What's new

Beer Advent Calendar

A friend and I are looking into making an Advent Calendar this year, and I'm looking for some suggestions of readily available craft beers that come in either six or twelve packs.

Also I love Saisons and want to throw one in, anybody know one that comes in packs (I've only ever seen them available in singles)?

Saison DuPont and Hennepin are both sold in 4 packs.

Not sure how Goose Island Sophie is sold. Possibly 4 or 6 packs.

Last edited:
Saison DuPont and Hennepin are both sold in 4 packs.

Not sure how Goose Island Sophie is sold. Possibly 4 or 6 packs.

Cool, I've only ever seen 'em available as singles here in Canada (but I travel to Michigan frequently) so I guess it'll just depend on if I can find them for under the $25 for 12 bottles/cans we've allotted for each day. We've factored in a little more money for Christmas Day, so I'd actually like to get a Dupont for that day if we have enough money left after buying the rest.

Anybody else have an suggestions for beers we should include? I know we're gonna do at least one Shorts, and probably a couple more Craft Breweries from Michigan since they seem to be pretty available to us.

Last edited:
I've got a list of about 20 so far (mostly from Canada and the US) anybody have any ideas maybe from other countries?

I fear that it's hard to get many of the European craft beers over there. Often it is even hard to get them outside the region.

There are over 300 active breweries in the Benelux alone, but I think 90% of them don't export.

The Benelux (Belgium + Netherlands + Luxembourg) are the size of New England, I guess? Maybe a bit smaller?

I just read that there are 850 German breweries, but I have no idea how many are active. But in the whole of Europe there must be over 2000 breweries. Again ... finding those in the USA probably is going to be a problem.

Last edited:
I fear that it's hard to get many of the European craft beers over there. Often it is even hard to get them outside the region.

There are over 300 active breweries in the Benelux alone, but I think 90% of them don't export.

The Benelux (Belgium + Netherlands + Luxembourg) are the size of New England, I guess? Maybe a bit smaller?

I just read that there are 850 German breweries, but I have no idea how many are active. But in the whole of Europe there must be over 2000 breweries. Again ... finding those in the USA probably is going to be a problem.

Here in Canada I think it might be a little easier though. Any suggestions to look for? I'm actually ok with it not necessarily being craft if it has Historical or Style significance.

Last edited:
There you go; I focused on some better known autumn and winter beers, and beers that go well in that season:

Rodenbach Grand Cru *
Affligem Noël *
Orval Tripel *
Grolsch Wintervorst *
Gouden Carolus Winterbier *
Brand Sylvester *
Einbecker Ur-Bock *
Mönchhof Bockbier *
Weihenstephaner Dunkel *
Fullers Old Winter Ale

I tasted the ones with a * myself. I would call none of these "craft beers". Then I would look at small breweries like Texels bier, Cambrinus, and 't IJ. But like I said, you probably won't find those over there.

Happy hunting!

Also I love Saisons and want to throw one in, anybody know one that comes in packs (I've only ever seen them available in singles)?

Not sure how available it is where you are located, but Allagash makes a Saison that comes in a 4 pack. It's very reasonably priced, and I love Saisons too and can tell you that this one is really fantastic and very enjoyable.

How about Jolly Pumpkin's Noel de Calabaza? They have had a saison in the past (Baudelaire, I think), but I don't know if it's available now. Something from New Holland, like Cabin Fever? They also make a saison--Monkey King. Bells and Founders should give you something good too.

I got to ask!
What is a beer advent calendar? A box with 25 doors that fits in the fridge? Individual brown paper bags wrapped with a bow and numbered? Or do you just drink a beer a day from a special. "Stash"?

I got to ask!
What is a beer advent calendar? A box with 25 doors that fits in the fridge? Individual brown paper bags wrapped with a bow and numbered? Or do you just drink a beer a day from a special. "Stash"?

We're gonna wrap them individually with the day on each, then put 'em in a box with the doors painted on and scored with a blade. That way people have a choice to keep the in the box or not.

How about Jolly Pumpkin's Noel de Calabaza? They have had a saison in the past (Baudelaire, I think), but I don't know if it's available now. Something from New Holland, like Cabin Fever? They also make a saison--Monkey King. Bells and Founders should give you something good too.

Jolly Pumpkin is pretty unavailable without a 3 hour drive, but I do have Bells, New Holland, and Founders on my list.

Said List
1 Shorts soft parade
2 Petoskey minds eye pa
3 Bells
4 New Holland The Poet
5 New Belgium
6 Granville Islands hey day
7 North Peak siren
8 Flying Monkeys netherworld
9 Sierra Nevada
10 Mountain Town
11 Stack
12 Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald
13 Lake of Bays Lager
14 Anchor Steam
15 Founders
16 Shorts
17 Pilsner ur quell
18 Spearhead Moroccan brown

Any recommendations for the brewery's that I don't have a style for would also be appreciated

Last edited:
Hmm ... styles? I am missing (I think) a Gueuze, an Altbier, a Bockbier, and probably a Weizener from your list?

I think this is the best idea I have ever heard of. Sounds like a great Kickstarter project for 2015 if all goes well.

Ok, guys I need some mega help. One of my beers selections fell through so I need to come up with a new one...fast. I'd preferably like it to be a seasonal beer available in six or twelve-packs readily available though the LCBO in Canada or somewhere in Northern Michigan. If you guys though out names, I'll try and find them.

Mega-thanks in advance.

Lets see. I have no idea what would be available in Canada, but Michigan, you should be able to find these seasonal beers:

Great Lakes Christmas Ale
Bells Winter White Ale
New Holland - Cabin Fever (brown ale), White Hatter (belgian white)
You might be able to find some stuff from Hoppin Frog up there, but I think it mostly comes in bombers
You should also be able to find Jolly Pumpkin, but its in 750mL bottles

I'll reply if anything else crosses my mind. I'm just reaching back to what I remember from when I lived in Cleveland. Bells and New Holland are both Michigan breweries.

I found New Belgiums Accumulation and after everything we have enough left to get Wytchwoods Bah Humbug.

Top Bottom