What's new

Beards, there are beards everywhere.

This being shaving forum and all (yes I get that "trimming" kinda qualifies as well), I thought I'd ask if others have observed how cool beards have become last 5+ years, but especially very recently. For those among us in their 20s and 30s, when it came to full grown beards, it used to be "hipsters" mostly for a while, but now, there are so many embracing the look.

Always quick to please, mainstream media seems to have realized and is playing along too.

If you pay closer attention to the commercials during any of the sporting events, or whatever prime time cable show you're watching, most of them will feature a guy who is "selling you stuff" while sporting some sort of facial hair (and often sleeves neatly rolled up to their elbows). :D :D :D

I can't be the only one noticing this ?

It is easy to tell the difference between a hipster and someone who actually lives in a rural area. Hipsters that sport that look always have an over the top beard and SKINNY JEANS! They also usually have boots that are in perfect shape. They are a riot to look at. I doubt one of them would know the feel of the blister end of an axe handle from the feeling of a super mocha latte from Starbucks in the hand.

Funny, I had a beard before going into the military, and now have one again now that I retired from the military. I never considered that it was a hipster thing. However, my wife likes it so it will stay.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

Beards have been in for about 5 years now. I have one but Ive had one for over 10 years now and would have one even if society decided that beards werent cool anymore.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Beard popularity has risen and waned over the centuries. I don't read much into it.

Last edited:
I have a beard. Started growing it November 1 for a company no shave November event. So far it’s been fun. It’s my first beard. Tons of people have commented about how well it looks. Who knows, it might stay for a while!

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
That's a very hairy question. Beards go in and out of fashion. Now does seem to be more in fashion.
I grew one when I was 25 and again when 50 years old. Why? Becasue I'm a man and wanted see the hairy bearded man that has been kept with in. I'm clean shaven again, as I've been for about 90% of my adult life.

Yeah we are a wet shaving site but we are also more that that. Hey, we even have a forum for Beards & Moustaches. :)

One of the reasons why I shaved my beard last year, after wearing either a Van Dyke or a short Beard since college was because my chin was really gray and beards are everywhere.
All winter I dealt with exposed skin while I ran. The Cold was really noticeable on my face. Eventually I grew it back, not in crazy, hipster way, but back to how I've had it for ever, keeping the sideburns at a .5, cheeks at a 1, and chin at a 1.5. It's great during the winter, and I believe, just as The Good Book states, we will have a cold one this year. Don't bet on a mild winter this year despite what the "professionals" are saying.

Beard popularity has risen and waned over the centuries. I don't read much into it.

And there's nothing wrong with it of course, but has it ever been this popular with younger folks ?
I don't seem to recall that, maybe I just wasn't paying attention.

Real beards i understand. What i don't get is the fake drawn beard. I forget which late night show it was, but jamie foxx was a guest. And he had a fake beard.

I grew mine in 1988, some months before Jonathan Frakes popped up with his as Commander Riker on Star Trek: The Next Generation, and have had it since. I've been thinking about the goatee/ring-beard look, but I'm not sure if I'll like my look with it; and I'd have to grow the cut-off parts back in. Maybe over Xmas break . . .

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
It is easy to tell the difference between a hipster and someone who actually lives in a rural area. Hipsters that sport that look always have an over the top beard and SKINNY JEANS! They also usually have boots that are in perfect shape. They are a riot to look at. I doubt one of them would know the feel of the blister end of an axe handle from the feeling of a super mocha latte from Starbucks in the hand.
Lunberjack beards with seriously skinny suit pants and/or brown shown with blue pants- these things need to go away.

Lunberjack beards with seriously skinny suit pants and/or brown shown with blue pants- these things need to go away.

:D :D :D

You're just "showing your age" by making statements like those.
Of course I'm only guessing, but it's pretty good "educated" guess because I 100% agree with you. :D

The funny thing is, girls in their 20s and 30s don't seem to mind the look if social media is anything to go by.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
:D :D :D

You're just "showing your age" by making statements like those.
Of course I'm only guessing, but it's pretty good "educated" guess because I 100% agree with you. :D

The funny thing is, girls in their 20s and 30s don't seem to mind the look if social media is anything to go by.
I told him to get off of my lawn. :lol:

Top Bottom