What's new

Been using a cartridge razor šŸ˜³

Hi all,

Iā€™m currently travelling for a family wedding so had to pack a ā€œquickā€ grooming kit for reasons of convenience. No room for nice soaps, pomades or fragrance, just simply body/face wash and dental care stuff.

For shaving I picked the Gillette skinguard because itā€™s nice and lightweight (and not upset if I lost it in transit) no brush- just a can of Nivea shaving foam (I know, shout at me later lol) and some Harryā€™s aftershave. I must say that this setup is working quite well, obviously not as close as a DE blade but passable for purposes of taking wedding photos etc. The blades themselves donā€™t actually feel like they are shaving anything, but there was plenty of stubble on the cart before rinsing.

My only problem with the Gillette is that it clogs easily, I thought having only 2 blades would eliminate this issue, which was one of the reasons I stopped using fusion 5 and mach 3. But as long as I rinse frequently itā€™s not really an issue. Oh and obviously the cost, but I got the blades on offer so essentially they came to about the same cost as a pack of Sensor carts (which I canā€™t seem to find anywhere).
Ā 

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I am traveling with just a backpack right now for a week. Carrying onto the airplane. So I have to use a cart as well. My choice for this type of travel is a Gillette Guard razor from India. Single blade. Super light. Very cheap. Doesnā€™t clog. Even my preferred vintage cart, the Trac II, clogs a bit between the blades. The Guard shaves well and then I toss it after the trip even though it may have ten shaves left. It doesnā€™t shave as well as a DE or a five bladed contraption, but it does the job and feels okay doing it. I pack either an Arko stick or some small soap sample, a small synthetic brush, and the smallest splash I have, which is also usually some sort of sample as well. I keep my kit small and light. Good luck on your journey.
Ā 
I am traveling with just a backpack right now for a week. Carrying onto the airplane. So I have to use a cart as well. My choice for this type of travel is a Gillette Guard razor from India. Single blade. Super light. Very cheap. Doesnā€™t clog. Even my preferred vintage cart, the Trac II, clogs a bit between the blades. The Guard shaves well and then I toss it after the trip even though it may have ten shaves left. It doesnā€™t shave as well as a DE or a five bladed contraption, but it does the job and feels okay doing it. I pack either an Arko stick or some small soap sample, a small synthetic brush, and the smallest splash I have, which is also usually some sort of sample as well. I keep my kit small and light. Good luck on your journey.
Iā€™ve heard about the Gillette guard but unfortunately canā€™t get them here. Does sound like they would be a good option for travel, especially when restricted to carry on luggage only.

Thanks for your input,

R
Ā 
I've used the SkinGuard, but my favorite cart' is the Wilkinson Sword Protector 3 which gives me a closeness of shave, guaranteed nick free, and very maneuverable better than when I use DE or SR razors. A very under estimated razor IMHO
Ā 
I have a Fusion handle somewhere. Never really used it as itā€™s hardly better than my Mach3. I am curious to try the Skinguard blades just for the sake of comparison. Shame they are so expensive.

Jason.
Ā 
The BIC Sensitive is a single blade cart and does an adequate job. No worries about clogging.
The Gillette Sensor3 disposable razor does an acceptable job and itā€™s a lot cheaper than carts. It rinses easily enough. Plus the head is slimmer than the 5 blade carts.

Jason
Ā 
I've always liked the skinguard. I find that its quick, easy, no fuss and impossible to cause irritation or cuts with. The cart itself lasts long enough for me that I don't really find it to be expensive.
Ā 

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I use the Bic Metal sometimes when travelling and it is every bit as close as a DE. It has a single blade with a fixed head and requires, but also maintains, good DE shaving technique. The Metal is the best disposable or cartridge razor I have used and the Bic Orange Sensitive is not far behind.
Ā 
I miss my Gillette Sensor razor my dad got me when I was 13. It wasnā€™t bad at all. I think Gillette really threw the baby out with the bathwater when they started adding more and more blades.

Jason.
Ā 
One advantage, not mentioned on this Forum, of using carts'/disposable razors is that you can shave with hand/body soap because you can whizz around your beard before the lather has had chance to dry out or disappear
Ā 
Top Bottom