What's new

Beard trimmer or hair clipper recommendation needed

Throughout my life I never cut my hair or beard, but for the past couple years I have been trimming the beard, and cutting the hair around my ears. Using scissors takes about an hour, and results vary, so I'm looking for a better option. I need something to:

1. Trim down parts of my beard to one inch length. Longer is acceptable, but any shorter and the hair gets stiff like a cactus spine!
2. Take the hair off around my ears. I'm wanting to cut a one inch wide path encircling each ear, with the hair as short as possible.

That's all I really need, other than I want a device with an actual cord. I detest batteries, rechargers, and all that. I'd like to keep the price under $100, but I might splurge for something special.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I cut hair and beards for 40 or so years professionally.

I liked, as follows:
Best: Oster. Model "Fast Feed" lasted me 35 years. Never ever had to sharpen the blades!
Next best: Andis. I especially liked the smaller ones.
Then Wahl was decent. I just ALWAYS had trouble keeping the blades aligned.

Just make sure you get attachments for the blades. I never used them on customers, but they are indespensible for cutting my own hair.

Good luck, and hope this helps!

I've had great results with this one. It's the kind the barbers use. I've had it for about 6yrs now.
detailer-t-wide.jpg
:

After trying different brands, Remington MB4700 works very well. It's a little bulky but still feels great in the hand and has a good weight to it. Very easy to use. The cut is perfect. The 4 programed settings make it easy to fade my beard nicely. Without the comb guide the cut is good, but if you want a nice sharp line I would recommend getting a T-outliner for that crisp defined line. The only downfall is when you set it down for just a few seconds it turns off and when you slightly move it, it turns back on so I use the lock on the side for storage. Reading reviews or guides before buying is extremely important, there are lots of trimmers I've used many different trimmers. Much better than those cheap light weight trimmers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
Wahl user here. Does a good job all in all. But if I wanted corded, I'd go with Oster.

p.s. Listen to @FarmerTan - he's a pro and knows best.

Last edited:
I also suggest the Oster fast feed or a Wahl pro clipper, but definitely a clipper as opposed to a trimmer for longer beard lengths. I have found the beard-centric trimmers and outline trimmers (like the Wahl Sterling) are only really good for short beards or do not have the power for an even trim. The Brio beard trimmer is a bit better for longer beards than most, but still only goes up to 21mm. Anyway, random guy's 2 cents.

Another vote for FastFeeds. My barber and I are friends and he is starting to show me some technique. We went to the Barber Suppy and he basically shoved the box into my hand and said, "You want this one"

Yet happy another Oster FastFeed owner here. I've had mine since 2006 and had zero issues so far.

Another one that I've enjoyed, but had to replace once so far, is the Remington ShortCut Pro. It's a fairly different unit. It's got a curved blade. I've clipped my hair every couple weeks for the last twenty years or so, and for a super fast 0 cut, I can't do it faster than with this one.

It's got a whole range of guards, so it also worked somewhat for a beard. But between the FastFeed and ShortCut Pro, I don't need anything else.

Maybe one day I'll give a shot at the new cordless Osters. But they're expensive. They came out with the Classic 76 and the FastFeed. A cordless FastFeed could be amazing.

Oster 76, FastFeed, and Wahl Senior are my recommendations. When I trim my goatee or when my wife does the back of my head the Wahl Senior gets the nod because of it’s smaller size compared to the 76. The Oster fastfeed is also nice, my dad had one working for close to 30 years.

I have a Wahl Platinum Pro. It keeps my head buzzed. For my face i use a Ufree trimmer cordless that I bought off Amazon.

Top Bottom