What's new

Beautiful places

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
A scenic overlook in-between towns: almost like Hawaii:

full

That also looks very much like New Zealand too. One place I would love to visit. I had a friend that lived near Mount Arthur on the south island. This was the view of Tasman Bay from the backyard just outside Mapua, looking towards Nelson NZ in the first pic.

31.JPG

2004_0419Image0037.JPG

2004_0801Image0024.JPG

Last edited:
That shot from Croatia is fantastic. We're planning a family trip there next year, so hopefully I might get to go see this view, or one very like it, myself.

And another of the moon rising between England's highest mountain, Scafell Pike (on the left), and Scafell. The shot was taken from a col at about 730m above sea level, where my son and I had pitched out tent for the night.

DSC_0236.JPG

Sadly I don't have the camera equipment to take some amazing shots here's what I have taken with my phone

proxy.php
proxy.php

A nice sunset at frog rapids. Located in Northwestern Ontario. Town called Sioux Lookout. It's about 500 km northwest of Thunder Bay if that helps

proxy.php

This was taken in Nelson British Columbia. Unfortunately didn't get to take any pictures of the surrounding area but the place was beautiful. The views along the Kootenay River are amazing.

proxy.php
really terrible picture here I'm sorry. Was a lot of smoke from fires in the region and it was dark. But this is Lake Okanagan just outside of Summerland. Beautiful area especially all the valleys and surrounding vineyards.

proxy.php
proxy.php
. Here's an idea of the smoke I was talking about. When I got there you couldn't even see the lake even though the road ran right beside it.

proxy.php
. Here's a sunset taken way up north in Ontario near a reserve called Landsdowne House.
proxy.php
the view out of my tent early in the morning. Picture doesn't do it justice but I thought the fog rolling in was breathtaking. And here's a pano with a fire raging in the background. Not the greatest picture but the power of fire always awes me
proxy.php
proxy.php
. A pic from another fire I thought was pretty cool. The cold had the smoke and everything pushed to the ground.

proxy.php
Abram Lake in Sioux Lookout Ontario.
proxy.php
proxy.php
. And here's a sunrise over Sioux Lookout this May. The colours were truly amazing in person!

proxy.php
and another sunset.

proxy.php
. This picture was taken near Fort Frances Ontario which is in western Ontario near international falls.

proxy.php
. Near Foxwarren Manitoba.

proxy.php
proxy.php
. And these two are from my cabin in northwestern Ontario. I included the shot from the air to show how secluded we are. There's no road access and nobody else on the lake. The scenery might not be on or with BC but to me the beauty of silence and being alone is amazing.

Once again sorry for the poor quality of photos and photogenic touch. Just wanted to try and share some of my favourite places to the rest of you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
A nice sunset at frog rapids. Located in Northwestern Ontario.

Is that at the back end of Horseshoe lake on the Pipestone River?

29 hours later from London On.

29 hours later....JPG

The narrows going behind the island on Horseshoe Lake leading back to the bottom end and Frog Rapids.

Horsehoe Lake.JPG

Beached Legend 14 1/2' at the main campsite.

Image-03.JPG

I've been up there 3 times. We've fished the Pipestone, Horseshoe upper and lower, Stirland Lake, Mawley Lake and Windigo.

To get to pickle lake you need to drive up highway 599. When you are driving up that highway you can turn at silver dollar down the 642 or at savant lake down the 516.

You were farther north then where I took those pictures. Frog rapids connects pelican lake to Abram lake and is connected to Lac Suel if you've heard of that lake.

The area where you were is very nice as well though. Did you fish through an outfitter or alone?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Yeah turn north at Ignace onto 599. I have come the other way into Savant Lake on a trip from Regina.

I know the area you mean and there are quite likely a lot of places named "Frog Rapids" up there haha. Lac Seul is where we last looked at renting a houseboat for a week, but that trip hasnt come about yet.

We didnt use an outfitter and there were no outpost camps on Horseshoe Lake, or any of the others we did fish at the time, but we havent been up there since 1997.

Yup that's the place. I've lived in Ignace every summer all my life until this past summer in Sioux Lookout. Beautiful country. On your trip up from the Regina way if you went north and never went through Ignace you would have had to go through Sioux Lookout and the frog rapids I am talking about.

Those houseboat trips look like a good idea. A couple guys from work do it every year and always say great things about the trip. If you get enough people it is apparently very affordable

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Yup that's the place. I've lived in Ignace every summer all my life until this past summer in Sioux Lookout. Beautiful country. On your trip up from the Regina way if you went north and never went through Ignace you would have had to go through Sioux Lookout and the frog rapids I am talking about.

Those houseboat trips look like a good idea. A couple guys from work do it every year and always say great things about the trip. If you get enough people it is apparently very affordable

We stayed north and came out to 599 just north of Savant Lake I think and yeah through Sioux Lookout, but I think I was sleeping in the back at that point. I used to live in Regina, Saskatoon, Edmonton and Warner Alberta so have driven between all and London Ontario many times. I do miss the hunting in Sask and Alberta, especially the goose hunting. I shot my first deer on The Milk River Ridge when I was 15 or 16 in sight of The Sweet Grass Hills in Montana just north of Writing on Stone Provincial Park.

first buck.JPG Milk River Alberta.JPG Milk River Alberta_02.JPG Milk River Ridge and Sweet Grass Hills Montana 1983.JPG

The houseboat prices wernt bad and I think it came to $750CAD per person, 6 people for 7 days when I checked. The last year we went to Horseshoe Lake I caught so many fish on one Rapala Rattlin Rap their teeth wore a hole through it lol. Literally, a pickerel or pike every cast, hence my user name.

http://www.lacseulfloatinglodges.com/

This thread is like going on vacation!

Yeah it is! lol

That's awesome. I shot my first buck in the Assiniboine river valley right near the Manitoba Saskatchewan border. I really love those pictures of the sweet grass hills (I'm assuming that's them) reminds me of a bigger more rugged version of where I lived last year in northern Manitoba. Swan Valley. Are there big herds of elk around there? I always saw them coming back from the farm in Swan.

Ya the fishing is definitely great up there! My friends I take out always complain that you either are fishing or drinking beer you can't do both cause all the action keeps you too busy to hold a can.

Do you still make that trip from out west to Ontario? If you do and are into hockey or just cool memorabilia there's a hole in the wall bar in a town called foxwarren. Just on the Manitoba side of the Saskatchewan border. The bar is called the Kent note and there is so many autographed jerseys and pictures of old greats that you pull one off the wall and there's another hiding behind it. Pretty neat town population of less than 300 but have had 3 NHLers come from there

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
That's awesome. I shot my first buck in the Assiniboine river valley right near the Manitoba Saskatchewan border. I really love those pictures of the sweet grass hills (I'm assuming that's them) reminds me of a bigger more rugged version of where I lived last year in northern Manitoba. Swan Valley. Are there big herds of elk around there? I always saw them coming back from the farm in Swan.

Ya the fishing is definitely great up there! My friends I take out always complain that you either are fishing or drinking beer you can't do both cause all the action keeps you too busy to hold a can.

We never saw any Elk in the Milk River Valley, and only one White Tail, but Mule Deer wow. The farmer said the ministry counted the Mule Deer and they came up with 2000 per sq mile. Herds of 500 were common, but you might see one mature buck for every 500 or more deer. The taxidermist that mounted my first one said he was 9 years old and I did him a favour as his teeth were so worn that he likely wouldnt have survived the winter. That Mulie buck was 450lbs field dressed. Another my brother in law shot and got away on us in the dark we found the next day in the hunt camp of 5 guys from the Leupold optics division. They had that buck hanging in their camp.

Do you still make that trip from out west to Ontario? If you do and are into hockey or just cool memorabilia there's a hole in the wall bar in a town called foxwarren. Just on the Manitoba side of the Saskatchewan border. The bar is called the Kent note and there is so many autographed jerseys and pictures of old greats that you pull one off the wall and there's another hiding behind it. Pretty neat town population of less than 300 but have had 3 NHLers come from there

I havent been west in about 10 years. That trip was to Victoria Island. Now thats a drive...

If you ever get to Regina, just east of there right on #1 is the Icehouse Bar&Grill. Stop in there and order the Glacier Burger. In the picture below, thats a dinner plate. They use to come in a basket with fries lol.

glacier-burger-ice-house.JPG

This spot isn't what most people would term beautiful, but it is wild, bleak and with a very remote feel to it. The picture shows my son near a remote shepherds' hut in England's North Pennines. We walked in there carrying some wood for the little fire inside the hut, and spent a warm and pleasant night inside after exploring some of the nearby hills, which are largely covered in heather.

20171104_145705.jpg

We never saw any Elk in the Milk River Valley, and only one White Tail, but Mule Deer wow. The farmer said the ministry counted the Mule Deer and they came up with 2000 per sq mile. Herds of 500 were common, but you might see one mature buck for every 500 or more deer. The taxidermist that mounted my first one said he was 9 years old and I did him a favour as his teeth were so worn that he likely wouldnt have survived the winter. That Mulie buck was 450lbs field dressed. Another my brother in law shot and got away on us in the dark we found the next day in the hunt camp of 5 guys from the Leupold optics division. They had that buck hanging in their camp.

I havent been west in about 10 years. That trip was to Victoria Island. Now thats a drive...

If you ever get to Regina, just east of there right on #1 is the Icehouse Bar&Grill. Stop in there and order the Glacier Burger. In the picture below, thats a dinner plate. They use to come in a basket with fries lol.

View attachment 836633

If I make it to regina I'll definitely stop I. There that looks ridiculously big haha

Well many very nice pictures and landscapes.
I noticed a bridge in Spain, similar to Old bridge in my city.
This bridge is much bigger and about 600 years old (ottoman age)

So, here are few I took myself

Summer 2017. Drvenik, Croatia
Camera, Mobile phone LG G5 SE

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Summer 2013. Cavtat, Croatia
Camera, Olympus SP-800UZ

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php

Kravica Waterfall, Ljubuski, Bosnia and Hercegovina
I believe my old Olympus compact camera.

proxy.php

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Top Bottom