What's new

Beard oil or Pennzoil?

When I had a beard, I used balm. Not a fan of oil on my beard or on my face (pre-shave oil).

When I had a beard, I used balm. Not a fan of oil on my beard or on my face (pre-shave oil).
Thank you, Dominic! I’ll give it a look!!!

I've tried a few beard oils and scent did seem to be highly subjective, of course. But even with that there are some big differences in quality that don't always go hand in hand with price.

For example, I like the oil feel, and the scents of the Grave Before Shave line, but didn't like the feel or highly artificial/medicinal smell of Proraso's Wood & Spice despite the good reviews. My point is that there seems to be a very high degree of variability in beard oils and it's worth trying a few different brands to find what suits you best--there can be bigger differences than you might expect.

Try a few to see what you might like. How does it feel, do you like the scent, does it last or dissipate? Worth trying a few to see what suits you best.

I've tried a few beard oils and scent did seem to be highly subjective, of course. But even with that there are some big differences in quality that don't always go hand in hand with price.

For example, I like the oil feel, and the scents of the Grave Before Shave line, but didn't like the feel or highly artificial/medicinal smell of Proraso's Wood & Spice despite the good reviews. My point is that there seems to be a very high degree of variability in beard oils and it's worth trying a few different brands to find what suits you best--there can be bigger differences than you might expect.

Try a few to see what you might like. How does it feel, do you like the scent, does it last or dissipate? Worth trying a few to see what suits you best.
I feel the same way about grave before shave very good and proraso was like no other wood and spice I ever smelled, not good imo

Thank you! I’m thinking my wife likes my Sandalwood shave cream scent more that I like oiling my goatee. Happy wife, happy life! But I do appreciate everyone’s input.

Curly Out.

I'm a firm believer in dual-use products. Ballistol is not only scented somewhere between licorice and gym socks, but you can use it to hone too. Next time, consider going that route. :)

Not exactly cloves and vanilla with a finish of Hoppes No. 9, but it'll get the powder fouling out, and the handlebars in.

Honestly I think that Ballistol might be a bit drying. I think that especially if you have thick curly facial hair something like Royal Purple or if you want to save some money Rotella would work.

However, I just shaved my beard off after 4 years. I often used Jojoba oil. It is actually not an oil, it's a waxy ester which is similar to the oils your skin produces. I is also fairly lite with little to no scent. I also rubbed it into my skin which helped with the dander under the beard. You don't need much even with a full length beard I only used around 10 drops.

Thank you! I’m thinking my wife likes my Sandalwood shave cream scent more that I like oiling my goatee. Happy wife, happy life! But I do appreciate everyone’s input.

Curly Out.
Beard oil is a good idea. It helps the skin and keeps your beard softer and healthier.

Some of the oils smell great and the are quite a few that are sandalwood or go well with sandalwood.

But for some more uncommon scents it came be hard to get a good match between shaving soap/aftershave and beard oil. In a case like that, you can either use a very faintly scented oil or there are many good unscented beard oils as well.

I feel the same way about grave before shave very good and proraso was like no other wood and spice I ever smelled, not good imo
I really like the Grave Before Shave oil, it really lasts and does a great job for my beard. Plus their scents both smell great and last. I was really surprised at how variable different brands of beard oil were at first.

For a bunch of products all doing the same thing there are significant quality and overall functionality differences. Well worth trying a few different brands I think until you find the ones with a formula that best suits your taste.

The Grave Before Shave branding and artwork makes me cringe just a little bit 💀, but the results are what matter to me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom