What's new

Before and After Cleaning

Here are some photos I took of a Gillette Fatboy before and after cleaning. The "before" pictures really don't do it justice.This razor was nasty. The tip of the handle was clogged with some concoction of hardened soap/corrosion.

Here's how I cleaned it. I boiled the razor for 10 minutes, then let it set for about 20. I used a 10 to 1 water to vinegar solution with a teaspoon of salt Then I cleaned it with scrubbing bubbles bathroom cleaner and a toothbrush. Finally, I applied some metal polish with both a cotton swab and cloth rag. I also lubricated it with a few drops of mineral oil in the head then stood it on end overnight to let the oil get down in the handle.

Some of the finish is missing on the handle but it works perfectly and it doesn't look hideous anymore.

Any other suggestions?

Before:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

After:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Is that a D or E??. The early models you can unscew the nut in the handle and field strip it, the Fs and later Fats and Slims the nut is crimped on. My D the handle was full of bluish green petrifed soap scum, after disasembly I use a .38 bronze brush from my gun cleaning kit.

Is that a D or E??. The early models you can unscew the nut in the handle and field strip it, the Fs and later Fats and Slims the nut is crimped on. My D the handle was full of bluish green petrifed soap scum, after disasembly I use a .38 bronze brush from my gun cleaning kit.

This one is an F2 so the nut is crimped on. I had the same thought myself about cleaning the inside.

Nice job. Are the numbers all there?

If you're missing a few you can put them back easy. Do a search and you'll find some great tips on filling the numbers back in. I've done it to my Fat Boys and my Slim. The razor looks brand new now! :biggrin:

Nice job. Are the numbers all there?

If you're missing a few you can put them back easy. Do a search and you'll find some great tips on filling the numbers back in. I've done it to my Fat Boys and my Slim. The razor looks brand new now! :biggrin:

The '3' is missing just a little paint but you have to look real hard to see it.Given the overall condition of this razor I probably won't fool with repainting the numbers. If it were in pristine condition otherwise, I would.

Give a few cycles in an ultrasonic cleaner using water and a couple of drops of dish detergent. That has freed up sticky mechanisms for me.

Top Bottom