What's new

Beard reduction/trimming - question

Hello,
I started using a SE to shape my beard, which I keep short (about 4-5mm or 1/5 inch). I currently use a Philips Norelco BeardTrimmer 3500 to do the trimming, and I''ve tried many others, but unfortunately the hair on my neck grow in many different directions and I'm finding it very hard to catch them even going AGT.
I was considering non-electric alternatives and I found these Weck hair shapers on the bay (example here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Wec...164979?hash=item5b249b0c73:g:xqAAAOSwDuJW10rE)

Can this be a good option? By the look of it, it seems like the guard creates enough space from the blade to get the lenght I want for my beard.

If I understand the question, you are wanting to use it to trim the length. I suppose it may work, but you would probably need to change the blade often. It would need to be extremely sharp to cut the hair and not just push it over. Also it would dull very quickly if you are using it on dry hair. You could get one and try it. If It doesn't work they do make nice shavettes when you take the guard off. They are very nice if you want really clean lines, and work well for carving out around the soul patch.

If I understand the question, you are wanting to use it to trim the length. I suppose it may work, but you would probably need to change the blade often. It would need to be extremely sharp to cut the hair and not just push it over. Also it would dull very quickly if you are using it on dry hair. You could get one and try it. If It doesn't work they do make nice shavettes when you take the guard off. They are very nice if you want really clean lines, and work well for carving out around the soul patch.

Your understanding is correct. I went to a Sally Beauty and they told me that these shapers (like the Fromm that they carry) actually give a close shave though, not really a trim. I am reconsidering, what I am really looking for is basically a straight razor with a guard to keep the beard hair short, not shaved. I would have used it on wet hair, I might give it a shot and worst case scenario, my beard will grow back in 1-2 weeks ;)

Even if it doesn't work they do make nice shavettes. Another non-electric alternative may be a pair of old school barber shears, but in the end a beard trimmer is probably the quickest easiest way. Keep us posted.

Another non-electric alternative may be a pair of old school barber shears, but in the end a beard trimmer is probably the quickest easiest way. Keep us posted.

I would say I can't think of any non-electric options that would work well other than barber shears/scissors. The electric trimmers are going to be the fastest and most efficient method for sure. If those seem to miss some spots, you could go back and touch up with the scissors as needed.

Top Bottom