What's new

Beard Mapping

Anyone notice a change in beard growth direction since starting DE shaving or is this even possible? The area below both my sideburns to my jawline seems to have changed from straight down to slightly angled backwards. Has this happened to anyone or am I just imagining it? I have changed my first pass shave direction to accommodate this and seem to get a much smoother pass. Thanks

Now that you mention, I was wondering this myself.
A couple months ago I notice some irritation on my neck on both sides by the adams apple, on the right side my WTG pass was north to south and the left side was south to north, but after the irritation appeared, I took a couple of days off to heal and I noticed closely my beard pattern and seemed like it changed, so now the WTG pass is diagonal from north to southeast on the right and north to southwest on the left and ever since irritation is gone, in fact my neck has never felt better

No real change in beard direction for me. However, my ingrown hairs have resolved completely and my skin has improved!

I'd say I know more about my facial hair since wet shaving. With cartridges, I'd go with and against and have irritation for days after. Now I am more aware of how my hair grows.

Anyone notice a change in beard growth direction since starting DE shaving or is this even possible? The area below both my sideburns to my jawline seems to have changed from straight down to slightly angled backwards. Has this happened to anyone or am I just imagining it? I have changed my first pass shave direction to accommodate this and seem to get a much smoother pass. Thanks

I have found and still find beard mapping to be tricky where it seems to go one way one day and a different way the next. I have managed to adapt my technique to deal with this, but yeah, it's a bit of a mystery.

I use my hands to wash my face before shaving, in the shower and out. This allows me to "beard map" every time I shave.

My beard seems to stay in the same place from shave to shave but since I "feel" it every time it would be easy to not notice any difference.

I believe that hair growth is genetically determined. I once asked my barber if hair could be "trained" to orient in a particular direction, which was a popular concept at the time (50 years or so) regarding the long hair styles of the time. He just laughed at me.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
IMG_20180717_153805_edit.jpg

This is one of my beard hairs. There's no consistency to the curl in terms of tightness, duration, or direction. This is actually a fairly straight one, some suddenly have an almost 90 degree kink or two along the length. This change happens at root level, and every single one of them does the same thing, so no one hair is ever growing exactly the same way throughout its life span, and neither are its neighbours.

My beard map is just a guide, and should be considered like prevailing winds. Just because they usually go in a certain direction, doesn't mean they're doing that now, or that all of them in any given area are all doing the same thing.

If your beard grows perfectly straight, then maybe there'll be no change. Mine however, tends to follow a general trend, but at no point am I truly WTG, XTG or ATG at any point, as there's always some parts veering off in a different direction. This might sway the overall map at times, and a cheek might seem to be mostly downward for a while then seem to be nearer 30 or 45 degrees off another time.

Long story short - you're not alone!

I did a search using the word "mapping" and saw this thread. The OP asked the same exact thing I was wondering this morning. I did my usual shave. RazoRock GameChanger OC, Polsilver SI, The Fat 'As shaving soap (Haslinger Schafmilch and Mitchell's Wool Fat 50/50), Connaught Omega boar. I did a normal 3 pass shave WTG, XTG and ATG with some touch up. After I was done I noticed that the area on my left cheek closer to my mouth and nose running essentially from the jawline up to the bottom of my nose is stubbly. When I originally mapped my beard I had determined that the hair was growing downward with a slight angle towards my ears. Rubbing my hands over this area this morning it appears the hair growing in this spot is angled the other direction, meaning still growing downwards but now with an angle towards my nose. The other side of my face is nice and smooth. This has me stumped because it's not the direction I remember mapping. So, I am inclined to think that hair growth can change direction.

I dont think growth direction changes, but rather that you are more observant as a result of doing it regularly and getting better at it. Similair to golf, the better you get the more attention to detail is required to do it well.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I dont think growth direction changes, but rather that you are more observant as a result of doing it regularly and getting better at it. Similair to golf, the better you get the more attention to detail is required to do it well.

This has also been my experience. My map hasnt changed, how I shave has.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I did a search using the word "mapping" and saw this thread. The OP asked the same exact thing I was wondering this morning. I did my usual shave. RazoRock GameChanger OC, Polsilver SI, The Fat 'As shaving soap (Haslinger Schafmilch and Mitchell's Wool Fat 50/50), Connaught Omega boar. I did a normal 3 pass shave WTG, XTG and ATG with some touch up. After I was done I noticed that the area on my left cheek closer to my mouth and nose running essentially from the jawline up to the bottom of my nose is stubbly. When I originally mapped my beard I had determined that the hair was growing downward with a slight angle towards my ears. Rubbing my hands over this area this morning it appears the hair growing in this spot is angled the other direction, meaning still growing downwards but now with an angle towards my nose. The other side of my face is nice and smooth. This has me stumped because it's not the direction I remember mapping. So, I am inclined to think that hair growth can change direction.

My apparent map changes over time too, and at times I have to adjust how I shave. I don't expect the pores in my skin to have changed direction, but the frizziness on my beard is sufficient to effect an apparent change of direction.

Well, I used my newfound beard mapping info to use today and adjusted my shave to address the apparent new direction of growth. Was treated to a nice smooth shave. Beard mapping has been the single most beneficial thing for my shaving routine.

Well, I used my newfound beard mapping info to use today and adjusted my shave to address the apparent new direction of growth. Was treated to a nice smooth shave. Beard mapping has been the single most beneficial thing for my shaving routine.

Nice to hear. I alway say, it is many things that need to happen together in harmony to achieve a great shave. Prep, technique, beard mapping, sharp edge, good lather and experience, it no small feat.

I guess I'm lucky, most of my facial hair grows more or less downward. Only the bottom of my neck really grows upward, and it's more up and out, which makes it easier to shave against the grain . So I just do downward passes.

Top Bottom