What's new

Beards

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I want a beard like Silas Robertson has.
+1

I started growing a beard just before the millennium (1999) and had it until I shaved it off a little over a year ago. The beard was down to my belt and so was my hair (had not had a hair cut in the same amount of time). It was funny walking down the street as people would cross over to the other side when they saw me coming toward them.

I had my barber cut my hair a little longer than a buzz cut and take off the beard at the same time. No one in the barber shop thought I would go through with it and there was a little girl there with her father who just stared with her mouth open as my barber went to work on me.

Surprisingly that after not visiting my barber for 12 years he still remembered me.

I think what made me decide to cut everything off was at a local charity I was volunteering with. A news crew came in to do an expose on the homeless. Out of everyone there they zeroed in on me and asked if I wouldn't mind giving them an interview. Sort of put my "grooming practices" at question in my mind. Been back to shaving every day and visiting my barber regularly since "the hair" has been removed

This is the biggest surprise of the day so far. Judging by all your excellent pics here and shaving advice i would have never in a million years thought you had a beard! We need pictures of this

Awesome beard!

My wife won't let me shave mine, so I keep it fairly short and even every few days with an electric beard trimmer and shave my cheeks and neck every day.

Scissors would work, too, to cut it down to a manageable length for your razor (or to keep it trimmed).

I almost always wear a beard of some sort. Most of the year, I wear a trimmed and styled narrow beard that goes from sideburn to jaw to chin, up and over as a moustache and back up the other side. This improves my appearance (I have a baby face), but keeps me from burning up on the railroad in the summer. I don't even keep hair on my chin because it breaks me out when I sweat. With this style, I still shave a lot of face and get to enjoy it. In the winter months I grow a beard from my jawline up. Just started this year's after Movember and the Atlas trial, but I still shave my neck/under jaw. I agree on a trimmer before the shave, and if you don't own trimmers the barber will do.

Toothpick, great beard, mine will not do that.

Turtle, I too would like to see the "homeless guy".

rickboone1, you can have Si's, and I'll take Jase's.

This is a pic of mine at 1 month. Will ad 2 months once one of my kids takes a pic of me.

$BillBeardM1.jpgI do have a Shavette and was wondering if that would work. I did have a small trimmer at one time I'll have to see if I still have it someplace. I'm hoping my face hasn't become tender.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I have only posted one photo of me on the internet and that one was taken back in 1969 (had a beard then too BTW)

http://www.gotfusion.com/TNO/tgf_detail.cfm?tnoid=44

and still the adventurer today!

This is a pic of mine at 1 month. Will ad 2 months once one of my kids takes a pic of me.

View attachment 294652I do have a Shavette and was wondering if that would work. I did have a small trimmer at one time I'll have to see if I still have it someplace. I'm hoping my face hasn't become tender.

I'm sure a shavette would work but i'd still trim it down a lot first, it would make the shave more comfortable. When I shaved mine after 6 months only thing i felt was COLD!

$BillyBeardM2.jpgOk here I am today. Cold huh? Maybe I'll keep it a little longer. It was -3 this morning.

Last edited:
Why not keep the beard and shave a bit off the cheeks and neck? That way you get the best of both worlds (having a beard and still getting to enjoy wet shaving).

I do shave a little off the neck. Up to the adams apple. I'm not sure I like the shaved cheek look. I may just try it before it all comes off. Heck I'll probably do a few things before it all comes off. Toothpick I don't think I could last as long as you without shaving or trimming. I kind of think this is about as long as I'd like to go. But you never know maybe someday.

Last edited:
I don't know about shorts. It gets pretty cold at -3 and the wind was at about 20 mph. We'll get to the -20s in Jan/Feb. For us it seems that Feb. is the coldest month. I'm guessing a beard isn't really going to help keep warm at those temps. I don't think it helped at -3. Btw my 10 year old did try and leave the house for Basketball in shorts yesterday.

I wore a cheek beard for quite some time, a year or so, but kept it trimmed to a short length and still shaved my neck. The wife liked it, and I did too... but there must be a certain vitamin or something that causes your hair to be extra stiff, because every once in a while I would have to shave it off and start from scratch lol

That was a heck of a beard though, turtle... it looks almost like a neck brace, perhaps it made riding in a car a bit safer!

Well, it's off. Used a trimmer that we had. Took it down pretty good still have alot of stubble think my slant is up for the first shave. So, LuckyHubby what is a cheek beard?

Top Bottom