What's new

beginner equipment advice

ok so going to be growing ither a english or a handle bar style mustache, its only been a few days so far. but wondering what would you recommend for a good comb, and a good wax.

strop

Now half as wise
IIRC, the Kent comb is cheaper at WCS. They have several waxes as well. Firehouse has been around for a while and is generaly well liked by most who try it.

ok so going to be growing ither a english or a handle bar style mustache, its only been a few days so far. but wondering what would you recommend for a good comb, and a good wax.[/I'll be out frontQUOTE]
I personally use a Cowbot Comb from WCS but it won't work very well for a new satche it has a very open tooth pattern I've used Kent and cheapo's in my time and all do the job but in my opinion the Kent is probably the highest quality, but it's diminutive size makes it hard to hold on to and to keep track of . As for wax Murray's bee's wax is good quality for a light hold and training . I like using Murray's pomade for styling to get good curls and control, but if you live in SoCal like I do when the temp gets 90+ and working outside I haven't found anything that holds up . One quick tip about Murray's pomade it's great as a styling aid, smells good and can be used as a lip balm too.

I know this will not get me a bunch of 'macho' points, but I find smaller than normal, straight razors to be great for those with facial hair. My sideburns wrap around the chin to make a beard of themselves, and mustache dips down at each end to join the beard. I shave cheeks, neck, and below bottom lip. Full size razors and DE do not give the accuracy I want to trim around the beard. Some call anything with a blade narrower than 5/8 a mustache razor, so I probably want to refer to my small razors a 'dwarf'. Many of 5/8 or larger in width, but 2-1/2" length or less. One of my favorites is a Brooks and Crooks with 1-3/4" blade at 5/8 wide. Full size razors may be difficult to keep track of both ends, and one end or the other will be constantly getting into trouble. I also find I can shave much faster with less blade. Ya'll enjoy. Have at times thought about shaving mine, but wife of 31 years may scream to find a stranger in the house,,,,, I might too : -)

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I know this will not get me a bunch of 'macho' points, but I find smaller than normal, straight razors to be great for those with facial hair. My sideburns wrap around the chin to make a beard of themselves, and mustache dips down at each end to join the beard. I shave cheeks, neck, and below bottom lip. Full size razors and DE do not give the accuracy I want to trim around the beard. Some call anything with a blade narrower than 5/8 a mustache razor, so I probably want to refer to my small razors a 'dwarf'. Many of 5/8 or larger in width, but 2-1/2" length or less. One of my favorites is a Brooks and Crooks with 1-3/4" blade at 5/8 wide. Full size razors may be difficult to keep track of both ends, and one end or the other will be constantly getting into trouble. I also find I can shave much faster with less blade. Ya'll enjoy. Have at times thought about shaving mine, but wife of 31 years may scream to find a stranger in the house,,,,, I might too : -)

Try a Kamisori. The short blade is great for those that need less liner inchage.

Top Bottom