What's new

Beer of the Day - BOTD - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Will one of you smart fellers explain what ”Juicy IPA“ is? I know what a regular ole IPA is. But I’ve been seeing “juicy” on a lot of IPA’s. Does this mean that there is some type of fruit involved?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Preparing for the week ahead!

DC852DE9-ADAE-492C-87A0-8C2BF301D235.jpeg

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Will one of you smart fellers explain what ”Juicy IPA“ is? I know what a regular ole IPA is. But I’ve been seeing “juicy” on a lot of IPA’s. Does this mean that there is some type of fruit involved?

No, no actual juice. It's something of an offshoot of the New England IPA, and either might be called a "hazy IPA." It's all a matter of marketing, still, so it's still a little vague what the style entails. However, it's pretty much a very young beer with minimal bittering hop additions (so it isn't all that bitter) and a whole lot of late addition or dry hopping done (so you get a lot of hop aroma and flavor). It uses fruity hops, so you get a "juicy" flavor profile. Malt character is light and hardly noticeable. ABV can be all over the place, but it usually clocks in around 6-7%, give or take (IPA sort of range)-. I haven't done any sort of formal survey, but it seems they more often are on the higher side of that range. They usually are unfiltered and have a short boil in the kettle. That and the heavy late/dry hopping keep them pretty hazy, although not necessarily as viscous and cloudy as a NE IPA, as it typically does not have as much yeast in suspension or something like oats in the grain bill.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
No, no actual juice. It's something of an offshoot of the New England IPA, and either might be called a "hazy IPA." It's all a matter of marketing, still, so it's still a little vague what the style entails. However, it's pretty much a very young beer with minimal bittering hop additions (so it isn't all that bitter) and a whole lot of late addition or dry hopping done (so you get a lot of hop aroma and flavor). It uses fruity hops, so you get a "juicy" flavor profile. Malt character is light and hardly noticeable. ABV can be all over the place, but it usually clocks in around 6-7%, give or take (IPA sort of range)-. I haven't done any sort of formal survey, but it seems they more often are on the higher side of that range. They usually are unfiltered and have a short boil in the kettle. That and the heavy late/dry hopping keep them pretty hazy, although not necessarily as viscous and cloudy as a NE IPA, as it typically does not have as much yeast in suspension or something like oats in the grain bill.

Thanks! I’m pretty sure I’ve also seen a Hazy IPA (maybe even in this thread). I hate when companies to stuff like this just for a marking thing. Because you know 90% of the population has no idea what it means and thinks it’s some brand new beer. umm, like me.

That Midas Touch is a real oddball. I like it and do not mean to prejudice you in any way, but be prepared for something different.

I’ve heard about it a year or so ago and never been able to find it. I’m pretty sure it was on some TV show about where they briefly talked about the Dogfish Head brewery and it’s owner how he travels all over looking for ancient recipes and oddball brewing techniques and ingredients. I finally saw it and had to get it.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Thanks! I’m pretty sure I’ve also seen a Hazy IPA (maybe even in this thread). I hate when companies to stuff like this just for a marking thing. Because you know 90% of the population has no idea what it means and thinks it’s some brand new beer. umm, like me.

I’ve heard about it a year or so ago and never been able to find it. I’m pretty sure it was on some TV show about where they briefly talked about the Dogfish Head brewery and it’s owner how he travels all over looking for ancient recipes and oddball brewing techniques and ingredients. I finally saw it and had to get it.

Do be fair to the breweries, "hazy" and "juicy" aren't pure marketing. They started as fads and have caught on more. Like anything else, some are very good, some are garbage, and some are just better than others. I suppose I prefer them incorporating "hazy" or "juicy" into the name instead of just giving it some sort arbitrary name like "Gepetto," and then I have to figure out what the heck it is.

I love the Ancient Ales series from Dogfish Head. I'm not necessarily in the mood for one all the time, but I they always are fun to enjoy. Midas Touch and Jiahu are my favorites.

