What's new

Beer of the Day - BOTD - 2021

Finished a Fear. Movies. Lions. six pack tonight I'm a big fan of that beer. It (New England/hazy IPA) is my favorite style. It was the first of that style I tried and a six pack is often several dollars cheaper than a four pack of other labels.
I know they had the upside down labels on FML as an accident but looks like they are doing it on more beers?
This thread makes me realize I need to up my glass game. Where do you all get these awesome glasses?
Yeah I actually saw several different Stone's at the store with the upside-down labels.
The glasses that I've been liking are from Speigelau and Teku, they're available on Amazon and I've seen them in local retail stores too. I bought this set from TW for a buddy that I think is pretty cool (Spiegelau Craft Tasting Kit - 4pk - https://www.totalwine.com/accessories-more/accessories/glassware/spiegelau-craft-tasting-kit-4pk/p/176660920?s=1116&igrules=true).
I see more breweries offering branded versions of the Teku, my wife got me a couple of those and I really like them but they don't quite hold a full pint which is a tiny bit annoying.

Finished a Fear. Movies. Lions. six pack tonight I'm a big fan of that beer. It (New England/hazy IPA) is my favorite style. It was the first of that style I tried and a six pack is often several dollars cheaper than a four pack of other labels.
I know they had the upside down labels on FML as an accident but looks like they are doing it on more beers?
This thread makes me realize I need to up my glass game. Where do you all get these awesome glasses?
I'm also a huge hazy n.e. Ipa fan, I'm making one right here at home currently.

Yeah I actually saw several different Stone's at the store with the upside-down labels.
The glasses that I've been liking are from Speigelau and Teku, they're available on Amazon and I've seen them in local retail stores too. I bought this set from TW for a buddy that I think is pretty cool
I see more breweries offering branded versions of the Teku, my wife got me a couple of those and I really like them but they don't quite hold a full pint which is a tiny bit annoying.

Oh... I give up. :wacko:

Yeah, I am. It's not too different it just has a grain base of milled oats. I'm working on about five gallons of it right now. I dry hopped it with home grown hops, I'm expecting a lot of pine and grapefruit flavors.
Very cool, of my buddies who brew/have brewed I don't know of any of them that have done a hazy, so I'd be really interested to hear how it turns out. My favorite style in the last few years for sure

20210114_233805.jpg

This one was better the 2nd time around, too. I think I like the heraldy/coat of arms on the bottle more than the beer, though.

After a year of "barrel-aged" this and "imperial" that, you really start looking for something more approachable and sessionable. To me, that calls for a cream ale...
View attachment 1211999
Gennessee cream ale. Been wanting to try it, and finally found some. Slightly sweet, fruity, and refreshing. No disappointment with this one!:thumbup1:
I just tried it recently for the first time too! And it won't be the last time...

Have you had their Breakfast Stout or KBS?!
I have, John. But its been a while. The last KBS I had was aged for two years, and it was very good, with a more forward vanilla note and a subdued quality to the inherent harshness or "boozy-ness" that I associate to the brew. For me, though, I didn't consider either a game changer.

But THIS.......:thumbup:...
DSCN1228.JPG

This is what I consider to be the best "O-M-G" beer I've had from Founder's to date. It was pretty expensive, and I did a lot of fence-walking before pulling the trigger, but WOW! I don't think you can find it anymore, it sold out quick. I stocked up by finding an out of the way liquor store that had a pretty good supply, and I cleaned them out. Pricey, but worth it.

Founder's Porter? My "trigger" beer. I credit this one to getting me into the craft beer exploration. I don't think you could go wrong with this one. In March of this year, Founder's plans on releasing Panther Cub, a robust barrel-aged porter with maple and vanilla. I'm keeping my eyes peeled.....

I have, John. But its been a while. The last KBS I had was aged for two years, and it was very good, with a more forward vanilla note and a subdued quality to the inherent harshness or "boozy-ness" that I associate to the brew. For me, though, I didn't consider either a game changer.

But THIS.......:thumbup:...
View attachment 1212409
This is what I consider to be the best "O-M-G" beer I've had from Founder's to date. It was pretty expensive, and I did a lot of fence-walking before pulling the trigger, but WOW! I don't think you can find it anymore, it sold out quick. I stocked up by finding an out of the way liquor store that had a pretty good supply, and I cleaned them out. Pricey, but worth it.

Founder's Porter? My "trigger" beer. I credit this one to getting me into the craft beer exploration. I don't think you could go wrong with this one. In March of this year, Founder's plans on releasing Panther Cub, a robust barrel-aged porter with maple and vanilla. I'm keeping my eyes peeled.....

Founders made KBS available all year and are rotating the flavors seasonally. The Mackinac Fudge should be available again sometime.

The Porter and Deschutes Black Butte Porter are my lovely go to beers in this world of IPA fads.

My intro to craft beer and real love for beer was Michelob Amber Bock. I then found a microbrew that I eventually worked at but they had a Scottish ale that really opened my eyes. Then Bass Pale Ale and Rogue Dead Guy. It's been downhill from there.

When I moved out west I had access to so many great Colorado breweries. O'Dell's Myrcenary and Sierra Nevada Hoptimum really got my hop head going. Now I drink cheaper. Sierra Nevada Torpedos or Founders Centennial or Mosaic Promise are my go tis until I want hopper then I go Columbus Brewing Co.'s Bohdi or Fat Head's Headhunter.

After a year of "barrel-aged" this and "imperial" that, you really start looking for something more approachable and sessionable. To me, that calls for a cream ale...
View attachment 1211999
Gennessee cream ale. Been wanting to try it, and finally found some. Slightly sweet, fruity, and refreshing. No disappointment with this one!:thumbup1:
Genny Cream was my college standby. It was extremely popular in upstate New York and most bars had it on tap. Now when I go back, nobody has it on draft and it is very hard to find at a restaurant or bar in the bottle/can. I always bring a case or two back to NM when we drive east.

335A0928-3F5D-474B-8237-7B6F3767D9CB.jpeg

Another flight of KBS. Inside, so no lights. I think it is actually colder here than outside with the cold front last week. Yeah, 2017 has more chocolate on the nose and on the palate than the other three. Maybe that’s why I like it more. IDK. Free Florida Cracker in the background. The bartender likes us here.

Top Bottom