What's new

Beating the "Cool Water vs Green Irish Tweed" dead horse

I know this is beating a dead horse, and I apologize up front, but after wearing Green Irish Tweed yesterday and enjoying it more than I remembered, it caused me to wonder again about the similarity with Cool Water. I know there are hundreds of comments on record that the two are virtually the same, and a few that disagree. This morning while out with my wife, I picked up a bottle of Cool Water and sprayed one wrist with Cool Water and the other with Green Irish Tweed. The old side-by-side comparison.

So after an hour, I have to say the two are similar, but definitely not the same. And remember, my nose isn't that sensitive, but the GIT seems stronger, and it has a much more noticeable sharp, almost tart green coniferous note. The Cool Water seems softer and more mellow relative to the GIT.

I'm not saying one is better than the other, as I think there would be good reason for a person to prefer either one. Of course, they are not priced the same, and it could be that a person would want the much less expensive Cool Water for "everyday wear", and the much more expensive GIT for special occasions. And some would only ever want one or the other, and some would never want either. All I'm saying is, they are similar but not identical.

Too funny; I saw a bottle of Cool Water at CVS the other day and was tempted to pick it up.

GIT seems stronger, and it has a much more noticeable sharp, almost tart green coniferous note.

I haven't worn Cool Water in years, but once upon a time it was my daily scent. When I first tried GIT, I noticed the same thing; I think it's verbena. I didn't remember Cool Water smelling anything like that.

Last edited:
I picked up a bottle of Cool Water at a duty free shop this summer after having skipped over it during its peak popularity. I agree that it isn't the same as GIT, but I think that they are as close as two fragrances could be without being a clone (like those similarly-named frags you find at discount stores). Even so, I had an odd reaction with them. I like and wear a number of Creed fragrances, but I wasn't really taken by GIT. On the other hand, although Cool Water was just an impulse buy, I found that I liked it and wore it pretty often during the summer. I'm tempted to avoid trying GIT again so that I can stay content with my cheaper purchase!

Last edited:
T.....When I first tried GIT, I noticed the same thing; I think it's verbena. I didn't remember Cool Water smelling anything like that.

You may be right about that. I know I have smelled scents with verbena, but I wouldn't be able to identify it by name.

I picked up a bottle of Cool Water at a duty free shop this summer after having skipped over it during its peak popularity. I agree that it isn't the same as GIT, but I think that they are as close as two fragrances could be without being a clone (like those similarly-named frags you find at discount stores). Even so, I had an odd reaction with them. I like and wear a number of Creed fragrances, but I wasn't really taken by GIT. On the other hand, although Cool Water was just an impulse buy, I found that I liked it and wore it pretty often during the summer. I'm tempted to avoid trying GIT again so that I can stay content with my cheaper purchase!

Assuming cost was irrelevant, I could easily see me choosing Cool Water when I want the softer smoother scent, and choosing GIT when I want the stronger, sharper (verbena?) scent.

I know this is beating a dead horse, and I apologize up front, but after wearing Green Irish Tweed yesterday and enjoying it more than I remembered, it caused me to wonder again about the similarity with Cool Water. I know there are hundreds of comments on record that the two are virtually the same, and a few that disagree. This morning while out with my wife, I picked up a bottle of Cool Water and sprayed one wrist with Cool Water and the other with Green Irish Tweed. The old side-by-side comparison.

So after an hour, I have to say the two are similar, but definitely not the same. And remember, my nose isn't that sensitive, but the GIT seems stronger, and it has a much more noticeable sharp, almost tart green coniferous note. The Cool Water seems softer and more mellow relative to the GIT.

I'm not saying one is better than the other, as I think there would be good reason for a person to prefer either one. Of course, they are not priced the same, and it could be that a person would want the much less expensive Cool Water for "everyday wear", and the much more expensive GIT for special occasions. And some would only ever want one or the other, and some would never want either. All I'm saying is, they are similar but not identical.

Good points. Have you tried this with GIT and Aspen by Coty? They seem pretty close to me, with an even more dramatic difference in price.

Good points. Have you tried this with GIT and Aspen by Coty? They seem pretty close to me, with an even more dramatic difference in price.

I haven't tried that, and it's been so long since I smelled Aspen, I can't really remember specifically how it smells. I don't think I ever owned a bottle, I just sampled it.

GIT smells like a chemical factory on me. Very synthetic smelling.
Cool water I can do. I picked up a cheap bottle and use it every now and again.
It's a huge bottle too.
I was keeping it at work for when I needed a little something.
I didn't think the two were the same on me. Must just be my wacky body chemistry.
Smelling them in the cap or on a card or whatever, they were pretty similar.

I've never liked GIT when sampling it at Saks, but have been open minded about it because of all the love it gets. I bought a cheap bottle of Cool Water just to see if I could learn to like the whole genre. I have a sample of Caswell Massey Greenbriar which is really almost identical as well. Plus have a sample of Chez Bond, also similar. I think I am starting to get the style more, but there is some "off" note that they all have in common, GIT has it in spades, which I just don't like. Not sure if it's the violet leaf, but I like Grey Flannel, so that may not be it. Thinking it's the dreaded "calone" which I may be sensitive to. I just don't see paying extra for the GIT (at this time) when it is so similar, if better in quality, to some very cheap things.

Guys, there is no calone is GIT. I don't know why this always comes up....

The difference between them is astronomical to some and miniscule to others. It is in the nose of the discern-er. Whether anyone wants to pay the price difference or feels the difference in price is warranted is and always will be YMMV.

I will note to fans of the genre to give Knize Forest a try. It's a similar fragrance within this genre that has some minty wintergreen notes in it. Very interesting and worth seeking out a sniff. For those that get all up in arms about longevity, however, the Forest seems to last about half the amount of time on me that GIT does. It's still a nice frag IMO.

I don't get the Aspen comparison at all, but I have heard more than one person on multiple occasions point out the similarity. Worth checking into for sure if all you care about is saving a buck. Otherwise I'd skip it, but as with everything YMMV.

Both are good. GIT is better but different imo.

I would not discount a frag like Cool Water or even 1 million or Le Male because of its popularity. It may not be for me, but at least they found a scent (and marketed it correctly) for the masses and it worked. That's business.

These are far more reasonable scents than some so called "masterpieces" that smell good in the laboratory by critics, but not applicable for real world use (unless you want to smell like a moroccan desert at work or a incense filled church).

The Caswell Massey Greenbriar is a good alternative that's not as synthetic or played out as Cool Water. I need to get a real sample of GIT and wear it as opposed to trying at the Creed counter, it always seemed rather weak in the bottle they have out. I think I have worn out my welcome for free samples at Saks...LOL

I haven't tried the CM, but as long as we are talking alternatives, I'll throw T&H Freshman into the mix. I think it's almost identical to Cool Water honestly.

Wearing them both right now. I'd say they're about 80% the same. Not identical - I can tell them apart - but very close.

GIT is denser, stronger, has some more depth and a little more grassy. CW is lighter, airy, and a little more aquatic.

Opening: CW at first is noticeably synthetic. GIT's opening is fresher but it still smells a little bit synthetic too.

Middle: This is where they are both very similar to each other.

Drydown: CW stays the same and sort of peters out whereas GIT's develops into a nice sparkly sandalwood-ambergris drydown. But, at this point the only time anyone is going to smell it is if they bury their nose right onto your skin.

CW costs $20-30. If GIT were $70 (instead of $150-400), this would be a tough debate. But once my GIT runs out, I'm going back to wearing Cool Water. (Or I might do Bond no 9's Chez Bond, which is gentler and smoother)

There is a fragrance by ARMAF (fragrance house originating in the UAE) called Tres Nuit that smells very similar to GIT and Cool Water that I believe is more natural smelling than Cool Water that can be found online for under $30 for a 3.4 oz bottle. I still have half a bottle of GIT but when I run out I am likely to replace it with Tres Nuit unless another house releases a better smelling clone at a similar price point.

Thank you so much for letting me know about this one!

Here's the link to Tres Nuit on Fragrantica for those who want to learn about it. Apparently, it has all of the same notes as GIT: lemon/verbena, iris, lavendar, violet, spices, sandalwood, ambergris. Around ~30 like you said. 90% of the people who rated it love it (as opposed to disliking it or merely liking it) ; Only 50 people rated it but that's a great ratio nonetheless.

I'm going to try to get a sample of it, but likely, I am going to replace GIT wih it (or something like it)

Thanks for the tip. I've vowed not to try any of the Creed fragrances, given my aversion to their prices, but am intrigued by what I've read about GIT. I'll try Tres Nuit.

There is a fragrance by ARMAF (fragrance house originating in the UAE) called Tres Nuit that smells very similar to GIT and Cool Water that I believe is more natural smelling than Cool Water that can be found online for under $30 for a 3.4 oz bottle. I still have half a bottle of GIT but when I run out I am likely to replace it with Tres Nuit unless another house releases a better smelling clone at a similar price point.

Thanks, pflyer!

I've been reading a lot about Armaf. Their fragrances have gotten positive reviews, and it's said the quality of their fragrances is generally equal to the $60-100 fragrances you see at stores like Sephora.

Club Nuit Intense for Men is heralded as the most similar clone to Aventus (reportedly beating out Fresco, IP2 and others by a long shot). Derby Club House Blanche is Silver Mountain Water. They have Noir de Noir (Club Nuit Intense for Her) and Bleu de Chanel (Tag Him) clones as well. I'm going to bite the bullet and order Tres Nuit. If I like it enough, I'll get the other clones.

Fragrances aren't very expensive to make, and Creed's markup is ridiculous. Plus, Armaf is even more of a secret than Creed at this point.

I'm lucky enough to have a Spritz fragrance outlet near me at the Sands Outlet in Bethlehem, PA and they have a number of Armaf fragrances. I've gotten my nose on Tag Him (BdC), Tres Nuit(GIT), Club Nuit Intense (Aventus), and Tag Him Prestige (One Million) and I can vouch that they all smell very close to the well known fragrances they are copying. Not 100% clones but 85%-95% similar. They are definitely not cheap, drugstore quality. They are on par with the quality you would find among designer fragrances in the price range you list. My girlfriend just got me Tag Him for Christmas because I only have a couple sprays left in my Bleu de Chanel bottle. The longevity isn't quite as good as BdC but its not horrible either. I had it on today because its so mild in the Northeast. I got a solid 6 hours so overall I am pleased and definitely won't hesitate to purchase something else from this house when my supply of other fragrances gets low.

Top Bottom