What's new

Beard Prep?

Anybody use a hot towel as a prep, how long do you leave it on your face if you do so? I'd like to soften up my whiskers instead of them feeling like 100 grit sandpaper. I currently use AOS PreShave Oil. I have read somewhere that I should leave it on my whiskers for 5 min prior to applying lather? Maybe that will do the trick. I currently apply the oil, apply the lather in less than a minute afterwards.

My usual prep is a hot shower then CeraVe face wash.

On occasion I use a hot towel (moisten, then 20 sec in the microwave) for a few minutes.

AOS preshave oil is good.
better yet, a pre-wash with any translucent glycerin soap, lathered well, then rinsed.
in any case, vigorous face wash always helps.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I like to massage the well hydrated soap I’m using into my whiskers. I use the back of my hand to really agitate the stubble and work things in before face lathering. Then take my time building lather with a brush. This face prep routine is sufficient for me.

Hot shower beforehand, and generally use Proraso pre-shave.

If no shower, hot towel. Not for a crazy long time, I'll just hold it on my face until it cools off, and do that two or three times. You can feel your whiskers soften up. Putting the towel on your face after applying pre-shave (or even some lather) is fantastic.

I have noticed over the years people who use a hot towel generally are not using it on a lathered face.
Barbers lather the face, apply the hot towel over the lather and let sit, remove the towel and all remaining lather then Re- lather and begin the shave.
Have any of you employed the towel over lather or just a wet towel?

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I keep trying all sorts of pre-shave routines (save for hot towels), and find them only of marginal benefit.

A good hot face rinse followed by some quality lather (or gel if I'm in a hurry) usually yields a fine shave. Sub-par shaves generally signal it's time for me to spend a dime and change blades.

Thanks all for sharing your experiences. I am debating on pulling the trigger on a Steamer plus steaming towels that are sold on Amazon.

Pre-shave shower. I use a facial brush and Korean Innisfree - Volcanic Pore Cleansing Foam.
when. Get out of the shower my whiskers feel like they’ve grown and are sticking straight out.
C3570B29-222C-43E9-861E-1E8F9E5417B1.jpeg

I use a towel so hot I can barely pick it up for 30 to 45 secs over a layer of Pro-shave (I don't think it matters what you use your regular cream will work fine). I may repeat it, I may not. Today I did that routine then shaved with a Fine Marvel, a (4) 7 o'clock yellow and Foamy Barbershop. 2 passes wtg, atg and the shave was a solid 10.

I have noticed over the years people who use a hot towel generally are not using it on a lathered face.
Barbers lather the face, apply the hot towel over the lather and let sit, remove the towel and all remaining lather then Re- lather and begin the shave.
Have any of you employed the towel over lather or just a wet towel?
I use Pro-shave but regular lather works as well.

I've only started using hot towels and preshave cream into my headshaving routine and honestly I think it makes a difference, glad I'm doing it tbh

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
90% of my shaves are in the shower. I find beard prep and clean up to be the ultimate while in the shower.

4% is at the sink, after the shower. While the beard tends to dry out a bit getting out drying off and then prepping for the shave, the just previous shower, helps to easily bring the beard back to a prepped condition for the shave.

1% of the time, If it's a special day, like a birthday shave, or going out on the town for an anniversary dinner or something, I like to shower the night before and then wake up the next day and treat myself to an old school hot towel shave at the sink.

Prep takes a bit longer, but that's the point isn't it? :) Going thru the process of an old barber shave is the enjoyment.

I first, get a barber towel which is about the size of my face and neck, wet it at the sink and wringing out the excess water until it's still quite wet, but not dripping.

Then, I will place it in a small, miniature crock pot with a lid and plug it up on the bathroom counter.

Mini-Crock-Pot-16-Ounce-Little-Dipper-Chrome-Slow-Cooker.jpg

It's just big enough for the barbers towel. While it is heating up and turning the moisture in the towel to hot steam, I will wash my face and neck at the sink and then apply a few drops of Shave Secret pre shave oil. I also, like to whip up my lather from my chosen soap or cream at this time and getting my razor ready for the shave.

By this time, the pre shave oil has soaked in and moisturized my beard and skin and the towel is hot and smoking with steam as I pull it out of the small crockpot. I hold it by it's edges for a few seconds, letting it release some of the steam, so I don't burn myself and then placing the steamy barber towel on my face and neck.

I keep it there for a minute or so and then place the towel, back in the crock pot, but I unplug the pot. I don't want to reheat it, just keep it warm with the lid on while I shave. Most shave oils, will gunk up a razor during the shave, but after using the hot towel, it thins out the oil on my face and allows the lathering process to absorb the rest, which keeps the razor and blade free from gunk during the shave.

After my shave, I can pull the towel from the pot for the last time and get a warm relaxing wipe of the face and neck, removing any left over lather. Then a cold water rinse of the same towel and wiping my face again, is very soothing to the skin and sealing and closing the pores and bracing the skin on the face and neck with the cold water.

Then I am ready for the finish with my chosen aftershave. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom