What's new

Beating a dead horse...one more MWF thread

I know, there's a hundred threads on here. Did the search. Here's my take:

I had a puck in my cabinet for about 20 years. Bought the bowl, too. The bowl was used for other stuff over the years and I was "saving" the puck for a special occasion. That never came, so I opened it about 5 months ago. The subtle scent was still there (I love it), and even with hard well water, it worked wonderfully. I don't use it everyday and have not experienced any cracking. I think the key to my good success is storing it in an Anchor Hocking bowl with a tight fitting rubber lid. I never added water to the puck overnight, never bloomed the puck, didn't do a single thing different than my other soaps and I started wet shaving in 1993 when I went to college and my Mom gave me a blue Lady Gillette because she told me the blades were cheaper than the Trac II carts I had been using. I hit it initially with a very wet brush, never cleaned out the left-over lather, and just stick the air-tight lid on it after shaving. The puck has expanded, but the bowl is pretty big and it didn't expand all the way. Boar brushes, my one Badger and numerous synthetics (probably the best for this soap) have all lathered it perfectly. It won't beat Tabac for my favorite soap, but it is definitely in the top 5. I guess I'm old school.

Yeah, it looks a little bit rough, but I think this is the key to making it work. Don't let it dry out and leave the leftover lather in there to keep it hydrated. Forget the fancy bowl with the loose lid. Use it for something else. MWF.jpg

Nice!
MWF rocks!!

I air dry the puck before putting it away and the performance remains top notch.

Only submerging the puck in water and then allowing it to dry out causes a drop in performance and cracks.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
MWF is a favourite that I feel needs no extra care or attention, agreed. I like the bowl and lid, not a problem for me. Tops for post shave performance.

And it's one of the few classics retaining tallow-bought extra pucks just in case. Even if it cracks, rehydrate, and use and the performance is still there.

marty

Reactions: nav

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I wonder if @FarmerTan has used his beaten horse (Vielong) on this awesome soap??
No, not yet. I'm 99% certain that Mr @shavefan gave me a sample of this YEARS ago, but I didn't get a Vielong that long ago (I'm a real Wit, a HALFwit, as the lovely War Department would say) but Steve @Graydog gave me a few.... I need to review them. They are SURPRISINGLY nice brushes, I REALLY expected them to be floppy. TOTALLY surprised by them. I'm the most blessed man any of you folks will ever meet. Not ONLY am I incredibly handsome, I snagged a NEARLY as good looking wife! Ask @dmshaver ! He's met us both!

Never owned a horse hair, and as a matter of fact have never seen one, let alone felt one. I kinda have them in my mind as a hybr
No, not yet. I'm 99% certain that Mr @shavefan gave me a sample of this YEARS ago, but I didn't get a Vielong that long ago (I'm a real Wit, a HALFwit, as the lovely War Department would say) but Steve @Graydog gave me a few.... I need to review them. They are SURPRISINGLY nice brushes, I REALLY expected them to be floppy. TOTALLY surprised by them. I'm the most blessed man any of you folks will ever meet. Not ONLY am I incredibly handsome, I snagged a NEARLY as good looking wife! Ask @dmshaver ! He's met us both!
I have never owned a horse hair brush, and as a matter of fact, I have never had one in my hand. I kinda have in my mind a hybrid between a badger and a boar??
I do know that they are prone to " twisting", so you have to be careful on how loading of the soap is done.
Now go find that MWF LOL.

Dave, it's just like you've told me countless times, you are one of the humblest people I'll ever be blessed to know. You are married to a beautiful bride, but compared to you, there is no equal!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Dave, it's just like you've told me countless times, you are one of the humblest people I'll ever be blessed to know. You are married to a beautiful bride, but compared to you, there is no equal!
I'm proud to call you friend.

There goes my humility.

Top Bottom