Do be fair to the breweries, "hazy" and "juicy" aren't pure marketing. They started as fads and have caught on more. Like anything else, some are very good, some are garbage, and some are just better than others. I suppose I prefer them incorporating "hazy" or "juicy" into the name instead of just giving it some sort arbitrary name like "Gepetto," and then I have to figure out what the heck it is.
Agreed that its more than just baseless marketing, hazy IPA's had been more of an east coast thing but have definitely been all the rage in California for the last year or so. When I visited a friend in Cleveland last year we did a brewery crawl and I was blown away at how many hazies there were; every place had at least 2, including doubles and triples. I do really enjoy the less bitter IPA's and dry-hopped pale ales, the west coast style was just getting too over the top for me. But as with most anything, there are good versions and bad versions, and there are enough of these out nowadays that you can certainly notice the difference.
What's funny to me is that when they first started to take off I remember talking to a couple brewers and reading things from a few others saying that they don't really enjoy making hazies. But you gotta give the people what they want, especially in the current environment...

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
What's funny to me is that when they first started to take off I remember talking to a couple brewers and reading things from a few others saying that they don't really enjoy making hazies.

Yeah, they often aren't particularly fun or interesting to make, and they can be expensive. It's a very simple grain bill (usually just a single base malt). You bring the wort up to a boil (or maybe not even completely up to a boil) and add a HUGE amount of (typically expensive) hops for a VERY short time (and you might even add them only in a whirpool, if your brewery has one). From that point, you have to get the thing out the door and into the customer's hands ASAP, because a lot of them are counting the days since it was packaged.

Plus, you have the lovely fad phenomenon of getting either a 5-star rating or a 1-star rating on every brewer's favorite site, Beer Advocate, where you also will be mercilessly compared to Heady Topper, Tree House, Trillium, or who knows what else.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Preparing for the week ahead!

View attachment 1137520

I’ve tried all these this week. My favorite of the bunch....the Midas Touch. It’s different. Yet, familiar. It’s almost like a wine, somewhat sweet. A very tasty sipping beer. Least favorite....Dragon’s Milk White. Just a really strong dark beer. It’s good, sure. But heavy on the stomach.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Midas Touch and Jiahu are my favorites

I will be looking for more of the ancient ale series from them. Last beer I had from them that I was impressed with was the 90 Minute IPA. That was my first IPA, I think way back in 2013 or 14, maybe earlier I can’t recall. It was really good. Haven’t had it since haha.

Crabby bartender, though. I still tipped, proving that 'ole Black Adder is a kind, understanding, empathetic, huggable peach of a guy.....:thumbsup:.

Don
I don’t know anything about the brewery or the general vibe in your area, but it’s a bummer to hear that (the crabby bartender bit). The brewery staff I’ve interacted with in the last few months have all been really friendly, and appreciative of the fact that we’re making an effort to support them.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I will be looking for more of the ancient ale series from them. Last beer I had from them that I was impressed with was the 90 Minute IPA. That was my first IPA, I think way back in 2013 or 14, maybe earlier I can’t recall. It was really good. Haven’t had it since haha.

90 Minute is one of my very favorite beers on Earth. Indian Brown is another.

I'm glad you enjoyed Midas Touch! I expect you will enjoy the other Ancient Ales, as well, even if just because they are interesting.

DSCN1166.JPG

I've been struggling to find the flavor "hit" that wild rice gives to a beer, but I think I have it - it's rye. I've only had one, to my knowledge, rye based beer and it was 3 Sheeps Cashmere Hammer, a nitro rye stout. Rye is a deeper grain flavor that comes close to a nuttiness, but it never quite gets there. Inbound's wild rice porter has a little more chocolate in the blend, which mellows the effect of the wild rice. I like Bad Weather's take on it, too. Long hang on the middle palate, with a dry finish.

Don

I don’t know anything about the brewery or the general vibe in your area, but it’s a bummer to hear that (the crabby bartender bit). The brewery staff I’ve interacted with in the last few months have all been really friendly, and appreciative of the fact that we’re making an effort to support them.

Ain't no biggie, jesseix! I kind of chalked it up to a belief that he's always like that... some folks just have a thundercloud over them all the time. As for the general vibe:

I used to think that this was just a bunch of :a24:, but there is some truth to the tendency for reserved stoicism and maintaining the status quo. Usually I've encountered very good service, even with the Covid restrictions.

Every once in a while, you bump into a grump! Still, I'm a huggable peach of a guy! Modest, too!

Don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom