What's new

Beer of the Day - BOTD - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am much more interested in Oktoberfest offerings this year after going to Germany in March. That one ^^^ has the look!

The Captiva triathlon damn near killed me yesterday, but I was still able to enjoy a Sea Cow Milk Stout from Saltwater Brewery (Delray Beach) afterward!

I was in the Telluride-Durango-Cortez, Colorado area for a few weeks and purchased a case of this to bring home to Oklahoma. GOOD STUFF!!!

proxy.php

DSCN0956.JPG

A ramped up Sumatra Mountain. 11.9%ABV compared to the 9% of their Sumatra Mountain. Heavy coffee with a slight barrel-aged bite. I think this one might benefit with some cellaring. If you like Founder"s barrel-aged stuff, you'll like this.

Don

Regret buying a six of this:

DSCN0957.JPG

Oakspire is an American strong ale from New Belgium. The bottle touted toffee, vanilla, and caramel with an oak char. It wasn't horrible, but there just wasn't anything there to make me like it.

Don

0C558798-C4B4-4738-9B55-9A916640AEFE.jpeg 5C6152A0-AA68-451F-A1E7-7CAB93B1C893.jpeg
Two good ones tonight:
Founder’s Blushing Monk and Lagunitas Willett Whiskey-Barrel Aged Imperial Stout. Opposite ends of the spectrum. Definitely not my favorite barrel aged brew, but pretty good. Not as boozey as I remember from 3 years ago.

B286029A-7C9A-4274-B5AF-50BD991F4EBA.jpeg
Coconut Caramel Chocolate Brown Ale. Like a Girl Scout Samoa (I hear the name changed.). Along the lines of Big Top Hawaiian Lion Coconut Coffee Porter, but not as good. Have one, pass on the six.

Here is an Oktoberfest out of Fredericksburg, TX. Big German immigrant population when the railroads were being built. It’s super interesting how immigration and Texas dance hall culture is intertwined.

Anyway October is my favorite beer month by far!!!

Attachments

• D9297C1A-E314-4698-9BBE-A334DC143D9A.jpeg
    D9297C1A-E314-4698-9BBE-A334DC143D9A.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
661BC417-76A1-4E5A-A5D3-3E02F4D7E744.jpeg
Wyerbacher 23rd Anniversary Golden Imperial Stout. First golden stout I’ve sampled, but it has all the flavor you’d expect in an imperial stout.

DSCN0958.JPG

A freebie, a gift from a buddy at work in our informal but established "Ya Gotta Try This One" Beer Club we have at work. He knows I'm not a fan of IPAs, but Invictus was out of their porter, and he was trying to get the exchange scale back in balance. He thought about me so I was grateful.

DSCN0959.JPG

I had high hopes for this one, but it was just okay. Nothing notable in the flavor profile, but it was smooth. Almost had a nitro quality about it.

Don

No photos, but was able to make it to Jester King Brewery while in Austin last week. Really impressed with their beers, had a couples vintage pours that were just awesome. Plus they do a farm tour and they have goats, and I do love goats!

Another freebie from the beer club at work:
DSCN0961.JPG

Okay, I'll admit it. I see a name like this and I go "what the...", and my eyes roll:001_rolle, but it was surprisingly good. A roasted aroma, with a big hit on the middle notes for the palate with a long, deep finish. From Badger Hill, a local brewer here in Minnesota.

Don

A good ale was always my choice for years, but I switched to gin years back because a good ale is just too hard to find. I always preferred Bass or Smithwicks, or even Guinness in a pinch, but most restaurant beer served today is swill. It's hard to even find a good ale in a liquor store. I refuse to pay imported prices for a Bass made in NY and most stores don't even carry Smithwicks. I do stock up and enjoy SA Oktoberfest and even SA Winterfest during their season, but I avoid buying or drinking beer most of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom