What's new

Beer of the Day - BOTD - 2023

A surprise tonight and not a good one.
Had to check the label twice, it says Beer but tastes like Cider/sparkling fruit wine. I was expecting something more along the lines of a Belgian fruit beer so this was a bit too much :(

View attachment 1667233
Addendum: I looked it up on their webpage. This is a BLEND of beer and cherry juice so the cherries are NOT co-fermented with the malts as in the Belgian Kriek Lambics.

No funny surprises tonight, excellent as always :)

8F64E2F8-A90E-44E2-9A93-620FEF289821.jpeg

Minnesota was the 32nd state to join the Union. Union 32 is a taproom/brewery featuring 32 tap lines, drawing exclusively on local beers and ciders. It's a great place to try local stuff, grab some food, and chat with friends. You pour your own choices, using a billing card that you place in front of the tap handle....
20230608_193222.jpg

Conemarra Pony Irish stout; by Union 32...
20230608_184037.jpg

Dancing Shoes. a rye beer from Falling Knife...
20230608_185003.jpg

Lamplighter, a dark lager from Spiral Brewing, Hastings, MN.
20230608_192305.jpg

Alesmith Speedway Stout. A Story.

A few years ago, when I was really exploring craft beers, I picked up a bomber of Alesmith's Speedway Stout. One weekend, I was tasked to grill for my nieces and nephews for lunch, and the rest of my in-laws for supper. Beer makes my grill run; it's more important than charcoal. So, I started sipping the Speedway while tending brats and burgers for the kids. Alesmith's stouts hover around 12 to 14% ABV, and my empty stomach, and the 750 ml volume really swamped me. After everyone was fed, one of my nieces climbed on to my lap and dozed off on my shoulder. In my fog, I felt a tap on my shoulder. It was my wife. She said, "Take her to bed... and you lie down, too." 🥴

20230610_173020.jpg

This is an appropriate offering for today, coming full circle a few years later. I was grilling, my wife's Vietnamese, and my nieces no longer fall asleep in my lap. 14.2%, rich, full coffee. Nice one.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
IMG_1740.jpeg
This is pretty good stuff. Not a lot of carbonation, it’s got a pretty thick mouthfeel, and no overbearing alcohol kick. It’s very easy drinking with nice toffee like notes and mild sweetness from the milk sugars. At 12%abv I’m going to have to very careful.

This is pretty good stuff. Not a lot of carbonation, it’s got a pretty thick mouthfeel, and no overbearing alcohol kick. It’s very easy drinking with nice toffee like notes and mild sweetness from the milk sugars. At 12%abv I’m going to have to very careful.
I ALMOST purchased a pack of this from my local Kroger the other day. The only reason I stopped is it's currently summer, and my excitement over stouts has thus decreased a bit. I may need to consider a purchase to hold until the weather cools back off again.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I ALMOST purchased a pack of this from my local Kroger the other day. The only reason I stopped is it's currently summer, and my excitement over stouts has thus decreased a bit. I may need to consider a purchase to hold until the weather cools back off again.
I'm going to get a few more for my cellar. I drank 2 last night and was not feeling any pain after.

Top Bottom