What's new

Beard trimmer for 5 o'clock look

I'm thinking it might be time to look into a new trimmer. For quite some time now I kind of stopped shaving and have just been using my beard trimmer with no attachment. It's a cheap walmart trimmer, and with no attachment it does a good job of leaving me with a good 5 o'clock shadow look. The problem is that its very difficult to use.. I usually have to push it upwards in 'reverse' instead of just dragging down along my face. Also, if I add on an attachment (if I don't want it super close) it just plain doesn't work. It also requires so many passes that I end up putting a good beating on my face. No cuts or nicks or anything but it's still rough.

I'm not sure if I simply need a better trimmer, or a different type, or what. My hair is super thick and tends to curl back and stick to my face, so it's tough to get everything good. I would like something predominantly meant for short 5 o'clock shadows to like a 3-4 day length.

Everything I look at seems more or less the same.. so like I said I'm not sure if there maybe is a certain 'style' of groomer to look for, or I just need a higher quality one.

Also.. vacuum function: worth it or no? I make an absolute mess that is a nightmare to clean up every time. The alternative would be just doing it in the shower with a mirror which is fine too, just curious.

hmmm yours seems like a hair cutter/impromptu beard trimmer. I have a hard time with those, though obviously we may have different styles. I really liked the stubble because of how different it is from the style you have. I have since grown my beard out, but when I was using it, i thought it was perfect and certainly much better than any other style trimmer i had used for beard trimming previously. See what you think of the instructional video: http://www.conair.com/video.php?cntpcID=12_65&video_id=64

FWIW I recently bought a Remington MB4040, in a few weeks of use I've found it excellent. I'd just try to ensure you get a device with a lithium battery and not Ni-MH or NI-Cd - the former having numerous benefits.

Personally I'd avoid any of the bolt-on functions eg vacuum etc - just get a good solid trimmer, I've no experiecne with vacuum models but I really doubt it works as well as one'd hope. I think you're in the right path using in the shower and just washing the mess away post-use.

I have this trimmer (for hair too, not just beards), and I think it's really excellent:
$1711-clip-trim_0.png

My only critique of it is that the little trimmer on the back is cheesy and cheap - I took it off because I never use it and it made an annoying rattle because of the vibration of the main clippers.

I would recommend getting one WITH a cord. In my experience, the batteries don't hold up no matter how good they are, and how often do you need to trim your beard in Death Valley or outer space? Most likely you'll have 110V available. This one comes with a stubble-length guard that I think would really save your face instead of putting the metal right on your skin.

I think it is natural to have to use the clipper against the grain to achieve the look you want. I don't keep my Van Dyke as short as your beard, but I always trim it against the grain when I'm shortening it.

I have a Norelco with an adjustable head and vacuum that would work (sorry, I don't have a model name/number for you). Yes, the vacuum function is worthwhile if you don't want tiny hairs falling all over the place.

The issue I have with mine is that yes.. I can get a decent consistency if trimming all the way down and going against the grain with no attachment. But as soon as I attempt an attachment it's almost useless aside from on my chin. Due to the nature of facial hair.. or at least mine, even if the hair is much longer than the attachment length, it sticks flat against the face and does not get into the trimmer. So you've got hairs all over the place some of which got cut and some that didn't. On any of these other trimmers or those labeled as 'stubble trimmers' is there anything that addresses this?

I've always gotten a perfectly even cut on any level with mine. Now, I do go over it a number of times, and I hear it cutting hairs here and there, so it's not like it's a one-pass wonder, but I think mine does an excellent job. I don't have your facial hair, though. :laugh:

Top Bottom