What's new

Beer of the Day - BOTD - 2021

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Yuengling is an old beer brand I like. I can’t do a night of them. But I can drink a few and enjoy them.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Schlitz was a really good beer that they ruined in the 70s to cut costs, maximize profits and to keep up with Budweiser and Miller.
So that explains it.

Strohs is now an artsy type beer made in Ann Arbor, I think. I'm pretty sure it ain't "Fire Brewed" anymore, and is nothing special, ESPECIALLY for the price.

It sure don't taste "Bohemian" either! (Whatever THAT tastes like...)

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Yuengling is an old beer brand I like. I can’t do a night of them. But I can drink a few and enjoy them.
I've never tried one. They had almost mythical status in much of the US when the brand was essentially unobtainium. Coors had that reputation in the 70s, but when people east of the western plains were finally able to taste it they realized it tasted like shyte.

I believe the plot of Smokey & the Bandit was the quest to get some Coors to Georgia where it was unavailable. Right?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
For a long time beer wasn’t brewed to taste good. I’m glad that changed. Bud, Miller, Coors,...they ain’t brewed to taste good. With all the syrups (high fructose) used in beer production these days they can’t argue anything else but mass quantity, low quality, cheap buzz.

I can spend $100 a week sampling craft brews if I want. And I actually have a few times. It just sucks that good beer cost that much. $9.99 a 6pk

FarmerTan

I've never tried one. They had almost mythical status in much of the US when the brand was essentially unobtainium. Coors had that reputation in the 70s, but when people east of the western plains were finally able to taste it they realized it tasted like shyte.

I believe the plot of Smokey & the Bandit was the quest to get some Coors to Georgia where it was unavailable. Right?
My son is my supplier now. He werks for Coors/Miller/Molson now, formerly Budweiser.

I recommend two beers now: Miller Genuine Draft, and I am not kidding, a thing I call "Barry White" that is actually "Berry Weiss" I think it is called. Some company called "Leugenhosen" (probably not even close?) But I SWEAR, it is the ONLY one of his 25¢ beers that my tightwad self would pay full price for. It is ABSOLUTELY dee-lisheus!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
My son is my supplier now. He werks for Coors/Miller/Molson now, formerly Budweiser.

I recommend two beers now: Miller Genuine Draft, and I am not kidding, a thing I call "Barry White" that is actually "Berry Weiss" I think it is called. Some company called "Leugenhosen" (probably not even close?) But I SWEAR, it is the ONLY one of his 25¢ beers that my tightwad self would pay full price for. It is ABSOLUTELY dee-lisheus!

Leinenkugel’s?

they make a Berry Weiss. Also make a regular old beer that isn’t bad. Like Summer Shandy.

FarmerTan

Leinenkugel’s?

they make a Berry Weiss. Also make a regular old beer that isn’t bad. Like Summer Shandy.
NAILED IT! What I like about their beers is they are just REALLY smooth, and the flavors don't overpower the taste of beer. I only drink one, usually every afternoon. If I drink two I WILL get an upset stomach. I haven't had any big kidney stones since I've started this, and I'm not endorsing it, just happy I've stayed out of the hospital since I took a urologist's advice! Of course, he moonlighted as a Bartender! (rimshot!) Not really!

I'm not lying tho: I could EASILY never drink any other thing besides water, black coffee and "Barry White" for the rest of my days. It is THAT good.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
NAILED IT! What I like about their beers is they are just REALLY smooth, and the flavors don't overpower the taste of beer. I only drink one, usually every afternoon. If I drink two I WILL get an upset stomach. I haven't had any big kidney stones since I've started this, and I'm not endorsing it, just happy I've stayed out of the hospital since I took a urologist's advice! Of course, he moonlighted as a Bartender! (rimshot!) Not really!

I'm not lying tho: I could EASILY never drink any other thing besides water, black coffee and "Barry White" for the rest of my days. It is THAT good.
I haven’t had Leinenkugel’s in a long time. But what I remember most is...don’t get drunk off it. Terrible hangover. A decent dark beer with a heavy beer flavor.

Their Berry Weiss wasn’t exactly the “Weiss” beer flavor that tradditional GOOD weiss breweries strive for. But it is an OK alternative IMO.

Witbier, Hefeweizen, Wheat beer, Weizenbier ...all these are my absolute favorite style of beer. I remember my first taste and it smelled like bologna. I was hooked. Not banana.....bologna. Lol.

I'm a big fan of a lot of Sierra Nevada's specialty stuff. Bigfoot and Narwahl in particular. Their more traditional items like All Day IPA are pretty good as well. Unfortunately, it's become hard to find anything other than an IPA at the grocery store these days.
When it's REALLY hot out, I do enjoy the Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy. Too sweet for me most other times, but in the heat it goes down real easy.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
It’s very good but I don’t think I could do a keg of it. I’m glad we got the Busch Light for our camping trips :lol:

Yours truly, with a liter of Bigfoot.

Liter - Small.jpg

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
After seeing the posts about grapefruit beer I picked these up while at Meijers yesterday. Not bad but at 2.5% abv I think I’ll mix them with champagne for a Sunday morning mimosa type drink. I’m going to look for some different brands at actual liquor stores to see what I can find.
A5B1FE3E-4D6C-469A-9B3F-CE37A3B40A2B.jpeg

20210502_172104.jpg

Outside of the region where it comes from, I'm not really sure what makes a "Baltic" porter Baltic. No matter. Here's a delicious one from Oliphant. Dangerously easy drinking; the 8% smacks you upside the head if you imbibe on an empty stomach. I found that out myself...

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Unfortunately, it's become hard to find anything other than an IPA at the grocery store these days.

That’s been the case for the past couple years. Seems like every brewery makes about 7 different IPA’s. Most are way way too hoppy for me. I get more bitter flavor than anything and it’s not good

Supposedly these Bigfoot beers age well over 3-5 years. So I have 3 bottles put back and going to test that out. Summer Bliss - delish. Dominga Mimosa Sour - yummy. Bigfoot Barleywine - that will put hair on your chest. Nutty, malty, thick, beer. Yowza.

View attachment 1262131View attachment 1262132
I always remember hearing that as well, but I've never had one that's more than maybe a year old. One of my friends is a huge Sierra fan and I think has a collection of aged Bigfoots, I should get him buzzed and convince him they're too old and we should use them up

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I always remember hearing that as well, but I've never had one that's more than maybe a year old. One of my friends is a huge Sierra fan and I think has a collection of aged Bigfoots, I should get him buzzed and convince him they're too old and we should use them up

My club typically does a Bigfoot vertical every year (we usually buy a case every year to keep for they purpose). They really do age well, but they seem to peak around 5 years and start dropping off quickly after 7 or 8 years. That said, the 2008 never was all that good (big hop shortage going on then), but certain other ones just seem to never get old.

Another Windswept Brewing Co. beer tonight, this time their 1806 Classic Scottish Stout. An excellent beer with a poignant reason for its name.

20210507_211500.jpg20210507_211515.jpg20210507_211528.jpg

Top Bottom