What's new

Beer of the Day - BOTD - 2018

A couple of seasonals from New Glarus:

I had to warm up to this one. Didn't like it much at first, since I thought the chocolate was a little over the top, but subsequent pours have given more of a cocoa note. Not overly carbonated, goes great with food... then...

This is a malty bock from New Glarus, with a deep mahogany hue and a pleasant aroma. Reminds me of a good scotch ale. Great beer for late season grilling or watching a game. Grab both while you can if you're close to the Badger State; they won't be around for long.

Don

The Norwegian in me would like to try Uff-da!

DuClaw's Sweet Baby Jesus porter after a long bike ride today.

7ABF2D58-510A-409A-A6C5-0B31A953DBE7.jpeg
Green Man Trickster IPA

C5496976-1021-40AF-B5FA-08AD959960FE.jpeg

Returned to Eight-Foot Brewing yesterday. This is the NEIPA. Super hazy. Funky. Kveik yeast for fermentation. Different stuff!

Canal Park Brewing in Duluth provided a couple of growlers for Thanksgiving. My brother in laws and myself made short work of their Clear Waters Cream Ale and Nut Hatchet Brown Ale. Nice stuff.

Don

F52597E3-D4EE-479F-ABC3-623BAC1E0078.jpeg

Flight of Cigar City’s Marshal Zhukov’s Russian Imperial Stout: 2016-18. Delicious, with the ‘16 being the standout.

Wow. What was the ABV? I like Imperials, but they sure don't help when it comes to enhancing your tightrope walking skills:blushing:.....

Don
Boozey for sure. 11.8%. The 2018 version had trouble hiding it, but the ‘16 and ‘17 are dangerous! Little more than 5 oz pours which I happily shared.

Would you say the growler is worth the money?

The beer stays closer to what comes out of the tap longer than if stored in a traditional unpressurized glass growler, but I will probably only use it 2 or 3 times a year. I’d hate to waste a decent beer because it went flat before I could drink it, so it has some value in that respect. It is fun to have when I host family and friends. I’ll fill it for New Year’s. I was gifted it, so the price was right! If you’re serious about having draught beer at home, get a kegerator for a sixth barrell. It’s not that much more $$.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
The beer stays closer to what comes out of the tap longer than if stored in a traditional unpressurized glass growler, but I will probably only use it 2 or 3 times a year. I’d hate to waste a decent beer because it went flat before I could drink it, so it has some value in that respect. It is fun to have when I host family and friends. I’ll fill it for New Year’s. I was gifted it, so the price was right! If you’re serious about having draught beer at home, get a kegerator for a sixth barrell. It’s not that much more $$.
Thanks. There is a beer I like from a brewery in Fredericksburg, TX. I have their half gallon bottle with stopper, which they refill, but you can tell a big difference after popping the stopper the first time.

Yeah, the pressurized growler will get you several more days of drinkable beer, but there is a step down from the tap. It definitely gets looks when you walk in to have it filled. One of the servers at the craft beer and pizza place told us to enjoy the party when we left last fill.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Yeah, the pressurized growler will get you several more days of drinkable beer, but there is a step down from the tap. It definitely gets looks when you walk in to have it filled. One of the servers at the craft beer and pizza place told us to enjoy the party when we left last fill.
Nothing will ever replace the tap fully, for sure.

Top Bottom