What's new

Beards

I had hand surgery on my right hand so I quit shaving for the last 2 months. I have to say I really miss shaving. Weird thing is this really is my first beard and I’m in my mid 40s. I also kind of like the beard. It’s going to come off just not sure when I am going to do it. It is very full and about an inch long. Have any of you had a beard before? If so for how long? I’m not sure how to remove this thing once I do take it off any tips?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I grew one for bout 6 months awhile back. it was awesome, i loved it, and so did everyone else. i'd still have it if i didn't quit my job, i chopped it off thinking it wouldn't look good on a job interview. All i did was take the beard trimmers and cut it as close to my skin as i could, then proceded to shave as normal. 6 months to grow, 30 seconds to come off.

$IMG_1043.jpg

one day i do plan to grow another...

I am currently bearded, if you are planning to take it off... get good trimmers, make sure you put oil on the blades, and take it slow. Very Slow. Eventually you will have it at a "three day camping trip" length and will be easy to shave off. If you don't like to mess around with plumbing put a newspaper over your sink to catch all the hairs.

You also have another option. Keep the beard, and shave the bits to keep a nice neat edge on it. That is what I do.

Either way Cheers!

EDIT: Nice Beard Jason, that is amazing growth for 6 months!

There was a YouTube video I found..the guy removed his entire beard with his straight razor...was awesome to watch and see proof it was an easy option

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I took off my 2-month growth with a kamisori just recently. Didn't end up quite as close as I would have liked but I fixed that the next morning.
Try this with a cart razor....
proxy.php

Last edited:
That is an amazing beard for six months! I would love to be be able grow one to try it out. Unfortunately, that isn't going to happen anytime soon. The military doesn't really likes beards.

The longest I ever had a beard was around a month. Same thing as you I had surgery and shaving was difficult. Being a daily shaver, as soon as I was able to shave again the beard came off. I just used a beard trimmer to get it as close as possible then finished off with whatever disposable razor I was using back then.

P.S. Great picture Rockviper!

6 months, and mine was about half the size of Toothpick's. Guess I've got a slow beard.

Last edited:
As others have said, just trim it down with a pair of electric clippers, I'm the opposite of yourself, i have only really just started shaving in the last month or so. Ever since i could grow a beard, i have had a beard except for a handful of occasions where i needed to be clean shaven. Sometimes i would go a week without trimming it other times it would be months, beard ownership is a wonderful thing and Toothpick, thats a most excellent beard!

When i was in the army i had a beard, the temp. in northen Norway can easly get down to -40 Celcius. The beard really did warm my face and i felt so naked when i shaved it off.

I had hand surgery on my right hand so I quit shaving for the last 2 months. I have to say I really miss shaving. Weird thing is this really is my first beard and I’m in my mid 40s. I also kind of like the beard. It’s going to come off just not sure when I am going to do it. It is very full and about an inch long. Have any of you had a beard before? If so for how long? I’m not sure how to remove this thing once I do take it off any tips?

I had a beard for about 10 years and had to take it off for business reasons (got promoted so needed to clean up for the meetings). Trimmed with the normal razors. I liked it - especially in the winter. I shoot a lot and after I took the beard off, the stock of the shotgun felt very weird and cold. I took mine off with a beard trimmer (down to stubble) and then a cart. I've seen the videos of guys taking them off in one slab with a Feather or some uber sharp razor. No need for that unless you just want to experiment. Trim it close, don't try to take it all off in one pass (I must have done three or four passes). Don't go for BBS - your skin is going to be soft and not used to the razor. Get it 'good enough' and then get a real shave the next day.

Had one for almost 34 years, decided to see what I looked like without it, and a number of friends and acquaintances (female) said "without" was a little better, so...But I get the opportunity to shave each day now, so it was a good trade off.

I kept mine down to about 3/4 inch anyway, so I just shaved it off directly with my Rolls Razor. Since any shave is only cutting hair at skin level, any blade will do. The longer beard hairs and lather just get in the way more if you don't trim

Last edited:
I started growing a beard just before the millennium (1999) and had it until I shaved it off a little over a year ago. The beard was down to my belt and so was my hair (had not had a hair cut in the same amount of time). It was funny walking down the street as people would cross over to the other side when they saw me coming toward them.

I had my barber cut my hair a little longer than a buzz cut and take off the beard at the same time. No one in the barber shop thought I would go through with it and there was a little girl there with her father who just stared with her mouth open as my barber went to work on me.

Surprisingly that after not visiting my barber for 12 years he still remembered me.

I think what made me decide to cut everything off was at a local charity I was volunteering with. A news crew came in to do an expose on the homeless. Out of everyone there they zeroed in on me and asked if I wouldn't mind giving them an interview. Sort of put my "grooming practices" at question in my mind. Been back to shaving every day and visiting my barber regularly since "the hair" has been removed

I started growing a beard just before the millennium (1999) and had it until I shaved it off a little over a year ago. The beard was down to my belt and so was my hair (had not had a hair cut in the same amount of time). It was funny walking down the street as people would cross over to the other side when they saw me coming toward them.

I had my barber cut my hair a little longer than a buzz cut and take off the beard at the same time. No one in the barber shop thought I would go through with it and there was a little girl there with her father who just stared with her mouth open as my barber went to work on me.

Surprisingly that after not visiting my barber for 12 years he still remembered me.

I think what made me decide to cut everything off was at a local charity I was volunteering with. A news crew came in to do an expose on the homeless. Out of everyone there they zeroed in on me and asked if I wouldn't mind giving them an interview. Sort of put my "grooming practices" at question in my mind. Been back to shaving every day and visiting my barber regularly since "the hair" has been removed

That's hilarious. You have to post a pic of the hair. Or, you with the hair.

Well here is my beard, after some trimming. I only let it grow "wild" when on excercise. Or was on, its hard to leave the army life.
$222375_10150584902875254_684343_n.jpg

Until the summer 2011 I wore a beard for 42 years. I used an electric trimmer every few days to keep it neat, and used a disposable cartridge to shave around the edges every other day or so. But as my scalp was going bald I decided it was time for a radical change. I used the trimmer to get the beard down to a stubble, and then--not knowing any better at the time--used a newly purchased Fusion to shave the rest off. (A barber buzzed my scalp clean.) It took me three months of facial pain to learn about DE shaving--a ritual that has become a valued part of my life. (I do used a Headblade on my scalp, together with a brush and cheap shaving soap like Williams or VDH Deluxe.) If need be, a barber could trim your beard to a stubble and then you could do the rest, DE style. Best of luck!

Top Bottom