What's new

Beard conditioner

Any thoughts on beard conditioners? I see them on the shaving supply sites, and am curious.

Are they effective? How do they match up with aftershaves?

Are they best applied in the morning, or in the evening?

Thanks for the link. Amazon sells the beard balm.

Italian Barber has Bluebeard's Original Beard Saver, RazoRock Coconut Beard conditioner, as well as items from Crwon Shaving and GFT pomade.

Fendrihans has some Brooklyn Grooming beard balms and Bluebeard's.

Men's Essentials has the largest selection of Beard Balms oils etc.

Just have to pick one to try. Mayb eafter the November GRU I will head over there.

Hi Pepin, I've tried the Bluebeard's, and I found it to be ok, but pricey for what it was. I ended up researching and making my own beard oil, which I am enjoying much more and I find that it does a better job of conditioning and moisturizing both my beard and the skin under the hair.

Not very hard to do, and relatively cheap.

I shamelessly use the girlfriends conditioner in the shower if i have 2,3 days growth. Interesting that they make this though.

MY vandyke does get a little unruly at times, so that is why I decided to try one of these products.

Had down to three: the Bluebeard Original Beard Saver, Beard Balm, or Portland Beard Company oil.

I did end up ordering the Blubeards beard saver. Will see how it is next week.

Every couple days I use my wife's conditioner in the shower. I use beard oil to keep it conditioned other than that. I perfer Beard Brand over Grave Before Shave. Been thinking about a beard balm lately though since I'm keeping my beard shorter than I was before.

I have been using the Bluebeard's Original Beard Saver for a week now; it is a cream, and I work it in with my fingers.
- It does seem to soften the beard;
- When first applied it has a strong sweet lime scent, but will fade after 15 or 20 minutes:
- Best of all I can comb my beard after applying it, and it will keep it in place (my main goal).

I am curious to try others such as Honest Amish beard balm, Beard Balm, and an oil like Portland Beard Co.

Oh oh sounds like the beginning of an AD :blushing:

Not sure why, but the idea of a leave in balm conditioner just doesn't appeal to me. Does the balm sort of work in and not end up like regular hair would be with conditioner left in it? Fairly different type of thing vs the hair conditioner?

Not sure why, but the idea of a leave in balm conditioner just doesn't appeal to me. Does the balm sort of work in and not end up like regular hair would be with conditioner left in it? Fairly different type of thing vs the hair conditioner?

The balm does work into the beard, and after a short while you will not notice it. The scent fades, and there is no "stiff" or "crunchy" feeling as with some hair products.

The balm does work into the beard, and after a short while you will not notice it. The scent fades, and there is no "stiff" or "crunchy" feeling as with some hair products.

Hrm.... I may have to try one then, compare it to the oil, see which I prefer... lol

Hi Pepin, I've tried the Bluebeard's, and I found it to be ok, but pricey for what it was. I ended up researching and making my own beard oil, which I am enjoying much more and I find that it does a better job of conditioning and moisturizing both my beard and the skin under the hair.

Not very hard to do, and relatively cheap.

Details of the home made?

I used equal parts of argan oil, jojoba oil and sweet almond oil. I added a few drops of tea tree oil to help with irritation and then scent with essential oil as you like. I went with lavender. Less is more as I found that the scent strengthens a bit after you add it.

I used equal parts of argan oil, jojoba oil and sweet almond oil. I added a few drops of tea tree oil to help with irritation and then scent with essential oil as you like. I went with lavender. Less is more as I found that the scent strengthens a bit after you add it.

WOW that was quick:001_smileappreciate that.

I was thinking grapeseed oil but the almond oil sounds good.

Grapeseed would work but when I was looking at all the different properties of the oils, sweet almond stood out over the others.

On a side note, I also took some unrefined shea butter and whipped it (shhh don't tell the wife I used her mixer) with some argan oil, jojoba and sweet almond. I scented it with grapefruit and bergamot. Take a little bit of this and rub it in my fingers until it melts and I work it through my facial hair and skin.

The home-made beard oil sounds interesting. Where do you buy the oils, Health Food stores?

What volume do they come in? I would think that you only need a few drops to work into the beard, and a bottle would last for years.

I am looking for something that has a bit of "sculpting" ability, as my Van Dyke grows in it tends to grow to one side. I would like to be able to put in something and comb straight. The beard conditioner seems to help a bit, but as it is not too long at this time I have to wait and see how it works on a long beard length.

It does seem that i have picked up a new AD, the BBAD!

For the oils, I buy them from a local B&M in bulk so I can get just a little bit. Maybe google soap making supply stores in your area as they are the ones that tend to sell the oils in bulk. Alternatively, I could always send you a sample if you want - PM if that is your desire. I currently have a Lavendar and Tea Tree scent combination.

If you really want control of your facial hair, find an Indian Grocer (think Punjabi market, don't know how big the population is in Ontario but worst case, road trip to Brampton?) and look for a product called Fevicol (I think that's how it is spelt in English). It's what Indian men use to keep their long beards under control through the day. My dad swears by it and the best part is it probably costs a few bucks for a big bottle.

For the oils, I buy them from a local B&M in bulk so I can get just a little bit. Maybe google soap making supply stores in your area as they are the ones that tend to sell the oils in bulk. Alternatively, I could always send you a sample if you want - PM if that is your desire. I currently have a Lavendar and Tea Tree scent combination.

If you really want control of your facial hair, find an Indian Grocer (think Punjabi market, don't know how big the population is in Ontario but worst case, road trip to Brampton?) and look for a product called Fevicol (I think that's how it is spelt in English). It's what Indian men use to keep their long beards under control through the day. My dad swears by it and the best part is it probably costs a few bucks for a big bottle.

Thanks for this tip, Harp.

Top Bottom