What's new

Beard Trimmer Sugestions

Well, I think it's time to replace my trusty Remington. It's been a great trimmer, I've probably had it 15 years. It still works, but the internal battery is shot. I can barely get through a mustache trim unless I keep it plugged in.

So what are you guys using?

Just chiming in (with my unhelpful reply) to say that I'm in a similar boat, albeit a situation of my own.

I've always had a beard for the last 11 or so years, but usually it's trimmed and close to the face. The last couple of years, I've been delving into growing a thicker beard. Not a monstrous viking/down to the belly beard, but a thicker one nonetheless.

Problem is, I'd like to keep my beard thick and full, but I want to trim it up and maintain it with some random hairs running wild. I don't know what to use. My Philips Norelco trimmer just doesn't get the job done for my big beard (but it will for, say, stubble). Can't decide if I should get another trimmer or clippers, but first, before I even consider either, I really just want something where I can trim up my big beard and still *have* a big beard rather than lose it.

Hope someone can give both Troy and I some information, as it would be greatly appreciated!

(By the way, Troy, nice name! I may or may not have the same.)

For years I too used a dedicated "trimmer." I still do to trim the front of my beard's mustasche but converted to a full sized Oster for beard duties a couple years back. Why it took me so long is beyond me. This from someone who has had a beard since 1971. :) Mine was always per "Navy specs" but in more recent years it's a bit longer but nowhere near anything like ZZ Top! LOL Fairly close cropped with longest hairs maybe 1.5".

Just chiming in (with my unhelpful reply) to say that I'm in a similar boat, albeit a situation of my own.

I've always had a beard for the last 11 or so years, but usually it's trimmed and close to the face. The last couple of years, I've been delving into growing a thicker beard. Not a monstrous viking/down to the belly beard, but a thicker one nonetheless.

Problem is, I'd like to keep my beard thick and full, but I want to trim it up and maintain it with some random hairs running wild. I don't know what to use. My Philips Norelco trimmer just doesn't get the job done for my big beard (but it will for, say, stubble). Can't decide if I should get another trimmer or clippers, but first, before I even consider either, I really just want something where I can trim up my big beard and still *have* a big beard rather than lose it.

Hope someone can give both Troy and I some information, as it would be greatly appreciated!

(By the way, Troy, nice name! I may or may not have the same.)
Thanks for the reply. I keep mine pretty long and thick in the winter. It's currently around 5 inches on the chin, thins down as it gets to the side burns, and fades into my shaved head. I've been doing it mostly with scissors lately, but once it starts to warm up I usually keep it more trimmed and use the trimmer more and the scissors less. I think I still want one with one comb and several settings, but have been looking at some barber style trimmers too.

For years I too used a dedicated "trimmer." I still do to trim the front of my beard's mustache but converted to a full sized Oster for beard duties a couple years back. Why it took me so long is beyond me. This from someone who has had a beard since 1971. :) Mine was always per "Navy specs" but in more recent years it's a bit longer but nowhere near anything like ZZ Top! LOL Fairly close cropped with longest hairs maybe 1.5".
Thanks for the reply. Is your Oster cordless. I have a Wahl hair trimmer, but find it a little bulky and cord always feels like it's getting in the way. Also I think I would miss the detail trimmer. I may give it another shot though.

Troy,

My apologies. It's a Wahl, not Oster and it's got a cord. Its one of their medium priced "haircut kits." It's at least a decade old. The cord is quite long and I really haven't found it to be an obstacle. And yes, a trimmer for the little jobs still makes sense.

I picked a a Wahl today. I'll let you know what I think of it after giving it a try, probably over the weekend.
DSCF0027.JPG

I think I have the same unit; at least they look the same. I think you will enjoy it for many years. Do make sure you have some oil on hand and keep it lubricated. That helps the blades stay sharp longer.

I still cant understand the coordination needed to trim a beard. Lost mine twice to careless trimming, never again. The barber or it stays :) Had a nice trim today and for 30 bucks it isnt bad, even though he mostly takes care of shaping, lines and a tiny bit of clipping. Very pleased with todays result.

Would love to be able to trim it myself but will not risk the beard again

I still cant understand the coordination needed to trim a beard. Lost mine twice to careless trimming, never again. The barber or it stays :) Had a nice trim today and for 30 bucks it isnt bad, even though he mostly takes care of shaping, lines and a tiny bit of clipping. Very pleased with todays result.

Would love to be able to trim it myself but will not risk the beard again
I've always trimmed my own beard, been doing it for 20 years now. I've certainly taken more than I wanted and had to turn a few beards into goatees, but never had to scrap the whole thing. I even cut my own hair for a few years before, giving up on it and just shaving the head. The biggest thing is to go slow. I usually whittle my beard down over a few days, so I don't rush through it. At this point I would be more afraid of having someone else trim it.

Glad to hear you found someone who gets your's the way you want it though. :thumbup1:

I picked a a Wahl today. I'll let you know what I think of it after giving it a try, probably over the weekend.
View attachment 777369
I bought this one last year and the spring on the trimmer blade broke before I even had to recharge it from the original charge, trimming once a week.

It sounds like people have had more success with corded trimmers.

I bought this one last year and the spring on the trimmer blade broke before I even had to recharge it from the original charge, trimming once a week.

It sounds like people have had more success with corded trimmers.
Sorry to hear your's broke. You could try to get it replaced. The package claims a 5 year warranty.

I've been using it for a while now so I should post my thoughts on it. First I've used it quite a bit and it's still on the first charge, so I'm impressed there. But, I do wish it had more power and/ or sharper blades. It works well on the mustache, eyebrows, sideburns, and for hitting a few fly aways. But when I really try to chop into the bulk of the beard it bogs down and starts to pull and tug. It will get the job done if I go little by little, but next time I need to do a big trim I'll probably grab the corded hair clippers. I do think it will work well for small jobs though.

I got the better Wahl from Target. Get one with a cord so you don't have to deal with the stupid battery memory that makes cordless ones rapidly worthless (IMHO).

I've been with a beard for as long as I can remember, and the past 8 years or so I've been using a Wahl Paenut. I used both the cordless and corded version, but stick with the cordless. Doesn't have as much power as the corded, but unless you're trimming beards or lining up all day it should be fine. It comes with a 1,2,3,4 guards, and does okay when trimming over comb.

My lady just picked up the Wahl T-Blade designer, and I tried it out b4 she took it to work. It's a killer trimmer, light weight and small. It's a lil bit more expensive, but I think the quality shows it. It's nice, but I think I'm gonna stick with the Peanut due to it's size and convenience.

I wear a trimmed beard and I've been using a Wahl Lithium Ion + cordless. It works well for me and the battery life is very good.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
IMG_20200714_174722.jpg

I prefer no battery, the power depends on how much heat is absorbed by the lunch.

For the last 6yrs, i've used a wahl professional grade "detailer". That's just the name, it's a very good trimmer that most barbers use.

I paid $50 for it 6yrs ago. It has a 3 guards. They have a cordless version as well.

detailer-t-wide.jpg

After going through (and being dissatisfied with) several Wahl models including a color pro, balding clipper, peanut, mini pro, and tpro... I tried these guys below and really enjoy them. Don't be off-put by it being a 'no-name' Chinese trimmer, this guys hit really hard, look great, and feel nice in the hand. I've got over 40 minutes of use going on a single charge with no signs of slowing down.

Top Bottom