What's new

Been gone too long.....

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Welcome back! I did the same thing, wandered through some other interests and came back. Luckily my dalliance with watches was short-lived. I am wearing an electric Timex right now and perfectly happy with it. Been back on the firearms craze lately and learning some gunsmithing (no machine tools).

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Welcome back. Watches can be beautiful. I have a couple of nice ones but only wear them for special occasions. I wear an $18 blue dial Casio resin case for every day. Throw away watches. ;)

Welcome back to Badger & Blade! :)

Some of us develop that collecting gene, and once it kicks in, the collecting don't stop until the bank is empty. lol - And some of us have wives that bring us back to reality too, so as to hopefully prevent bankruptcy hehe.

I tried my hand in doing a little collecting, but nothing vintage though, just some novelty lighters, put them in a display case, haven't touched them in years lol. I do own some vintage gear that I actually use, for example, a 12-band Realistic audio equalizer, but again, not for collecting, for using.

Hopefully, now that your back, you can grace this forum with all your new knowledge you've developed over the years. HEHE. And if not, thats ok too, enjoy your stay, enjoy the conversation, but ultimately, have fun. 😁
I can relate to your entire comment. I always have something coming in. The good news is that I collect the mail. Insert smug look here.

Welcome back! I did the same thing, wandered through some other interests and came back. Luckily my dalliance with watches was short-lived. I am wearing an electric Timex right now and perfectly happy with it. Been back on the firearms craze lately and learning some gunsmithing (no machine tools).
I managed to mass a collection that ranges from seiko to omega and Rolex. I have a beater watch and a watch for all occasions. So for me the love has fallen out of the hobby for collecting and it’s more of a just enjoy what I have now while I focus back on my other hobbies.

Welcome back. Watches can be beautiful. I have a couple of nice ones but only wear them for special occasions. I wear an $18 blue dial Casio resin case for every day. Throw away watches. ;)
For those nice watches if they are automatic or mechanical wind, even if you don’t wear them the oils used to lubricate parts and jewels evaporate or dry over time so having them serviced every 5 years is a good way to keep them running for a long time.

Just because a watch runs well on timekeeping doesn’t mean the watch doesn’t need a service. Pivots can be worn and parts will then need replacing or in some cases the jewels themselves wear out and the hole for the pivots become loose causing more damage or the watch to stop.

Just keep it in mind.

I like bringing them back to life.
I love that aspect. I had a collection of vintage razors back in the day, that I ended up giving to the Saint Sue charity auction. Though all of them were in reasonable shape, I ended up cleaning them to an extreme degree... just everything polished and mechanisms oiled, and it was the most fun I'd had in awhile. Fixing something, making it better, bringing out its best is such a satisfying feeling.

Welcome back. :)

Top Bottom