What's new

Beard trimmer lifespan and suggestions?

I've gone through 2 cordless Wahl beard trimmers in about 10 years. First one I fried when I plugged it in a 220 in Europe after about 5 years. The other has lost its umpf and has started to pull and be uncomfortable.

What do you use to maintain your beard level and form? I typically level my round beard once a week with the Wahl to keep it trim and close to the face.

Is the lifespan of 5 years normal for either blades or battery to go?

I don't know much about trimmers really but is is something that would be fixed by sharpening? Or can't they be sharpened?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I had Remington for about 12 years. It wouldn't hold a charge for the last 4 years but worked perfectly when plugged in. I finally decided to ditch it when it wouldn't turn off.

I went with Wahl late last year. 2 months in I dropped one of the heads and broke 2 teeth. They want 10 bucks for a replacement head.

I'm going to give it another go plugged in and see if that will work out. I wonder if it will pass additional power through when the battery still carries a partial charge.

It seems to make no difference when plugged in. This morning I tried it again well oiled and it worked better but still feels weak and had some pulling. I'm going to go for the Philips Norelco Qt4050 Vacuum Beard, Stubble and Moustach Trimmer. Lithium Ion battery, also by-pass to plug-in so if the battery goes or is dead I'll still get solid power. I didn't like the Wahl Lithium one since the lower end model had rubber in-lays on the handle (all the hair sticks as mine has this feature). They have a nice stainless one but it's pricier than the Norelco. I've also read a lot of good things on here and elsewhere about the Norelco products. 2 year warranty as well...

Let me know how the vaccuum feature works. I got a waterproof trimmer to trim in the shower and wash the little hairs away. But I was curious if the vaccuum worked as well.

The vacuum works fairly well. Some hairs were left on the comb but a vast improvement over the one I have without the vacuum. Sink was fairly clean. The trimmer is loud I will warn but it sounds like the blades are really moving. Also gets nice and close at 1 setting. It also has a 0 and the comb mechanism can be removed completely.

I use a full-sized hair clipper on my head and beard. Been using it for 20 years, no problems. The little "beard and mustache" clippers aren't built to last.

I have high hopes on this one since it will by-pass the battery completely if plugged in. That may allow it to live on long after the Lithium Ion battery goes.

I've been using a wahl battery (non rechargeable) beard trimmer for about 15 years. I paid 10 bucks I think and mine are still going strong. Wahl makes great quality stuff in my opinion. I use their hair clippers too. I trim my goatee and mustache once a week. I do clean and oil the blades after each use. The disposable alkaline batteries last me about 6 to 8 months. I've thought about using rechargeable alkaline batteries but haven't done that yet.

I think the key is to get a set with good quality blades. The good quality ones usually require periodic oiling. The cheap stamped blades don't require oiling and don't last as long or cut as well. These are mine or real similar:

http://www.amazon.com/Wahl-5537-1801-Cordless-Battery-Operated/dp/B0015KHMRS

Last edited:
The Philips Norelco BeardTrimmer 3100 (Model # QT4000/42) provides you with the perfect beard and stubble with less hassle. The 10 built-in length settings, with an exclusive locking feature, delivers a precise and customizable trimming experience without the need for multiple separate attachments. The BeardTrimmer 3100 features self-sharpening blades, rounded tips and combs to prevent irritation. Secured length settings ensure an even trim every time. The high-performance battery provides up to 45 minutes of cordless use after a 10-hour charge. With a fully washable head, simply rinse device under the faucet for easy cleaning.

I DE shave daily but I also always have some sort of facial hair to upkeep (beard, mustache or goatee). I recently invested in a US made Oster T-Finisher trimmer which is fantastic for fine detail for the price. I find it difficult to get clean straight lines using a DE with traditional shave soap so that's where the Oster comes in. If I am doing beard trimming or reduction I use it as well with no guards, just free hand it. Before that I have always used basic big box store type hair clippers. Best thing you can do to maintain your electric razors low or high end is oil them properly after every single use. The professional clippers blades are always replaceable.
SBS-770058.jpg

I recently gave up my Mach3 cartridge (also my TH Carlton ebony handle, Simpsons Chubby 1 super badger and Proraso products) for the Conair i-stubble flexhead trimmer. It would take me a good 15+ minutes to cartridge shave. I just got tired of doing it.

Conair i-Stubble

I start by flipping the guide comb back and use the base blade for trimming my cheek and neck lines, then snap it back and use the .04mm setting to trim the rest. Easy and fast use, 5 minutes tops door-to-door. It leaves a nice 1.5-2 day stubble. I trim 5-6 days a week.

I've gone through 2 cordless Wahl beard trimmers in about 10 years. First one I fried when I plugged it in a 220 in Europe after about 5 years. The other has lost its umpf and has started to pull and be uncomfortable.

What do you use to maintain your beard level and form? I typically level my round beard once a week with the Wahl to keep it trim and close to the face.

Is the lifespan of 5 years normal for either blades or battery to go?
i've used the Wahl detailer (T-blade) for the last 5+ yrs. haven't had a problem with it. It's the professional grade one that the barbers use. A few barbers have told me it's lasted them 10yrs, and that's using it all the time on hundreds of people. I'm sure this will last way beyond that for one person.

proxy.php

it has a 0.5mm, 1.0mm and 1.5mm guards with it. Sharp and very precise, i messed up my beard line a few times with it while getting used to it in the beginning. But now it's second nature to edge it up.

Top Bottom