there is. David was kind enough to recommend a Naniwa 12K over his JNAT. He mentioned (I've also read this) that JNATs have a learning curve. Since I am a novice, maybe his JNAT isn't the right fit for me.

Yes there is. David was kind enough to recommend a Naniwa 12K over his JNAT. He mentioned (I've also read this) that JNATs have a learning curve. Since I am a novice, maybe his JNAT isn't the right fit for me.
Fair does mate, I haven't tried honing in years just figured I'd throw that out there.

Please don't rule out a pasted strop. Some .25 diamond spray or even some .1 iron oxide might be worth toying around with on some denim or canvas that you could get at Wally world and cut into 2-3" strips...

Do not over look the importance of stropping for edge maintenance. A pasted strop as mentioned previously can carry you a long way.

I ended up with a Jnat from a trusted member here. He graciously offered to answer questions on using it. I know Jnats have a learning curve, but with a little advice and YouTube videos I think I can get it.

Thanks again for the advice

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I ended up with a Jnat from a trusted member here. He graciously offered to answer questions on using it. I know Jnats have a learning curve, but with a little advice and YouTube videos I think I can get it.

Thanks again for the advice
Glad you found something that will work for you. Post some pics of your stone when it comes in please.

Some jnats have a curve, others are easier than a naniwa. That's the thing with nature, it varies... And jnats have very little quality control. I have no doubts some are thoroughly tested and others are no better than a random rock you could pick up in the park. There's a lot of "jnat vendors" and many are unscrupulous.

Here's what I ended up with. Ozuku Asagi Koppa

IMG_1336.JPG

Here's what I ended up with. Ozuku Asagi Koppa

View attachment 795717
I just ordered the same stone and was wondering how this went for you? I want to do exactly as you with refreshing an edge and that’s it since I have no time for more yet.......one day I’ll do more when kids are a lot older! I’m struggling with whether I need to order a 12k as well.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I have an Ozuku Koppa on the way as well, plus I have a Nakayama Asagi and a Shoubudani Mizu from TheJapanStone that I’m getting adjusted to. The Nakayama clicked much faster for me, got an edge almost TOO keen right away! The Shoubudani made a less keen edge with a lot of smoothness for me. Lookin forward to trying the Ozuku Koppa. There’s variance with these stones of course. Good to see you received a Tomonagura with it so you are all set to start!

I just ordered the same stone and was wondering how this went for you? I want to do exactly as you with refreshing an edge and that’s it since I have no time for more yet.......one day I’ll do more when kids are a lot older! I’m struggling with whether I need to order a 12k as well.
I only used it a few times with decent results. I didn't get used to the shape. As mentioned, it was my first stone. I ended up spending a more $ on a Shoubudani. It's more square in shape. I've been able to get killer edges from the Shobu. You will not need to get a 12k. Your stone should be more than enough to touch up your edges.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Do you hone in hand or on a stand? I have a Thuri that’s cut oddly that needs to be used in hand. I’ve started to do almost all my razor honing that way at this point. Just curious as I assume the Koppa would be easier to use in hand.

Learning on an ozuku of that shape is possible. Some jnats though finish better with some slurry vs no slurry (harder stones need slurry, softer not so much) for finishing. While getting jnats is fun (my third is on the way) I would not buy more until you are confident in honing skills. Naniwa 8k and 12k is what I would recommend. 12k for refreshingg and 8k if it needs a bit more. Also very important your stones are flat. Synthetics need to be lapped sort of often but jnats do not.

Very true. I got better results finishing on water. The person I sold the Ozuku to had stellar results right off the bat.

That’s good to hear. Only other thing then I’d be careful who you buy your jnat from. Not a lot of eBay sellers I would trust. I do like thejapanstone though.

Top Bottom