What's new

Beard Issue

Good Morning,

I'm having an issue with my beard. It's about a month in now, and I'm having considerable irritation issues to the point where it's making it hard to sleep at night. I'm using Cremo Beard wash every other day, Cremo beard oil in the morning and evening, and a Cremo brush when using the beard oil. I'm not sure what's going on. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What do you mean by, "irritation"? Does it itch? Youre about at the point where the itch will start setting in, although beard oil should help with that.
You could try backing off on the beard wash. Depending on how active you are and how much you sweat, you may only need to wash it once or twice a week.
Beyond that, you may just have to tough it out for now. Before long the itch will go away

Agree with the poster saying stop using the oil.

Use coconut oil instead. It relieves irritation, and moisturizes. Also, check the ingredients on that brand. Some use other stuff besides natural oils. I would also suggest to switch brands if your problems end, once you stop using the cremo stuff

I would suggest: use hair conditioner to "co-wash" your beard in the shower once a day. Use some sort of shampoo 1-2 week in the shower and always rinse very well.
Don't use oil for a while....

Get some oil w NO smell (just get a bottle of grape seed or apricot ) and use once a day after a pause.

What do you mean by, "irritation"? Does it itch? Youre about at the point where the itch will start setting in, although beard oil should help with that.
You could try backing off on the beard wash. Depending on how active you are and how much you sweat, you may only need to wash it once or twice a week.
Beyond that, you may just have to tough it out for now. Before long the itch will go away

Yes Itch, It's unbearable. lol

When growing a beard there can be a point where an itch does develop early in the process, but generally this settles down after a while. Washing out natural oils with soaps or washes will only make this worse. If you feel you must use an oil, then use something without fragrance, something completely natural -- almond grape seed, jojoba etc.

Gotcha. The beard itch is a thing that happens with a new beard and will go away with time. Beard oil helps to lessen it, as does beard balm when your beard gets longer and you need a bit of control.
One thing to remember is that beard oil is for the skin and beard balm is for the hair. Beard oil will restore the oil and moisture to the skin because the longer your beard is, the more it draws oil off of the skin.
Beard balm will not add oil or moisture to the skin but it will help to lock the oil into the hairs, as well as giving a bit of control so that you dont get flyaway hairs.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Pure bristle brush. It might be not clearing the dead skin that's causing the itch, or maybe an accumulation of product. A pur bristle brush, and light application of a good beard oil, should be all you need. The other beard products are just a way to coax money out of you in my opinion.

The other beard products are just a way to coax money out of you in my opinion.
I dont know about that. Beard oil has its limitations too. For one, it evaporates somewhat quickly, so you have to reapply it every 6-8 hours.
I can put a good beard balm in my beard and it will hold it in place all day, lock in the moisture so that it doesnt itch and still last all day.
IMO, they both have their place. Beard oil is great for restoring the oil to your skin after you wash your face or take a shower but I also like a beard oil or beard butter at night for locking the moisture into your beard, conditioning the hairs and for giving your some hold and control over flyaways.
IMO, you dont really NEED any of it. Theres plenty of homeless men who have epic beards. Products just make it better and more bearable though.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I dont know about that. Beard oil has its limitations too. For one, it evaporates somewhat quickly, so you have to reapply it every 6-8 hours.
I can put a good beard balm in my beard and it will hold it in place all day, lock in the moisture so that it doesnt itch and still last all day.
IMO, they both have their place. Beard oil is great for restoring the oil to your skin after you wash your face or take a shower but I also like a beard oil or beard butter at night for locking the moisture into your beard, conditioning the hairs and for giving your some hold and control over flyaways.
IMO, you dont really NEED any of it. Theres plenty of homeless men who have epic beards. Products just make it better and more bearable though.

Hmm... you seem to be talking about balm as a styling product. I intentionally trimmed my beard (when I had full beard) so that it fell into the right shape without styling aids. Basically, let it settle into it's natural shape, rough trim it with clippers, let it settle for a couple of days, and then fine tune as required. That way, I wasn't trying to force it to go somewhere it didn't want to, it just naturally took the right shape.

I agree the oil is as much for the skin, as it is for the hair. I made my own. 50% fractionated coconut oil, 25% argan oil, 25% jojoba. That worked really well, and didn't need refreshing during the day. If I did, it looked oily instead of natural.

As for drying out, I washed with water only most of the time, just as I did my hair. I might use a regular soap every two or three days, but would use oil immediately afterwards. Never had skin issues, issues with smell, or anything else. If I got drinks or food in it, water and brush would get it out just fine, so long as I didn't let it linger. I did regularly shampoo the brush I used, and that, plus washing with water alone (only occasional soap use), kept everything as it needed to be.

Hmm... you seem to be talking about balm as a styling product. I intentionally trimmed my beard (when I had full beard) so that it fell into the right shape without styling aids. Basically, let it settle into it's natural shape, rough trim it with clippers, let it settle for a couple of days, and then fine tune as required. That way, I wasn't trying to force it to go somewhere it didn't want to, it just naturally took the right shape.

I agree the oil is as much for the skin, as it is for the hair. I made my own. 50% fractionated coconut oil, 25% argan oil, 25% jojoba. That worked really well, and didn't need refreshing during the day. If I did, it looked oily instead of natural.

As for drying out, I washed with water only most of the time, just as I did my hair. I might use a regular soap every two or three days, but would use oil immediately afterwards. Never had skin issues, issues with smell, or anything else. If I got drinks or food in it, water and brush would get it out just fine, so long as I didn't let it linger. I did regularly shampoo the brush I used, and that, plus washing with water alone (only occasional soap use), kept everything as it needed to be.
Well, I mean, balm is a styling product, as well as a leave in conditioner.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I wore a beard for many years. All I ever did was shampoo it when I shampoo'd my hair. That and kept it trimmed. No oils, no balms, no non-sense!

I wore a beard for many years. All I ever did was shampoo it when I shampoo'd my hair. That and kept it trimmed. No oils, no balms, no non-sense!

Same here. I would wash it 1-2 times a week (unless I ate something sticky or did a bunch of yard work and needed to get the sweat and dirt out) and typically would use a small amount of my wife's hair shampoo. I also would use Dr bronners, this was better on my sensitive face skin then shampoo but a little more harsh on my dry beard hair then shampoo. Only time I would use any oil was between about 4-6 weeks of growth to help curb the itch and even then I was never fully satisfied with it's use. I then experimented with using plain clear aloe and that worked wonders! It hydrates dry beard hairs, helps reduce skin irritation, provides a light hold without feeling heavy or wet, doesn't make your beard look shiny, and is super cheap.

Still, if I'm going 'as long as it can grow' I don't use anything besides occasional washing and trims.

Top Bottom