What's new

Beard Newbie questions... product and trimmer recommendations needed

proxy.php

I started this with the idea of growing it out for Movember. But after getting several compliments on it in the first and second weeks, I've decided to clean it up and keep it around this length.

Therein lies my first question. I'm currently using a straight and a safety razor to trim the neck and keep the strays down up high on the cheek, but I need something to trim and detail the beard (get rid of flyaway hairs etc.). The first site I found was this Keep Facial Hair In Check With These Sleek Trimmers. So I was contemplating the Norelco beard trimmer 7200. I'm wide open to suggestions. Any recommendations for/against this one or another?

Second question: I want to treat my skin (still a little irritated at present, and I've noticed a couple zits...), to soften it (one of my sons told me yesterday that it felt like a plastic kitchen scrub brush...), and to keep it looking neat (not with whisker bed-head). What do I need? A beard conditioner, a balm, a beard oil? Any recommendations?

Thanks gents!

Rob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Two options for trimmers: electric trimmer or scissors. At shorter lengths like you'll probably stick to, an electric trimmer should be fine. I haven't used the 7200, but I do have an older 7100 that has worked pretty well, so I imagine it's comparable in quality, if not better.

As for skin/hair care, a beard oil should be sufficient and these days you can't throw a rock without hitting someone who makes good beard oil, it really depends on what you're willing to spend. On the cheaper end you've got Grave Before Shave (known for a variety of scents) and Honest Amish (consistently great reviews) and starting out cheaper may be where you want to look first. It's also a good idea to wash your face with a mild soap or a beard wash. Grandpa's Pine Tar Soap is good for facial hair and comes in a few different scents. I haven't used it yet, but I recently heard about Professor Fuzzworthy's Beard Shampoo and have seen nothing but glowing praise. While I can't personally recommend it yet, I am looking forward to trying it out for myself.

Hope that helps!

Two options for trimmers: electric trimmer or scissors. At shorter lengths like you'll probably stick to, an electric trimmer should be fine. I haven't used the 7200, but I do have an older 7100 that has worked pretty well, so I imagine it's comparable in quality, if not better.

As for skin/hair care, a beard oil should be sufficient and these days you can't throw a rock without hitting someone who makes good beard oil, it really depends on what you're willing to spend. On the cheaper end you've got Grave Before Shave (known for a variety of scents) and Honest Amish (consistently great reviews) and starting out cheaper may be where you want to look first. It's also a good idea to wash your face with a mild soap or a beard wash. Grandpa's Pine Tar Soap is good for facial hair and comes in a few different scents. I haven't used it yet, but I recently heard about Professor Fuzzworthy's Beard Shampoo and have seen nothing but glowing praise. While I can't personally recommend it yet, I am looking forward to trying it out for myself.

Hope that helps!

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
For itchy skin, aftershave balm works quite well - for the beard itself, choose beard oil. The itching will ease after a while, once your skin gets used to it. If you grow it longer, look into getting a pure bristle brush to help keep both the beard and skin clear of stuff lurking in there, including dead skin cells.

For trimmers, I have has good results with Phillips and Remington brands.

I make my own beard oil: 50% fractionated coconut oil, 25% jojoba oil, 25% argan oil. A drop of some kind of scenting oil can be added, but make sure it is both safe for the skin, and food safe. Even if your food isn't going in via the beard, it's easy to get beard oil back on your hands from your beard before/while you are eating.

Nice beard!

I have the Wahl trimmer in your link. I'm pretty happy with it so far. The battery last forever, I've had it about six months or so and have only charged it two maybe three times. Still made in the USA too. Before that I had a Remington for years with no issues, until the battery finally gave up.

I think a beard oil would be best for your length, but a low hold balm would probably work well too. I like WSP beard oils and balms they work well and have a great variety of scents. Also Cremo makes a really good oil that is pretty cheap and probably available to you locally at Walmart or your local Grocery store.

Top Bottom