What's new

Been Awhile - What's Changed

Due to marrying off my oldest daughter in March, the virus/shutdown, moving my folks into our home and changes to the house, this has been a somewhat challenging year. Other than my normal shaving routine, I have not done much else with shaving or connecting with you all.

This year has been mostly about evaluating priorities and taking care of family. What things have changed for you all?

A huge challenge and change this year for my wife and I, especially me (who hates change). We're in our 70s. My wife had been trying to talk me into selling our house and downsizing to an apartment for 2-3 years. I resisted, hoping to die in our house of 19 years before that was necessary. However home sale prices were so high in my area because of Covid, that selling was a no-brainer. It was a real hassle (and expensive) meeting new CCO requirements in our town, but I realize my daughters (one living out of State) are better off not having to deal with selling the house if something happened to us. I hate our (very nice) apartment, but no way would we ever move in with our daughters. Eventually, as long as my gin doesn't run out, I'll adjust. My wife seems to have already adjusted.

A huge challenge and change this year for my wife and I, especially me (who hates change). We're in our 70s. My wife had been trying to talk me into selling our house and downsizing to an apartment for 2-3 years. I resisted, hoping to die in our house of 19 years before that was necessary. However home sale prices were so high in my area because of Covid, that selling was a no-brainer. It was a real hassle (and expensive) meeting new CCO requirements in our town, but I realize my daughters (one living out of State) are better off not having to deal with selling the house if something happened to us. I hate our (very nice) apartment, but no way would we ever move in with our daughters. Eventually, as long as my gin doesn't run out, I'll adjust. My wife seems to have already adjusted.

What you are describing has got to be very difficult, I can only appreciate a small part of it as I have navigated it with my folks. I am very fortunate to have a great relationship with them and it is fun having them in our home. I hope you have some hobbies and such to serve as healthy distractions. I pray you are able adapt to the changes quickly.

My Mother in law just sold her house of 45 yrs and moved in with my BIL , my wife is her oldest and was the moral support through out the process ( even went up to Philly for 3 weeks to help get it cleared out).

My Mother in law just sold her house of 45 yrs and moved in with my BIL , my wife is her oldest and was the moral support through out the process ( even went up to Philly for 3 weeks to help get it cleared out).

This has happened for many families this year it seems. I know of three others in my area besides myself. Glad to hear there are others like yourself honoring there elderly parents.

Wife works in a hospital, I work "essential" retail. Lots of overtime for both of us as both places cut staffing, full timers are required to work more. Biggest hit is not being able to go out to dinner, theatre, etc. We are both so burnt out and tired that doing anything other than crashing in front of the TV is difficult.

On the other hand, the overtime and stimulus payments have our savings looking the best it has in years.

Top Bottom