What's new

Beets

Thanks for all the suggestions Men! I have some NY strip steaks to grill tonight, so I think I will try grilling them this round.

:thumbup1:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Pickled eggs and red beets! :w00t:

I've been thinking about making some more; pretty good stuff. I pulled out my recipe from Wild Wes Medley's book Original Cowboy Cookbook. Also did a quick online search and found this recipe. It's the EXACT same recipe, down to the ingredients and the text instructions (except for the notation to sometimes use canned beets).

Medley's book is supposedly a collection of old-time recipes he had collected over the years. He calls his recipe Deadwood Pickled Eggs and Red Beets, and had this notation at the bottom of the recipe as being from:

Saddle Horn Saloon, Deadwood, South Dakota, late 1800s. Saloon keepers used to give pickled eggs and red beets to patrons. Sometimes on the weekends, cowboys would eat over 300 pickled eggs and red beets, or more. You can double or quadruple this recipe, depending on how well you like pickled eggs and beets.

Most often I roast them in the oven. Also, slice them up and boil them in sugar syrup with tons of fresh ginger. You can also make roesti out of them - grate the raw beets and fry them in a pancake form.

I roast them on my BGE or Primo and then use them in a salad with balsamic vinaigrette, blue cheese (or goat, or feta) and toasted pecans.

I really like the idea of the risotto. I actually heard about it on a trip to New Zealand and this was a good reminder.

Been on a real roast beet kick myself lately, but I like them most ways. Sweet and earthy, what could be better?

From what I can tell beets are a very hot vegetable right now. Certainly match very well with goat or blue cheese and balsamic, and lots of kinds of nuts!

The beets were quite tasty grilled. I also sliced up and grilled sweet potatos,red peppers and horse carrots. Not bad for a weeknight.:thumbup1:

We eat beet salad often, usually golden beets to avoid the stains....

1. Cut off greens and skin to expose the beet and place in roasting pan
2. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt & pepper to taste (I use a lot of pepper for this)
3. Roast one hour at 400 degrees
4. Let cool or place in fridge.
5. Peel and slice thin on mandoline
6. Make vinaigrette with olive oil, pressed garlic, lemon juice, salt, pepper, toasted caraway seeds.
7. Toss and enjoy!

A little off beet. How about risotto?

proxy.php

Blend up some baked beets and add to a standard risotto recipe with plenty of parmesian + sour cream. Delish.

Top Bottom