What's new

Beer of the Day - BOTD - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
DSCN1087.JPG

Maibock from Capital Brewery, Middleton, WI. Nice hop spice combined with a warm malt/honey finish. Capital specializes in German styled beers, and I've found a pretty good supply source just across the border.

This one's a sign of Spring! Gives me hope during these unsettling times......

Don

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
So I’ve got 10 new beers this week. Gonna be a busy weekend!

Take your time with those Chimays. They are relatively big, complex beers. There's a lot going on in there, and you don't want to miss it. Think of them like good whiskey--sip, don't gulp, and savor. It's best to let each warm up for at least 20 minutes or so before opening. Those are some world class beers, right there.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Take your time with those Chimays. They are relatively big, complex beers. There's a lot going on in there, and you don't want to miss it. Think of them like good whiskey--sip, don't gulp, and savor. It's best to let each warm up for at least 20 minutes or so before opening. Those are some world class beers, right there.
So warm up to almost room temp? I thought I read there was a recommended serving temp but I lost the paper that came in the box.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
So warm up to almost room temp? I thought I read there was a recommended serving temp but I lost the paper that came in the box.

I don't know what the paper said, but I expect he ideal serving temperature is 50-55F (a.k.a., "cellar temperature")--cool, but not refrigerator cold. I don't know how cold you keep your refrigerator and your home, so any time estimate is just that, an estimate.

If you really are taking your time with the beer, you can let it come out for only about 10 minutes or so, which probably will get you to around 45F. Then, you can sip and see how it changes as it warms. I can tell you this, though: those beers are pretty dadgum good at any temperature, but it's a bit of shame to drink them so cold that you miss out on a lot of what makes them great.

Malt flavors and fermentation character are rather muted when very cold. A typical progression is that they tend to come out and become more complex as it warms (to a point, of course). Alcohol also starts playing a larger part, as the beer warms, and some beers get pretty boozy once they get good and warm. That might be good or bad.

If you like those Chimays, you ought to look for other Trappist beers such as Westmalle, Maredsous, Orval, Rochefort, and St. Bernardus. You can find others brewing and abbey-style beers, as well, including some good American ones. A lot of those American ones tend to be fairly regional, but some get scattered fairly widely around the USA. Ommegang, North Coast Brother Thelonious, and Avery The Reverend come to mind right off the bat.

^^^
@TexLaw speaks the truth, Jason. I'm constantly trying to tell my fellow beer enthusiasts around here that not all beers need to be served at a tooth enamel cracking freeze. Most of my beers are stored under the steps in my cellar.
DSCN1088.JPG

:thumbup1:

Don

DSCN1089.JPG

About the name of the beer? Don't ask. I still think the two guys who started Oliphant are a little bit nuts, but I say that cautiously and a little bit gratefully. They really push the sours, but this type of excellence comes out every once in a while and they gain me as a big fan. Absolutely perfect on the nose with a roasted chocolate taste that was out of this world.

I'm glad they've taken to brewing. They'd probably be excellent hackers if they weren't devoting their energies to brewing great beers. I've got to go visit them when the world situation settles down.

Don

No pics but past few days have been a Founders CBS, Firestone Walker Union Jack, easy Jack, Propagator series El Dorado single hop ipa, and luponic distortion. I like all of them.

Love Belgian brews! Another Gentse Strop this afternoon. Two were included in the take out pizza order from Wednesday evening.

D917AA4A-4674-4E1A-8BAB-AB9AD00586E4.jpeg
Nice brown ale from Momentum Brewing in Bonita Springs, FL. Dress Down Brown Ale. From a growler. If I go dark, I usually go stout, but I like this brew. Step up from Newcastle, the first I tried.

A requiem, of sorts:
DSCN1091.JPG

We've discussed Untitled Art in this thread before. To me, having one of these is a little like winning a Sotheby's auction for an abstract piece of art, and then you sit there scratching your head over why you paid so much for it in the first place. This one had flavor, albeit artificially, and it was potent at 12%, but I just can't see paying this much for what I'd consider a passable craft beer. I've seen 4 packs pushing a $30 asking price. I'm probably done seeking these offerings.
DSCN1092.JPG

Last year, I went crazy on this one, buying three cases. But you can't have a good spring without this honey bock from New Glarus. I place it among the top 5 beers I've ever had.

Don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom