What's new

Been shaving with Mach 3 over a decade, but can never buy Gillette after their commercial

I’d be ok with getting a used 1950s Gillette, so long as I’m buying the blades from another company
Then if you decide to get into DE, the vintage Gillettes out there are fantastic and will save you a lot of money. If you search ebay you can find some good deals. I would suggest the Slim Adjustable or a Super Speed to get started. Astra Superior Platinum is a good budget option for a blade and so is Voskhod. I don't THINK either are owned by Gillette. You should be able to get a tuck on ebay for cheap.

I recommend either Stirling or Tabac soap. Tabac is probably the favorite of most people around here because it WORKS. I got mine on Amazon for $12.

The greatest deal on a brush I have seen hands down is the Atomic Rocket from Phoenix Artisan accoutrements. It's $12 and built like a tank. Most comfortable brush I have ever used. It looks awesome and I use it every day.

How do I make sure I get the right blades? There are several dozen eBay auctions that look like they could work. I’m in New York City, there are a number of barber supply stores here where I could buy a vintage stick or 3, just bring the shaft in and ask what blades to get for it I guess?

I’m not so concerned about spending s lot of money, I’ve probably paid hundreds for over the past 15 years for Mach 3 refills, and was glad to do it until now. I’d regret dropping a couple hundred on an item that I use like twice and then hate it. DE could work

How do I make sure I get the right blades? There are several dozen eBay auctions that look like they could work. I’m in New York City, there are a number of barber supply stores here where I could buy a vintage stick or 3, just bring the shaft in and ask what blades to get for it I guess?

I’m not so concerned about spending s lot of money, I’ve probably paid hundreds for over the past 15 years for Mach 3 refills, and was glad to do it until now. I’d regret dropping a couple hundred on an item that I use like twice and then hate it. DE could work
That was why I was suggesting a starter razor and blades. You want double edge razor blades, they are all compatible with all double edge razors. The slim adjustable and the super speed are excellent starters, least amount of money for the most amount of quality. You can trust you are getting a real DE experience from these razors, unlike the cheap Chinese ones which have very little cutting power. That way, if you hate it, you aren't out too much money.

Blade options are numerous. But even if they look the same, they are all microscopically different along their edges and will feel different to your face. You have to try several to figure out what works for you. I just grabbed ones I thought looked good and tried them. We all have to do that and narrow it down.

You don't want to cheap out on soap. I suggest Tabac because it's consistent and excellent protection. Regular shave foam, in my experience, is not enough protection against a DE blade. Cheap soap means bad protection, generally.

When you go to use your razor, do NOT press down as hard as you would with a cartridge. They aren't supposed to be used that way and can really damage your skin. You want just enough pressure to run the blade between your hair and your skin. It's a very light touch.

But be aware, it has been discussed that even the Russian blades not branded as Gillette razors might come from the same factory. I don’t know the inner-workings of the company, but they might be made for Gillette. Polsilver, Feather, and Kai are other blades people are confident with.
There are indeed a lot of blades out there that are made by Gillette that don't carry the Gillette name on the package. I'm pretty sure Polsilver is one of them. I find tryablade.com or razorbladesclub.com to be good sources of information on which blades are made where and by whom, not to mention great vendors for ordering blades.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to watch some YouTube videos. Thay way, you get an idea of how everything comes together. The process for DE is more time consuming than a cartridge. But with care and patience, you can get a better, more enjoyable shave for a lot less money.

If you make a significant switch, start with one new thing and get the hang of it. Shave cream or razor. I jumped in hard and fast, hopping from razor to razor, making erroneous judgments, but because I stayed with the same cream, found what it took to make the cream I wanted and needed without buying a gazillion soaps and creams. The razors, well that’s another story. In the end, I later realized the early Tech razor was very much like the Mach 3 I had given up.

I have some good quality cream from the art of shaving, sadly it’s made by Procter and gamble and a decent brush.

I’m not in a huge rush as I still have about a years supply of Mach 3 cartridges. But can certainly experiment now with other options as I use up the Mach 3s

Have any of you used clubman pinuad classic shave cream? It looks like standard barber shop cream from amazon

I have some good quality cream from the art of shaving, sadly it’s made by Procter and gamble and a decent brush.

I’m not in a huge rush as I still have about a years supply of Mach 3 cartridges. But can certainly experiment now with other options as I use up the Mach 3s

Have any of you used clubman pinuad classic shave cream? It looks like standard barber shop cream from amazon
Switching effects muscle-memory. When you decide to slide over to DE, stay with it until you "get-it". Immersion education.
A number of people Fly with a Cartridge Razor because of the razor blade restrictions for carry-on's. I've not run into an issue, but others have.

OK, I bit, I got a de off of ebay, a Gillette slim adjustable from 1962, mostly to see if I like de. I just need to get blades for it now

OK, I bit, I got a de off of ebay, a Gillette slim adjustable from 1962, mostly to see if I like de. I just need to get blades for it now
Excellent choice! You won't regret it, it's a really great razor. You'll want to start out on setting 2 or setting 3. It'll take a few weeks for your skin to get used to DE, but keep at it. You will adjust. It wouldn't hurt to do just one downward pass for a few shaves. It won't be as close as you're used to, but that's what I wish I had done when I started out. I would have avoided a lot of chapped skin and nicks! Then you can do more in depth shaves later on when your skin gets used to it.

Clubman shave soap was one of my first shave soaps. It's excellent. The only problem is that it's kind of a small puck and it gets used up kind of fast. I would recommend it, however. It is scented with Clubman Vanilla, not the original, in case you want a matching aftershave. I would also recommend you get a palmolive shave stick from the UK, should not cost more than $4. That's a great cheap soap too.

However, the best is soap is Stirling, in my opinion. You can get a sample really cheap (3$) and it will last a while. You'll probably get better protection from that soap, and your choice of scents are more than a dozen. They have brushes on that site too, and you can get one from them to combine some shipping if you want. Synthetic bristles are great. These days they're excellent quality. They've come a long way from the old nylon!

And if you go on the Stirling website, don't be afraid to get one of their shampoo bars. I know it sounds weird, but it is by far the best shampoo I have ever used! It'll last as long as a bottle.

I have some nice cream from the art of shaving store, been using it for years(unscented, but it is made by procter and gamble). It should be fine for now

I'm looking at getting these blades.

https://www.groupon.com/deals/gs-personna-double-edge-blade-100-box

They will fit with this razor correct? I mean, they are all the same size right?

Vintage Gillette 1962 Slim Adjustable 1-9 Safety Razor (H-3) Silver Tone | eBay

Or is there a better choice of blade that I should use to avoid making my face a bloody mess?

You want the puck, not the tub. The tub is a thick lotion like substance that is designed for a straight razor. It will clog a DE razor because it is so thick.

I also do not recommend canned shave cream. It will work, but the risk of injuring your skin is huge if you are inexperienced. You can't go over a spot after the cream is swiped off. You'll get vicious razor burn if you do. Shave soap that you lather with a brush will provide better lubrication for the DE blade and give you that extra insurance while you are learning.
proxy.php
proxy.php

I have some nice cream from the art of shaving store, been using it for years(unscented, but it is made by procter and gamble). It should be fine for now

I'm looking at getting these blades.

https://www.groupon.com/deals/gs-personna-double-edge-blade-100-box

They will fit with this razor correct? I mean, they are all the same size right?

Vintage Gillette 1962 Slim Adjustable 1-9 Safety Razor (H-3) Silver Tone | eBay

Or is there a better choice of blade that I should use to avoid making my face a bloody mess?
They will fit. That's a great blade to start with. Many people use these daily and swear by them. They're a very safe bet. If you have very coarse hair, they may not be quite sharp enough. You'll feel them tugging if that's the case. But for most people, they work fantastic.

Unscented Shaving Cream 5 oz | The Art of Shaving

this is the cream I've been using with mach 3 for about 10 years now, one little can will last me a year. Yes they are a bit high priced, and I can totally switch to something else if they are not good to use with the new blade(I can still use the creams I have to go with the old mach 3s that I have to use up)

Unscented Shaving Cream 5 oz | The Art of Shaving

this is the cream I've been using with mach 3 for about 10 years now, one little can will last me a year. Yes they are a bit high priced, and I can totally switch to something else if they are not good to use with the new blade(I can still use the creams I have to go with the old mach 3s that I have to use up)
I am sure it's good quality. Just be alert. Theres a thing DE shavers need called "residual skickness". It's basically the lubrication left over from the soap after you do a swipe with the razor. Sometimes a single swipe doesn't take off enough hair, so you want some slickness left over so you can go over that spot again. Does that make sense? Canned cream won't give that to you but good shave soap will. Just make sure your art of shaving stuff will do that for you. You'll know exactly what I mean once you start with the DE.

Theres lots of options out there if thats what you want to do. Theres Schick, Bic, Dorco, DSC, Harry's, 99 Cent Razor, etc, etc.
I recently started using the DSC 4X/Dorco Pace 4 and really like it. I find it to be a very close, very smooth shave that is quick and easy. In the past, I tried the Bic razors and found them to be tuggy. I did like the Schick Hydro but theres too much lubrication goo for me. When theres strings of lubricant coming off of your face from the razor lube strip, its too much. Ive tried Harry's and liked it but found that it clogs up with later quickly and you have to rinse it frequently. I havent personally tried 99 Cent Razor but have heard good things.
I personally intend to continue doing business with P&G because they make great stuff and because the ad didnt bother me in the slightest but if it bothers you and you want to hit Gillette where it hurts, theres certainly options to do so.

A few suggestions:

1.) Don't buy 100 of the same blade yet. Results vary greatly from person to person. For example, possibly the most often praised DE blades around here are Feathers. Lots of people swear by them; they're very sharp, high quality blades. They don't work for me. Get a blade sampler, and use each blade for a week or two before you settle on something you like, then stock up.

2.) If you want to stick with canned cream, that's fine, but for me, the best part of the whole thing is lathering up with a brush and some shave soap. It makes a difference, and, as I said before, is my favorite part of the whole process.

3.) If you're in NYC, head to Pasteur's Pharmacy on 34th, between Madison and Park. They have a huge selection of shaving goodies, you'll find everything you need there.

I've been at it about a week. Shaving with the DE takes a lot longer than the standard mach 3, and I sometimes get nicks and cuts that I would not get.

I guess another option is buying mach 3 cartridges off of ebay, that's really no different than buying a 1960s safety razor second hand off of ebay which is what I did.

3.) If you're in NYC, head to Pasteur's Pharmacy on 34th, between Madison and Park. They have a huge selection of shaving goodies, you'll find everything you need there.

I'll have to take a look the next time I'm in the area, but really I already have everything I need, creams, razor, brush, but I guess I will have to get refills on blades and more soap eventually.

I don't really understand the point of the numbers on the safety razor. What is the advantage of changing the settings? I've googled and have not really found anything, someone suggested to start on the lower settings, so that's what I've been doing. I'll upload a file of the photo from my phone

I've been at it about a week. Shaving with the DE takes a lot longer than the standard mach 3, and I sometimes get nicks and cuts that I would not get.

I guess another option is buying mach 3 cartridges off of ebay, that's really no different than buying a 1960s safety razor second hand off of ebay which is what I did.

I'll have to take a look the next time I'm in the area, but really I already have everything I need, creams, razor, brush, but I guess I will have to get refills on blades and more soap eventually.

I don't really understand the point of the numbers on the safety razor. What is the advantage of changing the settings? I've googled and have not really found anything, someone suggested to start on the lower settings, so that's what I've been doing. I'll upload a file of the photo from my phone
The numbers adjust the blade gap, which exposes more blade to your face at a steeper angle. We call it making the razor more aggressive, which boosts the cutting power. You'll feel a definite difference on higher numbers.

The shave taking longer is one of the downsides to DE shaving. You've got one blade instead of 3.The other downside is the learning curve. But when you work through these and work on your technique, when your skin gets used to the blade, you actually wind up with less irritation, ingrown hairs and better complexion. You also save money by not having to buy those expensive cartridges.

I feel your hate of Gillette and for good measure. Cart shaving had ruined my shaving technique for sure.

Carts make you shave more aggressively due to the angle of the blades, it's something you'll have to unlearn.

Shaving with a DE is quite different and the slim is a great razor. If you shave daily and don't have a lot of fuzz, anything below a 5 should be fine. If you shave less often you can increase the dial to 7. I shave daily so a 3 or 4 is fine for me.

Learn how to do shorter, shallow strokes. It will reduce accidental nicks and razor burns.

Check out the sharpness of different blades here:
Razor Blade Sharpness Summary with Comparison Chart » refined shave

Since Dec last year, when I first started DE shaving my speed has improved to being as fast as with carts. I do 1 pass WTG which is really fast and ATG pass as the final pass.

20-30s is usually how long I take to shave.

The numbers adjust the blade gap, which exposes more blade to your face at a steeper angle. We call it making the razor more aggressive, which boosts the cutting power. You'll feel a definite difference on higher numbers.

The shave taking longer is one of the downsides to DE shaving. You've got one blade instead of 3.The other downside is the learning curve. But when you work through these and work on your technique, when your skin gets used to the blade, you actually wind up with less irritation, ingrown hairs and better complexion. You also save money by not having to buy those expensive cartridges.

Exactly!!!

Top Bottom