What's new

Beard Shaving Competition

Does such a contest exist? I'm assuming that women would judge technique and final result. (Looking for that smooth face with no weepers). Maybe even judge the aftershave application technique and aroma?
Not sure about prizes or entry fees, or like I said, if such a contest even exists. ?

Right, but the competition would just be one day of the year (twice at most). The rest of the mornings can be nice relaxation!

I'm thinking the grading would go from poor to great as follows:
Major weeper/gushers - minor weepers/irritation - medium - enthusiast - BBS - Babies buttocks - glass surface

So as you can see there would be seven possible grades.

Last edited:
To me, shaving is a personal experience. I enjoy the quiet time, the slowed pace, followed by the appreciation of only one woman - my wife. A competition would sour such an experience for me.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

I see your point but your wife could appreciate your shave techniques with the rest of the onlookers.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
The only person I compete against is myself. With respect to all my friends here at B&B, their shaves are irrelevant in terms of appraising my own. So long as I get the shave I want, be that perfect smoothness, or a quick one pass tidy up, with no irritation or leakage, I've already won. :)

The only stressful part is the timed element. I can see this leading to weepers and even disqualification. It would be up to the women who are judging I suppose. Maybe they would allow the styptic pencils but I don't know.

Last edited:
I too am not interested in adding the element of competition to my shaving hobby. It's a bit like my coffee hobby. The coffee I make is vastly better to my taste than just about anything I could buy except perhaps from some fancy coffee bars. What others may think doesn't matter. The millions who love those Starbucks lattemochachinos or whatever would probably find my coffee much too strong and miss the sugar or other sweeteners, which I never use. So be it.
And my wife doesn't care about my shaving. I got a good enough shave for her with Gillette cartridges. A great shave is another purely personal pleasure.

See, I hear that, but I think if the purse was good enough, you'd quickly join the shaving circuit. (As would I).
What we need to practice is the timing. Getting BBS in under two minutes (including lather) isn't easy, but it IS possible. Although, the judges will most likely deduct points for improper technique/weepers/gushers, etc.

Last edited:
See, I hear that, but I think if the purse was good enough, you'd quickly join the shaving circuit. (As would I).
What we need to practice is the timing. Getting BBS in under two minutes (including lather) isn't easy, but it IS possible. Although, the judges will most likely deduct points for improper technique/weepers/gushers, etc.
LOL, as they say these days. OK, go look for sponsors and see what kind of purse you can raise. I can see it now. The DE World Championships, brought to you by Above The Tie and Taylor of Old Bond Street. Better test the Russian team for depilatories.

LOL, as they say these days. OK, go look for sponsors and see what kind of purse you can raise. I can see it now. The DE World Championships, brought to you by Above The Tie and Taylor of Old Bond Street. Better test the Russian team for depilatories.

Yes! Exactly. We will be back after a word from our sponsors. Pinaud Clubman brings back that powdery freshness that ever man needs.

Maybe make it like NASCAR where it is up to the individual to secure his own sponsorship.
I can see shaving jackets covered in a plethora of patches already.

Sign me up!

Maybe make it like NASCAR where it is up to the individual to secure his own sponsorship.
I can see shaving jackets covered in a plethora of patches already.

Sign me up!

Yes, now you guys are seeing the light! :)
"We were looking good till that final pass...caught a weeper coming in too steep.. Thought it was the right angle but the blade flexed and we got bit"

I think that way to much, sadly, is about competition today. Competition is NOT building up a good personality. I am just looking at my children, instead of being happy when the other one is succeeding, there is frustration and rivality. Some great things have come from Greek culture, science and philosophy, like much of our math, democracy, etc but this strive for beating all other is in my opinion a bad thing.

Instead we need to care about each other and if you look at this forum, you can see that people care about each other and they look at each other as friends rather than rivals in a competition. Competitors do at most care about team mates, but other they just hope will have problems so they can win over them. Also in competitions one is trying to keep secret all the good techniques so the rivals can not learn them. Here we freely want to share all techniques as there is no competition.

I think that way to much, sadly, is about competition today. Competition is NOT building up a good personality. I am just looking at my children, instead of being happy when the other one is succeeding, there is frustration and rivality. Some great things have come from Greek culture, science and philosophy, like much of our math, democracy, etc but this strive for beating all other is in my opinion a bad thing.

Instead we need to care about each other and if you look at this forum, you can see that people care about each other and they look at each other as friends rather than rivals in a competition. Competitors do at most care about team mates, but other they just hope will have problems so they can win over them. Also in competitions one is trying to keep secret all the good techniques so the rivals can not learn them. Here we freely want to share all techniques as there is no competition.
Very well said. It's hard to find a better bunch of men than in this community. Introduce competition and everything changes. We lose our most important quality, that which makes this hobby so appealing (at least to me), the camaraderie.

Could we have trained pit crews in case it was necessary to change a blade mid shave without losing too much time?
Possibly even a caddie to help with the difficult decisions such as razor, blade & soap choice all dependent on the conditions and environment of the “Shave Dome” for that weeks fierce competition.

I know choosing a soap is the most time consuming aspect of my shave. If I only had another fella there to lend advice, it would be that much faster!

:idea:

All true, but I hope it was clear I'm joking around here, and I'm sure other posters are as well. Cooperation and competition both have their place in life. And those who insist on turning everything into a competition to be won at all costs end up causing many of the world's biggest problems, imo.

Possibly even a caddie to help with the difficult decisions such as razor, blade & soap choice all dependent on the conditions and environment of the “Shave Dome” for that weeks fierce competition.

I know choosing a soap is the most time consuming aspect of my shave. If I only had another fella there to lend advice, it would be that much faster!

:idea:
Oh, I just saw this!!! What a great idea! +1

Top Bottom