What's new

Beard Grain direction.

Silly question but I don't know which direction under my chin, and left/right below the cheeks, and left/right neck area grows. Are there any diagrams out there?

It won't be the same for everyone., especially on the neck. Many people have whorls or sudden changes of direction. Try letting your beard grow for a few days and take some photos.

whorl1.jpg

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Pretend your stubble is a cat’s fur.

If you run your hand on it and don’t immediately expect claws and a bite, that’s “with the grain.” WTG

If you run your hand on it and know it’s only a matter of time before front paws and teeth lock you in place for the back paws to deliver pain, thats “across the grain.” XTG

If you run your hand on it and know it’s a race with the devil to avoid your punishment, that’s “against the grain.” ATG

It won't be the same for everyone., especially on the neck. Many people have whorls or sudden changes of direction. Try letting your beard grow for a few days and take some photos.

+1. Dont' shave for a few days and take a few selfies.

Or rub the edge of a credit card in different directions over your stubble. WTG will be much quieter. ATG will make a racket.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Silly question but I don't know which direction under my chin, and left/right below the cheeks, and left/right neck area grows. Are there any diagrams out there?
Good idea to map your beard grain, you will get better shaves regardless if it is with cartridge,DE,SE,electric or straight. You should enjoy your shave better.
Template I used, kind of looks weird to me even -but it helps(print one off). like some one suggested take a few days growth to see better the directions your beard goes. For pickups I use feel with just a little lather to feel the direction for the best approach, this seems to work very well.
FullSizeRender (1).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
Diagrams don't work.
It's different for every person. If you shave every day you will eventually figure it out and learn it.
When I first started wetshaving I was clueless, now I can do all my passes wth my eyes closed and half asleep and always go the right direction. With time you will also be able to, so don't sweat it, because you will learn it.

Good idea marking a template as a plan for future shaving. This will enable you to adopting a modus operandi for your shaves which will greatly help. Rubbing a cotton ball on a day's stubble will give you good feedback as to grain in the various areas you referred to.
Most important though, enjoy your shaves and don't chase BBS.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Diagrams don't work.
It's different for every person. If you shave every day you will eventually figure it out and learn it.
When I first started wetshaving I was clueless, now I can do all my passes wth my eyes closed and half asleep and always go the right direction. With time you will also be able to, so don't sweat it, because you will learn it.
With a map you should learn quicker or even photos, not sure what you mean Diagrams don't work! :wink2:
I know from my experiences it helped myself and no doubt others.

‘Different strokes for different folks!’ (Or YMMV as we say around here.)

That said, mapping my beard using a diagram helped me understand my beard growth pattern. The result was much improved shaves! :a29: :a29:

Mapping helps most shavers. Suggest doing it several times over a period of a week or so. The first will give you the general patterns of your beard. After a couple shaves, evaluate the results and do it again. You may find some areas that were not mapped quite right. Like any other part of shaving, practice improves results.

Top Bottom