What's new

Beard oil or Pennzoil?

I received a bottle of Vivo Cedarwood beard oil as a gift. I’m brand new here at B&B and have never used beard oil. I tried it according to instructions, but the scent I perceive is more 10W-30 than cedarwood. Or wood of any type. Is this common or perchance I’m olfactory-challenged. Any insight is sincerely appreciated.

Curly

I received a bottle of Vivo Cedarwood beard oil as a gift. I’m brand new here at B&B and have never used beard oil. I tried it according to instructions, but the scent I perceive is more 10W-30 than cedarwood. Or wood of any type. Is this common or perchance I’m olfactory-challenged. Any insight is sincerely appreciated.

Curly
Welcome aboard, try a different brand jmo

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Scents are a funny thing, what some people hate others love.
Manufacturers try to get a scent centered on a large audience, but there are always outliers there.
All you can do is try something else, maybe read some reviews of what the item smells "like".
That's always easier for me than trying to decipher descriptions from folks who are trying to impress more than express, stuff like "a top note of bergamot, which settles in to long steady burst of ganache" kind of stuff.

Thanks! I thought maybe my Vivo beard oil was somehow mis-labeled and someone here might have had a similar experience. As it was a gift and I only sport a goatee, I think I’ll park it in the shave den. As soon as I get a shave den. Until a few months ago, I didn’t know what a shave den was. Now it appears I have another obsession.

Thanks! I thought maybe my Vivo beard oil was somehow mis-labeled and someone here might have had a similar experience. As it was a gift and I only sport a goatee, I think I’ll park it in the shave den. As soon as I get a shave den. Until a few months ago, I didn’t know what a shave den was. Now it appears I have another obsession.
That’s how it starts

Sometimes the scent will flash off from older products. You could add your own essential oil, just a few drops is all you need. A mixture like lavender/cedar or lime/cedar works pretty well.
Very good advice, that's what I usually do. The most important advantage of oils is their naturalness and their composition, each oil has many nutrients that are beneficial to our hair, each oil contains a complex chemical composition: trace elements, macronutrients, vitamins, fatty acids, amino acids, so I would just in case before adding any oil, put it on your skin (for example on the hand) and wait a while (about an hour). If in that time there is no suspicious reaction, such as redness of the skin at the place of application or discomfort, then you can safely use it.

Very good advice, that's what I usually do. The most important advantage of oils is their naturalness and their composition, each oil has many nutrients that are beneficial to our hair, each oil contains a complex chemical composition: trace elements, macronutrients, vitamins, fatty acids, amino acids, so I would just in case before adding any oil, put it on your skin (for example on the hand) and wait a while (about an hour). If in that time there is no suspicious reaction, such as redness of the skin at the place of application or discomfort, then you can safely use it.
Thank you very much, michaelvvmoreno!

Plenty of great scented beard products out there. Bad@sss Beard Care has some great products, seems to stretch a long ways using per label directions. Wife approves of everything that I tried from them, which says a lot in my book. She’s not one to pull punches.

Plenty of great scented beard products out there. Bad@sss Beard Care has some great products, seems to stretch a long ways using per label directions. Wife approves of everything that I tried from them, which says a lot in my book. She’s not one to pull punches.
Thanks Possum092! Will give them a look. My lovely bride also heads the Shaving Scent Approval Department. Thus far TOBS Sandalwood gets her highest ratings, with the milder TOBS Almond getting blasé reviews. TOBS Eton College did not fair well however. I can only use that one when she’s out of town.

Without intending offense, if you’re Possum092, are there 91 other Possums here on B&B? 😁

Thanks again for the suggestion!

Most Sincerely,

Curly

Thanks Possum092! Will give them a look. My lovely bride also heads the Shaving Scent Approval Department. Thus far TOBS Sandalwood gets her highest ratings, with the milder TOBS Almond getting blasé reviews. TOBS Eton College did not fair well however. I can only use that one when she’s out of town.

Without intending offense, if you’re Possum092, are there 91 other Possums here on B&B? 😁

Thanks again for the suggestion!

Most Sincerely,

Curly
I am not sure about any others on the site.

Curly
I don't know how much you're using, but I wonder if what you're smelling would change if you used less. Whenever I try something new with a new scent I'll usually go light with it until it I figure out what it smells like on me and how long it lasts throughout the day. Plus, I don't really want a scent cloud trailing behind me when I walk around. I've heard that scents can smell differently on different people due to the ingredients mixing with their own chemistry.

I've used an unscented, oil-free, moisturizer with an SPF of 15 on my face/neck for years, and found that it tends to dry out in certain spots throughout the day. Recently, I started adding two drops of a beard oil, (though I don't have a beard,) to the mix before I apply it on my face/neck. (back of the neck doesn't need extra oil, though)

I can smell the scent most of the day with just the two drops of oil added, and it moisturizes all day long. I think it would be overpowering if I used the beard oil full strength.

I don't know how much you're using, but I wonder if what you're smelling would change if you used less. Whenever I try something new with a new scent I'll usually go light with it until it I figure out what it smells like on me and how long it lasts throughout the day. Plus, I don't really want a scent cloud trailing behind me when I walk around. I've heard that scents can smell differently on different people due to the ingredients mixing with their own chemistry.

I've used an unscented, oil-free, moisturizer with an SPF of 15 on my face/neck for years, and found that it tends to dry out in certain spots throughout the day. Recently, I started adding two drops of a beard oil, (though I don't have a beard,) to the mix before I apply it on my face/neck. (back of the neck doesn't need extra oil, though)

I can smell the scent most of the day with just the two drops of oil added, and it moisturizes all day long. I think it would be overpowering if I used the beard oil full strength.
Thanks, HairScraper! I followed the instructions, it was just a couple of drops, but I didn’t enjoy the scent. I’m going to mix it/add some sandalwood at the suggestion of NorthernSoul. Whilst I don’t object to smelling like Marvel Mystery Oil or Hoppes #9 when appropriate, neither impresses my bride on date night.

Thanks again Y’all!

Curly

Top Bottom