What's new

Beer of the Day - BOTD - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
C50C4398-7C2D-4F02-813A-30BD10E02B7F.jpeg
Big Storm Bromosa Tangerine IPA.
Started Friday by changing my oil and running over to Cape Coral’s Big Storm tasting room. I brought a 32 oz growler of Bromosa home as it is a favorite of my wife. My son-in-law took home a growler of Baltic Porter. Both are very good.

DSCN1105.JPG

Oatmeal stout from Just Plain Wrong Brewing. Another local. The head is something I normally do not allow and I certainly won't drink through it, but I was dealing with niece/nephew issues during the pour. A nice, mellow brew.

Don

Had these while watching the ufc fights tonight.

The ipa was pretty good, one of my favorites. But it's only a seasonal. The pomegranate hefe was awesome, you can drink them all day if you wanted, very sweet. The apricot one was ok. And the weihenstephaner is just one of my favorite (one of the very first craft beers I had). I also had their hefe weissber, I just forgot to take a picture. Refreshing beers all around. Those weihenstephaners are what I usually buy for people to introduce them to the craft world, so far I have I've converted 5 people. Cheers!

20200509_212557.jpg
20200509_223009.jpg
20200509_232538.jpg
20200510_195319.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 1100177
Great with a steak salad my wife made! This is the last of the latest six pack. I think I only enjoyed three as my family has come to appreciate it, too. That glass makes a difference, too.
That tank 7 from boulevard is a great farmhouse ale. Love the st bernardus glass (love their Christmas ale). I found two of those glasses at an antique shop some yrs back. Also found 2 westmalle trappist goblets, all $1 a piece. So lucky.

Since we're talking about Tank 7....
DSCN1103.JPG

I had a HECK of a time finding this! Conducted a search to do a comparison tasting with Spotted Cow from New Glarus, and it took a while. I'm sure Total Wine had it, but I refuse to go there anymore.....:thumbdown

I liked this. At 8.5% ABV it's almost getting into the "imperial" range, but this is a solidly bold beer that I think really needs to go with some food. The aroma was bready, and initially I detected a bitterness that made me think "IPA" but was really a nice, black pepper note that didn't hang. Although the head is huge in the photo, this is not overly carbonated "fizz."

Although technically they're both farmhouse ales, Spotted Cow and Tank 7 are different animals. Spotted Cow takes a fruitier, fresher approach to this beer style, and the lower ABV makes it more drinkable over an extended period of time. An equivalent intake of Tank 7's would knock me out!

Is one better than the other? No. I'm just more fortunate than most of you fellas in that a short, 45 minute drive gets me all the Spotted Cow I could want. New Glarus is only sold in Wisconsin.

Don

Since we're talking about Tank 7....
View attachment 1101244
I had a HECK of a time finding this! Conducted a search to do a comparison tasting with Spotted Cow from New Glarus, and it took a while. I'm sure Total Wine had it, but I refuse to go there anymore.....:thumbdown

I liked this. At 8.5% ABV it's almost getting into the "imperial" range, but this is a solidly bold beer that I think really needs to go with some food. The aroma was bready, and initially I detected a bitterness that made me think "IPA" but was really a nice, black pepper note that didn't hang. Although the head is huge in the photo, this is not overly carbonated "fizz."

Although technically they're both farmhouse ales, Spotted Cow and Tank 7 are different animals. Spotted Cow takes a fruitier, fresher approach to this beer style, and the lower ABV makes it more drinkable over an extended period of time. An equivalent intake of Tank 7's would knock me out!

Is one better than the other? No. I'm just more fortunate than most of you fellas in that a short, 45 minute drive gets me all the Spotted Cow I could want. New Glarus is only sold in Wisconsin.

Don
Glad you made the effort!

I agree about that bitter note you detected. It diminishes quickly!

I’ll find a Spotted Cow one day...

My wife went to a store she doesn't visit often, and she asked if there was anything I wanted. She also picked up some liquor and other things while she was there. 🤷‍♂️

Yes, but this is the 3rd time you've mentioned this impossible occurrence in this thread @bassplayer7770 :biggrin1:!

We are talking about the same thing, right? Wives? They're those nice girls we marry, and then they turn into smoldering, brooding Jiminy Crickets with the eye rolls, sighs, and cold glances that go with everything you do, everyday for the rest of your life? I have one, and so do all the rest of the guys I work with.

You're lucky, blessed, or both!

Don

Had these while watching the ufc fights tonight.

The ipa was pretty good, one of my favorites. But it's only a seasonal. The pomegranate hefe was awesome, you can drink them all day if you wanted, very sweet. The apricot one was ok. And the weihenstephaner is just one of my favorite (one of the very first craft beers I had). I also had their hefe weissber, I just forgot to take a picture. Refreshing beers all around. Those weihenstephaners are what I usually buy for people to introduce them to the craft world, so far I have I've converted 5 people. Cheers!

View attachment 1101150View attachment 1101151View attachment 1101152View attachment 1101153

Fun fact: My grand-grand- grand uncle (i hope i got that right) was the youngest brewmaster at Weihenstephan with 16 :)

No picture, but had an Easy of the Eyes session IPA from Intuition Ale Works (Jacksonville, FL). Great summer beer with some nice citrus/grapefruit notes.

DSCN1108.JPG

A few purchases on a pick-a-single trip. In depth reviews to follow. Kinda tough to stay motivated! We haven't had a communal family barbecue in a LONG time, and I don't think it'd matter anyway since my brother in laws believe Heineken is STILL awesome. Flying solo right now....

Oh, in case anyone was wondering, the shopping experience at Total Wine has NOT improved.

Don

^^^
Those are unusual cups, Rick. Are they really that wide at the top, or is your smart phone lens messing with me?

DSCN1109.JPG

Good aroma, with a chocolatey sweetness I didn't expect. A pretty respectable 10.4% ABV so it's a sipper.

It fell down on the finish, which to me lingered in kind of a musty manner. Not enough to make me regret it, though. I think it was how my palate processed the smoked malt. Maybe ageing would help? Limited release. Might be worth a shot for some of you.

Don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom